LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 01-22-2017, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 107
Likes (Received): 250
recommendations for smaller blower

Last big snowfall I brought my little Snapper 6/22 for my brother to try on the hill driveway and it worked great. He wanted to buy it from me but well.... I want to keep it so he wants to find a new one, Only problem is there is not a lot of storage and he won't have room for anything bigger. Strangely enough nobody seems to make any smaller ones except Toro and the only place that carries them is HD and there is none to be had LOL He is rather anal and does NOT want used or to order one. Only one I could think of is the ariens compact 24 but may be a little out of his price range, What would you recommend and we can search out one to go look at. He did see the Troy bilt 24". even though not the best quality but does fit his criteria but hoped there was another smaller one out there that would be compact and work for him. light duty only because it's not a big driveway, already has a honda single stage but wants a 2 stage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-22-2017, 08:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 7
I know you said he wants a two stage, but look at the Honda HS720. I have the AA version. It's seriously good. They say it's the single stage that throws like a two stage and that's no lie. I live in Utah and we have snow that we need to MOVE. It's not all light and fluffy ski powder, either. Not by a long shot.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-22-2017, 08:45 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
look for a toro 3521, 421, or 521
post #4 of 21 Old 01-22-2017, 08:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
For a tight budget and little use $449 22"

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bolens-179c...6-4c4624856554

post #5 of 21 Old 01-22-2017, 09:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 2
Tell him to check out the Toro Snowmaster range.

They're technically "single stage" (in that there is no propeller) but have power wheels, power steering, joystick chute control, skids, and many other things you won't find on any other single stage. They're kind of a 1.5 stage snowblower (not really, but they have a mishmash of features from both single and two stage blowers).

I would ask why exactly he wants a two stage? I mean how is his single stage letting him down and what from a two stage does he want? Knowing more about his current problems will help guide what to get him next.

PS - Any two stage will take up more space than a single stage. The Toro Snowmaster is smaller than most two stages but bigger than most single stages, it is comparable to some of the "compact" two stages.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-22-2017, 10:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsblowersfan View Post

Manual chute control, eewwwww, lol.

The Ariens 24 Compact and Toro 724OE get my vote for short length, that's why I love my Yamaha YS-624 so much. The Husq 224 just felt too big, too long, while the 300 series were shorter due to dual grip handle configuration and modified console/bezel.

Does HD or other retailer sell the Sno-Tek 24 by Ariens in the US? They used to have a 20" model, a nice little nimble machine with a 208cc engine, the chute deflector tip was manual though.

Sno-Tek 24 - Products - Ariens Sno-Tek

This looks like a great little machine at a fantastic price:

Sears.com

YAMAHA YS624 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 21 Old 01-23-2017, 12:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 84
GEvening Dauntae, it may be easier to find a new brother!!! But seriously, if your considering that little Bolens* (in name only), Walmart is selling it's twin brother in red, for $199.99. I also had a customer bring in an Ariens Path Pro, single stage. think it was a 22", that ran nice(After I fixed it_they ripped out the rope on the second pull-in a snow storm), and threw the powdery snow pretty far. It matters not, but if something goes amiss with your recommendation, it may get ugly. It's too bad that he won't go used, because those little Snappers are an excellent machine. I've sold 4-5, with confidence they won't be coming back to me broken!!!! GLuck, Jay
post #8 of 21 Old 01-23-2017, 06:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 13
Ariens has a new 20" two stage that would fit the bill except for price.
Ariens Compact 20" ST20LE 208cc Two Stage Snow Blower SnowBlowersAtJacks
post #9 of 21 Old 01-23-2017, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 336
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsblowersfan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregNL View Post

This looks like a great little machine at a fantastic price:

Sears.com
Dauntae, (the original poster)
FYI, 90% of forum members would never..ever...never never never never..
suggest that you buy a new "bottom of the line" MTD or *especially* a Powermore!
They are veeeeeery low-end, veeeeeery low quality, and the odds of having a LOT of problems with them, when brand-new, are very high.

You would have better luck buying a $250 40-year old Ariens than a $500 brand-new Powermore.
The quality and reliability of the 40-year old Ariens will be much higher, even when factoring in the age.

If you can only afford $500, IMO, you simply should not buy a brand-new 2-stage snowblower at all.
There are really no quality machines at that price point.
you would be much better off spending $200 to $400 on a used Ariens, Toro or Honda.
the quality and reliability of those (even when used) will be much higher than the Powermore.

if buying new, you should only look at: Ariens, Toro, Honda, Simplicity, Snapper, Briggs & Stratton.

I would pretend nothing else even exists.

Scot

post #10 of 21 Old 01-23-2017, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 107
Likes (Received): 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
Dauntae, (the original poster)
FYI, 90% of forum members would never..ever...never never never never..
suggest that you buy a new "bottom of the line" MTD or *especially* a Powermore!
They are veeeeeery low-end, veeeeeery low quality, and the odds of having a LOT of problems with them, when brand-new, are very high.

You would have better luck buying a $250 40-year old Ariens than a $500 brand-new Powermore.
The quality and reliability of the 40-year old Ariens will be much higher, even when factoring in the age.

If you can only afford $500, IMO, you simply should not buy a brand-new 2-stage snowblower at all.
There are really no quality machines at that price point.
you would be much better off spending $200 to $400 on a used Ariens, Toro or Honda.
the quality and reliability of those (even when used) will be much higher than the Powermore.

if buying new, you should only look at: Ariens, Toro, Honda, Simplicity, Snapper, Briggs & Stratton.

I would pretend nothing else even exists.

Scot
I tend to agree with you, I got him to push the budget to about $700 max and I had forgotten all about the Ariens snow tek 24" just spoke with the local Ariens dealer which is also the distributor for all the Ariens in the local Home Depot and they said they will take care of all warranty work as they are the ones who order for Home Depot. So I sent him a link and see if he might get that one. I really don't like the MTD rebrands myself.

As for why he wants a 2 stage, seems snow drifts like the driveway and if there is 6" snowfall there tends to be 12" on the driveway, And the EOD gets really big on his street and my little Snapper went through the last snowfall much faster than his Honda single stage with far less work on the hill because the single doesn't pull itself up the hill too well, New rubber in it also last year.

Last edited by Dauntae; 01-23-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in