LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 01-25-2017, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 4
Confusion: Ariens or Honda

Wow, these forums are a wealth of info but I'm one confused dude.

After deciding I'm going all in on a snowblower after twenty years of shoveling for wife and I, doing my research on here, I'm really undecided.

I originally was thinking about getting a 202cc Troy-Bilt but since I hope this is the first and last snow blower my wife and I will use, wanting to ensure my wife will be able to easily use it, I'm prepared to up my bid.

I hear locally (Breckenridge, CO) that the gold standard is the Honda. On here I see great things about the Ariens as well.

The Ariens Deluxe 30EFI and the Honda 928 AWD appeal to me but I have read on here the Honda has chute clogging issues perhaps, and it is of course about a grand more expensive. FYI: my local guy says there isn't a Honda 928 ATD to be had in the entire country.

But I digress.

My goal is to get a machine that my wife and I, in our advanced years of 67/68 soon, will be able to use with ease and reliability for the next decade or so.

Confusing even more are good comments about the Husgvarna and cub cadet!

Now the Honda guys says the ATD is better for being able to back up and be able for me to get up the one step to the porch pad and one step to the covered porch. Another said wheels would be better. Who to believe? I trust you guys.

Do I wait until next season while they work out the bugs and selection is more available? I can always shovel for 3 1/2 more months I suppose but I want to jump on the learning curve by using it this season.

Anyway, you guys or gals feel one way or another about either of the Ariens or Honda I mentioned?

Ladies, any thoughts on what may be user friendly to us - hate to say it - old but in shape types going into our seventies soon?

Thanks everyone for your patience and expertise.

Captain Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 01-25-2017, 11:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 26
Garage
I'm new to this blower thing. Bought my first one this year.
Will it be used in Breck? Bigger motor to accommodate for power loss at altitude.
Wheeled would be my choice. Easier on deck surface, wood.
Track can't be moved unless it's running.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Let It Snow
Toro 928 HD OHXE
Sent from my desk top using a key board.
post #3 of 43 Old 01-25-2017, 11:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 342
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 1033
Likes (Received): 175
I'd really try to use someone's machine in their environment. if you were in my area, I'd offer you to come over and try it for yourself. When I bought my first snow blower ('91 Honda 828) I tried out the previous generation 8hp at the dealer...no where near the conditions I have at home....flat, smooth parking lot vs. my stead with ups/downs left and rights, bumps and chunks here and there.

My immediate neighbors have: a 10 year old Ariens (wheeled), a 2 year old Husqvarna (wheeled) and a 15 year old Craftsman (tracked). I've used them all. I happen to favor tracks, and I love Swedish made Husqvarna chainsaws, but the Ariens was the best...outside of my Honda's...but there is the cost factor.

There are a fair amount of folks here who have good old Arien's, Toro's, Simplicity's, Deere, etc., but from my experience, I have the oldest original running blower in the neighborhood. It's still going strong.

There's got to be some people in your area that you can try their machines out.

Honda HS828TAS (1991) – Made in Japan with Thai built GX240
Honda HSS1332ATD (Late-2015) – Made in USA with Thai built GX390

180" to a rare 350" of snow per year (Alberta Clippers & Lake Michigan), 644' gravel driveway, 2 vehicle parking areas, 500' of trails around small house with an unheated garage.
post #4 of 43 Old 01-25-2017, 11:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post
...Track can't be moved unless it's running.
He is checking out a new Honda HSS...easiest machine to move around now that they have trigger release steering. I can move my 320 Lb. blower around about as easy as my walk behind lawn mower. Not kidding.

Now my older one with tracks, that is a bear to move when not running and difficult at times when running.

180" to a rare 350" of snow per year (Alberta Clippers & Lake Michigan), 644' gravel driveway, 2 vehicle parking areas, 500' of trails around small house with an unheated garage.
post #5 of 43 Old 01-25-2017, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
My neighbor with the 202cc Troy Bilt has wheels and no real problems. Do the trigger release steering require much strength? These old hands getting somewhat arthritic! 🙃
post #6 of 43 Old 01-25-2017, 12:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breckcapt View Post
My neighbor with the 202cc Troy Bilt has wheels and no real problems. Do the trigger release steering require much strength? These old hands getting somewhat arthritic! 🙃
I bet a wheeled version would still be easier. I've inherited arthritis and I'm just starting to feel it at 59, it comes and goes and when it's on, wow does it hurt to grab just about anything.

Huge difference between my HS and HSS blower though. The HSS is downright easy to move around, but there are still some situations where it is a bit tough to move, like when the temps rise and my drive starts to thaw (gravel/sand) and in the odd moments when I have to move it without it running.

I'll be taking my 13 in to the dealer on Friday. I'll try an HSS928 out. Last week they had three out on the floor. My shop manual says there is up to 77 lb difference between the 13 and 9. That could make a big difference right there. When in the garage, the 13 moves around like butta'.

post #7 of 43 Old 01-25-2017, 12:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 659
Thanks (Received): 168
Likes (Given): 1034
Likes (Received): 1072
Garage
I am researching too. Is your drive flat? then a wheeled machine is better. tracks are good for steep slopes.

I am switching to Ariens to a 10 hp and probably get the 28 inch from Jack's online. It is $1200 right now with FREE shipping and NO taxes. My neighbor got one and is very pleased.

Plus the honda hss928 is about $3400 plus taxes here. I have only had Hondas and they are great except for the price. I can get 3 brand new Ariens for the price of one Honda and they are the best seller ( or so I read ) in Canada. That is saying a lot.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #8 of 43 Old 01-25-2017, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks guys. Hopefully, when I get back to CO I will have the option to buy, given this harsh winter.
post #9 of 43 Old 01-25-2017, 01:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Interesting, one of my neighbors – about 2 miles down the road – (4.8 mile road with not too many homesteads on it), is Captain Grosvenor, operates the Manitou Island Transit out of the Leland Harbor. He just built a house with huge curved copper-clad roofs, very unique.

My wife's cousin is a recently retired captain out of Kennebunkport and one of her uncles was a captain for Amoco...I think out of Portsmouth. Interesting world.

To this day, on a good long walk along the eastern shore of Lake Michigan, I love finding a washed up flotsam lanyard with a good bronze swivel eye snap that isn't broken...found a few over the years. I'd return the good ones if they were identifiable.

post #10 of 43 Old 01-25-2017, 01:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
...Plus the honda hss928 is about $3400 plus taxes here.
My dealer has a few HSS928s (wheeled, non-elec start) for $2,579.95 and a tracked non-elec for $2,709.95.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page