added fuel shut off valve, wont stay running...... - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-24-2017, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
added fuel shut off valve, wont stay running......

so, as the title says, i added a fuel shut off valve to my troy built storm 2840. pretty simple stuff, a couple snips, removed about 1/2" of line and put the valve in place. I made sure the directional arrow was pointing in the direction of fuel flow. I finished up, added fuel, primed it, fired right up. Ran for about 5 minutes and then began to studder and shut down. It was like it was starving for fuel. I went out, added a little more to the gas tank ( thinking i only added just a little and maybe it was running out ) but as added some more gas, about 30 seconds later, it dies. I primed it a 3 or 4 ties, fired right up again and after a couple minutes, did the same thing........and dies

I am at work now, so i have not had a chance to pull the valve and replace with just a straight line of hose again, but i guess that will be the test to do.

Anybody ever add a valve and have it do something like this? My thought was maybe the inlet/outlet was restricting fuel flow, but that doesn't make too much sense to me. I bought a few of these black/red plastic shut off valves from amazon, and the reviews seemed fine. I think they were oregon brand, but i'm sure its all the same valves sold under many names.....

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-24-2017, 12:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 42
Anything is possible with plastic valves. Some leak...some restrict flow. Most likely a bum valve, but make sure you have enough fuel in your tank for gravity to do its job. You may also have a tiny piece of newly cut hose blocking things. MH

1960 Ariens 45-10M
1961 Ariens 10M55
1977 Ariens 22000
1972 Ariens 10000
1990 Ariens ST724
1987 Toro 724
Murray Ultra 522
MTD Single stage
8 hp MTD hybrid plow
post #3 of 18 Old 01-24-2017, 12:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 50
It ran correctly before install?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4 of 18 Old 01-24-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Ran fine a week ago. A couple days ago I did pull the spark plug to clean it and gap it, but I ran it after reinstall to make sure it was good.

The fact that it runs for a couple minutes make me think a clog from a line particle isn't the issue.....
post #5 of 18 Old 01-24-2017, 02:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
it is possible some debris got in the line or came off of the inward of the line as well, could be lodged in the line or shut off, or maybe even made its way to the carb. I've never had an issue when installing a shut off valve though and I've done a few of em.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-24-2017, 04:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 571
Got to turn it on.......sorry I couldn't resist....pull the bowl and check the flow....
post #7 of 18 Old 01-24-2017, 05:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 50
Ive never had an issue adding a shutoff, im assuming its a clog in carb, or float sticking.

-efisher-
post #8 of 18 Old 01-24-2017, 06:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 84
GEvening noupf, Definitely worth taking out the valve first, as that's when the problem started? I've seen some of those red/black fuel shutoffs online, by way of slow boat from China, selling for 3/ .99. I'm willing to bet that they ARE NOT the same quality as the name brand valves I buy for $7. So buyer beware, economy costs money. If the valve removal cures the issue, try a better quality valve....They aren't all the same, despite LOOKING the same. GLuck, Jay
post #9 of 18 Old 01-24-2017, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayzAuto1 View Post
GEvening noupf, Definitely worth taking out the valve first, as that's when the problem started? I've seen some of those red/black fuel shutoffs online, by way of slow boat from China, selling for 3/ .99. I'm willing to bet that they ARE NOT the same quality as the name brand valves I buy for $7. So buyer beware, economy costs money. If the valve removal cures the issue, try a better quality valve....They aren't all the same, despite LOOKING the same. GLuck, Jay
two things.............

1) Would you mind showing me a quality shut of valve? Everything i find is like $15-20

2) I decided to pull the lines off completely. Once i removed the line attached to the inlet for the carb, i noticed some gunk on the top of the hole, i picked it out and it was almost like crisco, a booger of crisco.. So, i thought to myself, i wondered if the inside of the plastic fuel vale had any sort of lubricant inside..........so, i decided to pull one of these cheap valves apart and here is what i found. Should all that grease be in there????? Seems like a big fat NO to me and that some of that grease may have clogged by inlet line at the carb? THe clog was not the same color however, like i said, it was more white in color, sort of like crisco. I wonder if the mixing of grease and gas made it change colors a bit?

Anyhow, perhaps when i primed the carb, it would gave it enough fuel to run for a bit, but then the gunk just became too much and the flow of the gas stopped?

Its too late now to run the thing ( will wake my neighbors ), but ill have to either get a better valve ( now that i dont trust these plastic chinese things ) or just replace the line with a solid piece of hose like i had before and see how she runs.........

i'll update tomorrow when i get a chance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4110.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	98041  

Last edited by noupf; 01-24-2017 at 11:30 PM.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-24-2017, 11:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
not normal for sure.. throw that valve away!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page