LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 01-27-2017, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
First snowblower experience

Let's start with some background. I've been wanting to buy a snow blower for years, but we don't get heavy amounts of snow where I live, making it more of a want then a need item. A few weeks ago I decided to finally buy something, did some homework, and started browsing used snowblowers hoping to find a good deal on something that needs a little TLC. Well, I found it. A Husqvarna 10527SBE, says he bought it in 2011, original owner, I ran the ID plate number, it comes back as a 2005-2006 model, I'm guessing he got some old stock. The best thing about it? HE USED IT 3 TIMES IN 6 YEARS! This thing literally looked like new, kept in a heated garage, tucked in the corner. Settled on a price of $800 (CDN dollar), seemed like good deal to me.

I've been playing around with it the last couple weekends trying to get it running right. Started with hard starting, clean out the old gas, put some fresh in, fires right up until its warm, then it had a serious case of surging. Clean the carb out, doesn't surge any more, but defiantly has a miss fire, but I can't seem to isolate it. I figure let's do a service, the guy did tell me he hasn't even changed the oil since he bought it, so new oil and plug. Runs slightly better, but still a miss, however now I can isolate it to running lean under low load conditions (it clears up when I give it a little choke, and runs like a champ when I dig it hard into a snow bank). Tecumseh in their infinite wisdom has decided that their engine doesn't need an adjustable carb, I don't agree, so currently I'm waiting for the new adjustable one I ordered to come in. It should be here early next week, pretty sure after that she will purr like a kitten. Now all I need is a good dump of snow to really test it out and see what it can do. With my luck I probably wont see that until next season.

Anyway, I've been lurking this forum since I bought it, seems like a good place, so I figured I should join up and share my story.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-27-2017, 06:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 66
Before replacing the carburetor, check to see if simply cleaning the Idle Restricter Screw addressed in this video won't solve your problem.

I realize that the unit hasn't been used much; but that old gas sitting in the carb for years (?) may have produced the equivalent of several years worth of fuel additive deposits anyway.

I clean it every two years, or anytime I detect that surging when the unit IS NOT under load.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks orangputeh thanked for this post
Likes classiccat, Grunt liked this post
post #3 of 20 Old 01-27-2017, 06:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
+1 on what Vermont suggested. Classic sign of the lean circuit being obstructed... If that's the fixed jet carb, you don't even have to break it down since the obstruction is likely in the jet itself. However I'd at least drop the carb bowl and make sure any sediment is removed. May as well clean-out the fuel tank & blow-out that fuel line.

Nice Snowblower btw! It willl serve you well!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #4 of 20 Old 01-27-2017, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the tip, I cleaned it when I cleaned the carb, had the whole thing torn apart, cleaned everything, I did notice some deterioration in the main jet, looked like just a surface discolouration, but may have something to do with the problem. It did run significantly better after I cleaned it, previously it had a large surging idle where it would almost stall out, then pick back up and repeat, after cleaning it was completely eliminated, it easily holds constant rpm, but I can hear it stumble and miss after warming up. For what a new one is worth, I'm not going to mess around with this one much. Besides, I like fiddling with screws haha.
post #5 of 20 Old 01-27-2017, 07:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
Welcome and nice find although I think your blower is older than 2011
post #6 of 20 Old 01-27-2017, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ariens View Post
Welcome and nice find although I think your blower is older than 2011
defiantly is, Like I said, when I ran the ID plate, came back as a 2005-2006. I trust what's stamped on the machine over what the owner tells me. I think he bought it in 2011, and the dealer that sold it to him forgot to mention it was already 5 years old
post #7 of 20 Old 01-27-2017, 11:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Congratulations on your good bargain!

It sounds like you are headed in the right direction to get your machine ready for the next snow. Regular maintenance is the key to keeping the machine running well. The problems you are describing definitely sound like a carb problem like the others have said. I would also pull the spark plug to see what condition it is in and whether it is properly gapped. It should be in great shape with so little use but it is always good to verify that so you know what you are dealing with.

Did the user manual come with the machine? If not, you may want to download one so you can see what the manufacturer recommends for lubrication, maintenance and service procedures.

Toro 828 LXE
post #8 of 20 Old 01-27-2017, 02:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 103
Likes (Received): 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
defiantly is, Like I said, when I ran the ID plate, came back as a 2005-2006. I trust what's stamped on the machine over what the owner tells me. I think he bought it in 2011, and the dealer that sold it to him forgot to mention it was already 5 years old
I don't think I've ever gone to look at a piece of used outdoor power equipment any more than twice and NOT been told by the owner that it was at least 5 years newer than it actually was-especially when the appearance of the item changed little over the production run.

I went through this with the only Toro 521 I've ever seen for sale local to me.I went to check it out and the guy said he bought it new.I suspected it was much older than he was leading me to believe.I said I might be interested but wanted a day to think on it and made sure I took the serial number off it before I left.

I went home looked up the serial number range on Toro's website and confirmed my suspicions.I printed out the info and went back to the guy's house the next day and showed it to him.Needless to say,he wasn't happy with me and negotiations broke down at that point.

Last edited by Mike C.; 01-27-2017 at 02:29 PM.
post #9 of 20 Old 01-27-2017, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I feel the need to elaborate a little bit, while this may be my first snow blower, it's defiantly not my first time working on one. I'm just used to ..... Larger.... machines. While I appreciate all the tips and advice (one of the reasons I signed up for this forum, everyone is so friendly and helpful), trust me when I say I have it under control. I was more sharing my experience and joy at having a new toy rather then looking for help. I'm sure all of you can remember when you bought your first snowblower, and had to tell the world
post #10 of 20 Old 01-27-2017, 11:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 7
Snowblowers are awesome. Just got my first one and it gave me my winters back. Now, I can enjoy my favorite season without dreading every coming snow storm here in Utah and we definitely do get a lot of snow. Did the last two years with only a shovel after moving up from Arizona. Never again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page