Best snow cab? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-24-2017, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Send a message via AIM to Zach5.9CTD Send a message via MSN to Zach5.9CTD Send a message via Yahoo to Zach5.9CTD Send a message via Skype™ to Zach5.9CTD
Best snow cab?

Hey guys. Im sure this has been discussed before but im looking for what would be the best snow cab for my 2000 JD 828D blower.

Seems to ve a lot of options but i want a cab that isnt so shallow that your body basically sticks out from it. Also looking for a cab that avcepts a 6 ft tall guy without constantly hitting the top of the cab.

Initially looked for a JD specific cab but had no luck at all with that. If anyone knows of any JD cabs id sure like a part number. Heres pic of my machine in use with me behind it for a size referance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161217_125544.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	316.2 KB
ID:	97881  

Zach Hall
Iowa boy

2010 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel - soot cooker and EGR deleted - tuned via EFILIVE

1983 chevy c10 - under the knife becoming a big tire pro street truck powered by a custom big inch small block

1939 Dodge D11 Luxury Liner Deluxe - all original pretty WWII car, records show 1 of 270 built before the war

1996 Polaris Indy Trail 488cc snowmobile

2000 Polaris Indy SKS 700cc snowmobile

2002 JD LT160 lawn tractor

1999ish JD 828D blower
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-24-2017, 08:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 270
Likes (Given): 372
Likes (Received): 912
The best snow cab will be the one that fits through the garage door. Think about that before you buy. I have been moving snow for a lot of years and personally I 'd never put one on my blower. Next thing you'll be adding weight out on your auger bucket to compensate for the imbalance. This is JMHO. Others will have differing views.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #3 of 9 Old 01-24-2017, 09:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Received): 98
Your thinking is excellent. I am sure that there are areas that would probably really need a cab around the operator. But one of my first thoughts is, how would you and how... do you keep the plastic clear and clean from building up with snow that would block your vision? I am sure that there must be products out there that help with this but I will be curious to see what guys say who have these cabs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
The best snow cab will be the one that fits through the garage door. Think about that before you buy. I have been moving snow for a lot of years and personally I 'd never put one on my blower. Next thing you'll be adding weight out on your auger bucket to compensate for the imbalance. This is JMHO. Others will have differing views.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-24-2017, 09:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 31
I'm guessing you would have to look either used (ebay...etc) or come across a dealer that has some really old stock.

A google search turned up a "universal cab" that is marketed by some John Deere locations.
Universal Walk Behind Snow Blower Cab - 25016

I share similar thoughts with Micah on cabs, though I put one on my old JD TRS26 thinking it's what I wanted...(I did the same thing once with a pickup topper also...two things I'll never own again) It was a universal (I want to think "Arnold" brand cab)

Our house had an incline to the driveway, and I'm not that tall (5'8") but ever time I wanted to lift the bucket or go up an incline, I'd be hitting my head on the cab. After one use, I took it off and promptly returned it as to me it seemed more like a PITA than useful. If I raised the cab higher, my snowblower light would be blocked by the cab and I was also to tall to put it in the garage. Lastly, it does make the snowblower even more rear heavy so some weights added to the front will help.

If it gets to crazy with the light/fluffy snow here in SD with the winds and I can't play them as they continue to shift, I toss on my snowmobile baklava and have an old pair of ski googles. May look a little goofy, but the face stays happy.

Steve

Simplicity 860DLXE (1694241)
post #5 of 9 Old 01-24-2017, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Send a message via AIM to Zach5.9CTD Send a message via MSN to Zach5.9CTD Send a message via Yahoo to Zach5.9CTD Send a message via Skype™ to Zach5.9CTD
Valid points guys. May think twice about one though the boxes seem really light for the cabs lol.

Zach Hall
Iowa boy

2010 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel - soot cooker and EGR deleted - tuned via EFILIVE

1983 chevy c10 - under the knife becoming a big tire pro street truck powered by a custom big inch small block

1939 Dodge D11 Luxury Liner Deluxe - all original pretty WWII car, records show 1 of 270 built before the war

1996 Polaris Indy Trail 488cc snowmobile

2000 Polaris Indy SKS 700cc snowmobile

2002 JD LT160 lawn tractor

1999ish JD 828D blower
post #6 of 9 Old 01-24-2017, 03:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Correct, Steve. Arnold does make a universal cab. At least they used to. I also do what you do if the wind gets crazy. I have a blaze orange baclava that I use for hunting and I also have my ski goggles. I could get a cab if I wanted one but I personally don't feel the pleasure is worth the pain.

Joe

Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
New.green shovel
post #7 of 9 Old 01-24-2017, 06:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 14
Garage
Why not try this for $13.99 at HF
Adjustable Face Shield
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_16916.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	97993  
post #8 of 9 Old 01-24-2017, 10:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Q View Post
Why not try this for $13.99 at HF
Adjustable Face Shield
I have one of those for heavy weedwacking and I actually tried it with my blower. I didn't like it for some reason that I can't recall but it was just the one time.
The ski goggles have a dual lens that stays ambient temp. Works much better. They're Scott brand.

Joe

Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
New.green shovel
post #9 of 9 Old 01-24-2017, 10:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 149
Just say no..... it destroys the balance or the machine and if you start in with counterweights you can start stressing things. Also, when the machine rides up the cab comes down and conks you in the head. Getting it to a shop (if that's something you do) will be a PITA. When the snow gets on that window what do you do?

Get into some good outerwear including a balaclava. Honestly, I've done my share of 0 degree F windy storms on 15,000 square feet that frequently takes over 3 hours at a time and my biggest concern is overheating.

The only thing that may make me consider otherwise is the need to wear prescription glasses while snow blowing.

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page