LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 01-07-2017, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Need To Upgrade Machine...

I purchased my first house just over 9 years ago and that very first Christmas my family chipped in and purchased a small, single stage blower for about $400 I believe. It does OK on powder snow of up to 6" but anything wetter or deeper than that and it struggles and I'm better off getting the shovel out. I need to upgrade my machine and am looking for advice.

My driveway is about 65' long and by the road is about 10' wide. As you get closer to the house then you can easily fit 3-4 cars across so it's fairly wide up there. It's basically flat with no slope but it's older and beat up a bit. Machine would be stored in the garage attached to the house. We probably tend to get wetter, heavier snow here and in the past few years we've received quite a few 10" and more storms. I live in a cul de sac so the plows don't really get close to my driveway which means I have even MORE snow to clear since I need to get a part of the road as well.

My brother has a slightly better single stage machine and much smaller driveway. He'll usually clear his driveway and then bring his machine to my house to help me finish mine. When we're done with mine then we'll load up both machines and go take care of our parents house. We all live within about 5-10 minutes of each other.

I'm sick of our wimpy machines, especially with my driveway so it's time for an upgrade. I'm not leaning towards any brands, I just want something to make clearing my driveway as easy as possible.

What features should I be looking for? I also have a 1/2 ton pickup so ideally I'd like to get a set of loading ramps to drive the machine up into the bed of my truck to take it to my parents house.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-07-2017, 07:26 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 592
Garage
jmo...stay away from the " off brands".....and focus on ariens, toro, or honda 2 stagers ..for the hondas you need deep pockets tho. if you have made due with a ss machine......my advice would lean towards an ariens 24 " unit.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes JD in NJ liked this post
post #3 of 21 Old 01-07-2017, 08:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 90
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 306
Likes (Received): 137
I have not used one myself but several members have them and they are very pleased with how much snow they can move and how fast.

Toro SnowMaster® 824 QXE with a 252cc

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD
post #4 of 21 Old 01-07-2017, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Just my uneducated mind here, but I was looking at these two machines.

I'm looking at a 30" Ariens Deluxe and a 3 stage Cub Cadet 28". They both are running the same price but I like the metal chute on the Ariens.
post #5 of 21 Old 01-07-2017, 10:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandcamper22 View Post
Just my uneducated mind here, but I was looking at these two machines.

I'm looking at a 30" Ariens Deluxe and a 3 stage Cub Cadet 28". They both are running the same price but I like the metal chute on the Ariens.
ariens all the way,between those 2

2017 Ariens 24 deluxe 921045
2005 Ariens 8526 932105(sold)
Ariens ss522 (sold)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes JD in NJ liked this post
post #6 of 21 Old 01-07-2017, 10:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 14
Garage
First you need to determine how much money you want to spend. You already know the size of the area you will be working with so then you have to estimate how much snow your area gets and last how much time do you want to spend clearing the snow? I would go with the larger Ariens even though it`s only 2 inches.
post #7 of 21 Old 01-07-2017, 11:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
Between those two, deluxe 30 and don't think anymore on the matter. DO IT!
post #8 of 21 Old 01-07-2017, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Geez, I need this thing sooner rather than later. Last spring I took care of my little 98CC Toro and put her in the shed. Today we got about 7" of powder snow and it just finished up about an hour or two ago so I got dressed and headed to my shed. I took the carb apart and it was junked up even though I took care of everything in the spring. I got it cleaned up and then filled her up with a new gas mix I made about a month ago with stabilizer.

She wouldn't start. Pull after pull and nothing. Got the extension cord out and the electric start didn't work either. I ended up just grabbing the shovel and got to work. I did about 60-70% of my driveway before calling it quits about 11:15pm. I'll finish the rest tomorrow by hand before heading to my parents house.

I'm not opposed to other machines if there are better ones out there. The machines I listed above were running $1,399.
post #9 of 21 Old 01-08-2017, 12:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 108
Likes (Given): 107
Likes (Received): 252
Ariens is one of the top brands in snow blowers, Not going to find much better, might find a equal but not a lot better. Get the Ariens, I want a new one myself.
post #10 of 21 Old 01-08-2017, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
OK, so if I decide on Ariens then I have more options....

30" Ariens Deluxe runs about $1,399 with a 306cc engine and 50' throwing distance
24" Ariens Platinum runs about $1,499 with a 369cc engine and 55' throwing distance

Even though the Deluxe is 6" wider, it's still about 10 lbs lighter then the Platinum and the Platinum has a slightly larger fuel tank. The only other difference between the two is the chute rotation. The Deluxe says it has a crank turn and the Platinum says it's a quick turn but I don't know what those differences are. Other than that, everything else seems to be the same.

Will the increased power of the Platinum be enough to make up for the 6" of clearing width you're losing?

Also, will these machines safely make it up and down a set of ramps so that the blower could be loaded into the bed of a standard 1/2 ton pickup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page