LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 01-19-2017, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
New Engine For 1990s MTD Yay or Nay

Hi Guys, a work pal of mine gave me this big older MTD 33 inch blower, but with 1 hitch, the 12 hp Tecumseh was seized according to him.
As it turned out they used it after it was sitting out in the cold and neglected, and broke the connecting rod, as far as I can tell, but did not tear down the engine.
I pulled the engine, went over the machine, all looks pretty good, the front auger gear box looks ridiculously light duty, the drive and friction wheel areas look good, even the belts are in good shape.
I am planning on buying a Princess Auto Powerfist (Canadas Answer for Predator) Winter engine, 420 cc for a good deal less than $400 bucks.
Whats the thoughts on this , of course this is not an old Airens or John Deere machine, have had those and they are built for bullwork and to last, not sure why I ended up selling them.
Currently I do my long country driveway with a Polaris 500 and blade, but sure could use a blower once ina while to get the job done.
Here are some pics.
I am looking for the pitfalls and negatives on this machine, so lemme have it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 01-19-2017, 11:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 21
Likes (Given): 103
Likes (Received): 75
I don't see any pics,but you asked for opinions,so I'll oblige you.I wouldn't spend $400 to repair any MTD snowblower ever made.If I was given that machine and the twelve horse Tecumseh was good,I'd pull it and throw the rest of the blower away.

I don't know about your area,but here in NH,I can go on Craigslist any day of the week and find a very good used Ariens,like an ST824 for example,or a good classic Toro 826,or even newer models for $300 or less.If I saw an MTD on fire,I wouldn't piss on it to put it out if the owner said I could have it for free and he'd deliver it.Just my opinion,others will certainly disagree.
post #3 of 37 Old 01-19-2017, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C. View Post
I don't see any pics,but you asked for opinions,so I'll oblige you.I wouldn't spend $400 to repair any MTD snowblower ever made.If I was given that machine and the twelve horse Tecumseh was good,I'd pull it and throw the rest of the blower away.

I don't know about your area,but here in NH,I can go on Craigslist any day of the week and find a very good used Ariens,like an ST824 for example,or a good classic Toro 826,or even newer models for $300 or less.If I saw an MTD on fire,I wouldn't piss on it to put it out if the owner said I could have it for free and he'd deliver it.Just my opinion,others will certainly disagree.
Thanx Man, but not sure for what......LOL
Your US prices and availability is certainly not the same as in my area of Canada, but that's neither here nor there...
Personally am not a big fan of Tecumseh engines, prefer Briggs and Honda, have had a few Honda clones and all have been great so far.
But since I did ask for opinions (loaded question), would you oblige me on your disgust with MTD machines, or in other words what is you can tell me makes you say there garbage?
I don't certainly don't mind an honest answer, if that answer explains why...thanx anyway
post #4 of 37 Old 01-19-2017, 11:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 467
Likes (Received): 479
I am not familiar with MTD branded units, but being a 1990s should be a decently made blower.
If you evaluated it and it is in good shape, I'd say go for it, put the big motor and enjoy the Beast.....!
post #5 of 37 Old 01-19-2017, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsblowersfan View Post
I am not familiar with MTD branded units, but being a 1990s should be a decently made blower.
If you evaluated it and it is in good shape, I'd say go for it, put the big motor and enjoy the Beast.....!
Thanx Its one of those, should I or shouldn't I.
This unit is not too badly manufactured, metal fairly heavy, some obvious weaknesses and cheap production, but in okay shape.
Will post pics, don't do "Photobucket" so do not have permission to post attachments from my files...
post #6 of 37 Old 01-20-2017, 12:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 467
Likes (Received): 479
You can start posting on other threads post counts move quick, 15 posts and you'll be able to post pics with links....
post #7 of 37 Old 01-20-2017, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsblowersfan View Post
You can start posting on other threads post counts move quick, 15 posts and you'll be able to post pics with links....
Thanx again, guess I better get busy...
post #8 of 37 Old 01-20-2017, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Just a qualifier, I am not against Tecumseh engines, as have owned a few , just had more trouble with them, maybe just my luck...
post #9 of 37 Old 01-20-2017, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Were the 1980s MTD products a lot better built than say 1990s and 2000s?
post #10 of 37 Old 01-20-2017, 07:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 51
I wouldnt bother unless u can find a used eng for real cheap.

-efisher-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page