LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-12-2017, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Question Help me decide...

Hello all, been reading the forum for some time and finally making my first post!

My 12 year old craftsman 24" 2 stage SB has been giving me problems with each use... it has become the family joke :-) I'm mechanically savvy but have maintained it with very little love over the years. Wife is ready to drop $1k in a new one but I'm struggling with making the final decision. Part of me wants to fix the current problem, a simple carb cleaning and fuel filter replacement should be all it needs... on the other hand I miss the days when it just worked reliably every time. So I can keep it running this winter and overhaul it over the summer... or replace it and sell the old one.

Second dilemma is what to look at if I am to buy a new SB. From my reading here it seems like Ariens and Toro have a similar following. Oh... I live in PA, 200' blacktop driveway, and snow falls usually averaging in the 6" with considerable snow drift and EOD mountain...

When shopping for my JD ride-on, I learned that the HD models have some lighter duty components as opposed to the dealer models... is that true for SBs as well? (My local dealer doesn't stand behind his work... but I'm sure I can find another not too far away)

From what I read, Ariens deluxe 24" should be well powered, however larger augers may stress the same motor more. I also looked at the Toro 3x series... I read good things but not sure if most is marketing hype or real world feedback. Seems like a 2 stage SB with a reinvented second stage impeller... I could see how this might shave away compacted snow a little easier. Am I on the right track or overlooking a better model in this price range?

Sorry for all the questions, I know you guys will steer me right!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-12-2017, 01:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 262
Do you have plenty of room for snowblower storage?
post #3 of 15 Old 01-12-2017, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Unfortunately not... too many toys forced the ride-on and SB to be stored outdoors last 2 years. I will be building a new shelter next summer...
post #4 of 15 Old 01-12-2017, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Your JD logo made me think of a Snow blower attachment for my John Deere LA125... sitting down in a sheltered ride-on doesn't sound too bad either!
post #5 of 15 Old 01-12-2017, 05:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 214
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1693
Likes (Received): 591
hello tuvix, welcome to SBF!! first off you are getting toro mixed up with troy built, toro doesn't make a 3x snowblower. like you I have limited space in my garage so a bucket much over 24" isn't going to fit in there, how well does your craftsman fit in your garage? sounds like one thing you want with your new snowblower is to have as much ( or more ) power than you have with your old snowblower

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #6 of 15 Old 01-12-2017, 06:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 35
Likes (Received): 14
Welcome.

\Ariens models sold at HD do not have downgraded components compared to the same model available anywhere else. A Deluxe 24 is a Deluxe 24. However, dealers can also carry higher end models than HD does (like the Pro line) and those will naturally enough have some upgrades.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-12-2017, 07:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard View Post
hello tuvix, welcome to SBF!! first off you are getting toro mixed up with troy built, toro doesn't make a 3x snowblower. like you I have limited space in my garage so a bucket much over 24" isn't going to fit in there, how well does your craftsman fit in your garage? sounds like one thing you want with your new snowblower is to have as much ( or more ) power than you have with your old snowblower
Like detdrbuzzerd said toro does not make the 3x. That is an mtd and you are correct it is a gimmick . With a 200 ft drive way I would buy a 28'' ariens or toro hd models . It will cost you a little more but well worth getting done sooner .

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
post #8 of 15 Old 01-12-2017, 10:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Received): 27
Garage
Cool Toro

Toro 928 HD or next model below it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Let It Snow
Toro 928 HD OHXE
Sent from my desk top using a key board.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-12-2017, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
My bad, you're absolutely right, I got my T's mixed up!

To be fair, my Craftsman 5.5HP / 24" (Model 31AS6BCE799) has served me well power wise. I'm open to larger widths but I had read some negativity about the Ariens Deluxe models above 24" being under powered as well as some issues with the turning assist... It was however the brand that stood out the most in reading this forum. Seeing I have no room for the 24" as is, bigger would not change the fact that I will need to build storage for it this coming spring.

I do have a bad back and cleaning everything up faster would be very beneficial, I could get to work faster in the morning!
post #10 of 15 Old 01-12-2017, 01:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 19
I'd look at toro's snowmaster

2017 Ariens 24 deluxe 921045
2005 Ariens 8526 932105(sold)
Ariens ss522 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page