LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-09-2017, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Newbie question: engine throttle

I just bought my first snow blower and got it set up. Reading the instructions I had a couple questions, including what should in done when the instructions say "set the throttle to the desired setting". I'm, okay, but what if I don't know what I do or should desire??

I googled around but didn't find much info. What I did find had people generally saying they ran wide open/fast. But when I called with my few questions the rep answered most satisfactorily... except that one. For that I was told I should be run it at slow. Butdidn't get much of an explanation as far as the pros and cons.

I always like to make an informed decision so I turn to you... what benefits do I get from running fast vs slow? Does fast literally move it (turn the wheels) faster? More power to the auger and impeller? What difference would I see? What's the benefit to running slower? Less wear in the engine? Lower gas consumption? What?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-09-2017, 09:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 8
What brand and model?

Higher throttle position is going to allow the machine to do work with greater ease. In my opinion you're better off keeping the throttle up, aiming better, and angling down the chute. If necessary you could back off the throttle if that isn't sufficient. That would then decrease the throw range.

Downside is going to be fuel consumption decreases with higher rpms.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-09-2017, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
to SBF fredct

I usually run mine at or close to full throttle as they seem to work better there.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks rkchainsaw thanked for this post
Likes rkchainsaw liked this post
post #4 of 18 Old 01-09-2017, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 336
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 762
Small gas engines on lawnmowers, snowblowers, riding motors, rototillers, etc. should *Always* be run full throttle, max speed the throttle lever allows, when doing what they are supposed to do, for two reasons:

1. They are air-cooled. They are designed to run at full throttle for maximum cooling. Running them at half-throttle or slower (for an extended time, 5 minutes or more) can be dangerous and bad for the engine, causing the engine to over-heat and be potentially damaged. Running at full throttle is better for the engine's health, they were designed for it.

2. The machine the engine is attached to is better at doing its job when the engine is at full- throttle. Again, this is by design. The engineers who designed these machines knew what they were doing.

Yes, cooling isnt as big of a concern in the winter as it is in the summer...cooling is much more important for a lawn mower in the summer...but there is no reason *not* to run a snowblower at full throttle when blowing snow, it will work much better that way, and it wont hurt the engine at all.

Your "desired" throttle speeds are generally:

1. Starting position, usually 50% or 75% of max. Put it there when first starting the engine, start 'er up, then put it to full throttle after 5 to 10 seconds.

2. Blowing snow: full throttle, always..

3. Stopping, turning off the augers, bring the throttle down to 50% so you can hear better while your wife yells something to you from 20 feet away, thats fine for a minute or two, but put it back to full throttle when you resume.

4. Shutting it down for the day: slowly bring the throttle down, slowing down the engine over a 5 to 10 second span, until it shuts off. Or bring to lowest idle, and turn off with the key.

Scot

Last edited by sscotsman; 01-09-2017 at 10:32 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks uberT thanked for this post
post #5 of 18 Old 01-09-2017, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks everyone! I got a Cub Cadet 2X 26" HP. Very well rated in the places I looked and I got in a trial run after I set it up when it snowed this weekend (though I hadn't yet cancelled my plow so I didn't do the whole driveway). So far so good.

Scot, only thing you said that the manual
directly disagrees with is #1. It says to move it to full throttle (and full choke) before starting (I'm 99% sure... I'm heading to bed and I don't have the manual in front of me but I'll double check in the morning). Do you feel strongly enough about that that I should ignore the manual there?
post #6 of 18 Old 01-10-2017, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I did review the manual... it says to put the speed control on fast, set choke to full choke, press the primer bulb 3 to 5 times, pull the starter cord or run electric start, move the choke down once it runs smoothly until you're on no choke, and move the speed control to the "desired" position. It's an MTD engine.

Open to suggestions if people think I shouldn't start it on fast but of course I'd otherwise intend to follow the manual...

So it sounds so far like people say to run it on fast unless I'm idling for a bit. It's more power and actually better for the engine. The only pro of slower is it would use less gas? Any other perspectives?
post #7 of 18 Old 01-10-2017, 09:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 44
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 235
Likes (Received): 47
The ONLY time i lower the throttle is when i need to stop the machine to hear better (Wife yelling out the window, Neighbor stopping by to say hi etc etc).

2016 Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO AX306cc (921044) | Drift Cutters | Front Weight Kit | Handwarmers
1965 Ariens 10ML60D with 1970 10,000 Series Sno-Thro Attachment 10995 | Tecumseh H70-130216G (7HP)
2016 Ariens Razor SP Mower AC159cc (911175)
2016 Predator 8750 Peak/7000 Running Watt Generator 13HP 420cc (69671)
post #8 of 18 Old 01-10-2017, 09:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 35
Likes (Received): 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
Small gas engines on lawnmowers, snowblowers, riding motors, rototillers, etc. should *Always* be run full throttle, max speed the throttle lever allows, when doing what they are supposed to do, for two reasons:

1. They are air-cooled. They are designed to run at full throttle for maximum cooling. Running them at half-throttle or slower (for an extended time, 5 minutes or more) can be dangerous and bad for the engine, causing the engine to over-heat and be potentially damaged. Running at full throttle is better for the engine's health, they were designed for it.

2. The machine the engine is attached to is better at doing its job when the engine is at full- throttle. Again, this is by design. The engineers who designed these machines knew what they were doing.

Yes, cooling isnt as big of a concern in the winter as it is in the summer...cooling is much more important for a lawn mower in the summer...but there is no reason *not* to run a snowblower at full throttle when blowing snow, it will work much better that way, and it wont hurt the engine at all.

Your "desired" throttle speeds are generally:

1. Starting position, usually 50% or 75% of max. Put it there when first starting the engine, start 'er up, then put it to full throttle after 5 to 10 seconds.

2. Blowing snow: full throttle, always..

3. Stopping, turning off the augers, bring the throttle down to 50% so you can hear better while your wife yells something to you from 20 feet away, thats fine for a minute or two, but put it back to full throttle when you resume.

4. Shutting it down for the day: slowly bring the throttle down, slowing down the engine over a 5 to 10 second span, until it shuts off. Or bring to lowest idle, and turn off with the key.

Scot
Scot,

I don't think I understand you on point 1. At max throttle I would think they should be generating the most heat, seeing as there are more ignition cycles per time period than at any other setting. Sure, the engines are air cooled but it's passive cooling, not some kind of active cooling with an engine-driven fan that achieves maximum efficiency at higher speeds. What am I missing here?
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks rkchainsaw thanked for this post
Likes rkchainsaw liked this post
post #9 of 18 Old 01-10-2017, 09:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD in NJ View Post
Scot,

I don't think I understand you on point 1. At max throttle I would think they should be generating the most heat, seeing as there are more ignition cycles per time period than at any other setting. Sure, the engines are air cooled but it's passive cooling, not some kind of active cooling with an engine-driven fan that achieves maximum efficiency at higher speeds. What am I missing here?

There is actually a fan on the flywheel that move air through the shrouds around the engine fins, so its not exactly passive cooling. I put a throttle on my B&S engine a couple of years ago so that I could start it and warm it up gently, rather than 0-3600 rpm dead cold. That's just a personal preference knowing that an aluminum cylinder wall is way softer than a cast iron liner. I also slow the engine down after blowing while I sweep off the snow before parking it in the garage.

I agree that you need to run the engine full speed when working because the speed of the impeller is what moves the snow up and out the chute. Run it slow, and it will clog, and probably bog down since you are not using that horsepower and torque you paid for.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks JD in NJ thanked for this post
post #10 of 18 Old 01-10-2017, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 336
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredct View Post

Scot, only thing you said that the manual
directly disagrees with is #1. It says to move it to full throttle (and full choke) before starting (I'm 99% sure... I'm heading to bed and I don't have the manual in front of me but I'll double check in the morning). Do you feel strongly enough about that that I should ignore the manual there?
different engines have different starting positions..
on my 1971 Ariens the "start" position on the throttle label plate is about 75% of full speed.
Im not surprised that many newer engine have start set at full-throttle..
I dont know that it matters much either way.

I have always read that it's better to start slightly slower, not at full throttle, because you want to give it a few seconds for oil to get working lubricating the cylinders, and slower is better than faster for that process..but its likely a wash either way.

If in doubt, do what the manual says!

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page