LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 01-27-2017, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Unhappy Compatible Engines on Noma Snowblower

Hi all a newbie here, New to snowblowers in general. I picked up a used Noma Snow blower that had a HMSK80-155556U 8hp engine on it. Tried to run it once after doing the usual replacing oil and fuel with new fluids. It ran for about 3 minutes then the dreaded metal on metal crack and the engine seized. After a few hours of tinkering I found the rod had broken and under the starter motor a significant spiderweb of cracks and one branch that heads up toward the cylinder. Now I'm trying to find a way to get a working snowblower. Can anyone help me find out what engines I could use to replace this one or if I could get a replacement cylinder block or what is the cheapest, and easiest way to get this snow blower running again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-27-2017, 02:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 317
Likes (Received): 623
Dropping a used 8hp Tec is the easiest route. You should advise Your Location, as someone here may have an engine available. Or check your local CL. Good Luck.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-27-2017, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Should have listed location... You are right... I'm in Utah south of Provo.
So will any Tecumseh 8HP engine fit up correctly with the snow blower?
post #4 of 14 Old 01-27-2017, 03:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
The Only real Variable is the Crankshaft Diameter. You'll have to measure the Diameter, usually 3/4" or 1". Direct Bolt on, easy swap.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-27-2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks,
So forgive the newbie question here the crank shaft diameter in question is output shaft where the pulley's are and not the reverse side where the flywheel attaches correct?
I am finding Tecumseh 10 and 11 hp engines more readily on CL than 8's would those be viable options if shaft size is the same? Also is there a need to consider the height of the shaft relative to the base plate or are they all the same, or do the pulley's allow for differences if there is some?
post #6 of 14 Old 01-27-2017, 03:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Remove the pulleys to see what you have, and Match that up with any 8-10 tec. Easy Swap.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-27-2017, 03:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 175
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
The height is the same and if the pulley diameter is different, don't worry, go to a bearing store and order a pulley. Send the old pulley to me, I'll buy it, I'm serious.

The Noma is one of my favorite machines, probably has a high front and a 12" impeller.

Last edited by JLawrence08648; 01-27-2017 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Added another sentence
post #8 of 14 Old 01-27-2017, 09:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 132
Likes (Given): 200
Likes (Received): 283
Hi newbie10.
I'm in SLC. Sorry to hear about your blown engine. If it's a single shaft Tecumseh it may be a candidate for a predator swap. I've done a couple of them.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-28-2017, 08:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 326
I've only had one Noma to work on but IIRC it had a single shaft motor on it. If that's the case then it should be relatively easy to swap out. I've done it before, going from a 7 to 10 hp Tecumseh. Shaft difference made it necessary to get different pulleys. You might have to knock out the mounting studs and drill new ones for the new engine but that's not bad. You can also go with one of the clone engines, but you may have to rework some of your controls to fit around the engine, like the chute control.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-30-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you all for the replies and information. I now know that my current engine has a 3/4" crank shaft with a 3/16" keyway. I am finding some really nice replacement engines that I could bolt down and run with, but they come with a significant price tag too. I am finding some short blocks that I think will work great and are a little closer to what I want to spend. All the other parts of my engine are in great shape so I don't have any concerns there. My only thought was if I go and get a 10HP short block will my flywheel from my 8HP and ignition mate up correctly not only in size but in timing as well?
Also if anyone has any good ideas on where to pick up short blocks or engines at good prices I would appreciate your information. Currently Ebay is my best lead.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page