Gilson 10/32 monster: question for Spectrum on auger scars - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 01-27-2017, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 46
Likes (Received): 30
Gilson 10/32 monster: question for Spectrum on auger scars

This is a quick question for Spectrum on this last generation 10/32 Gilson made Lawn Boy snowblower.

In the enclosed pictures, you will see scaring on the exterior backside of the bucket - not scaring on the inside. By scaring, I mean the emergence of these faint rust-type lines which appear as if the auger is flowing around in its rotations and thus is scraping against the inside of the bucket. This is prevalent in many type of old, used machines - regardless of the manufacturer.

Why exactly is happening here - are the auger bearings worn out or is it something to do with something inside the auger gear case being worn and thus out of wack?

Link: 10HP 32" Snowblower Lawn Boy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00D0D_3UKjA4gdapg_600x450.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	98329   Click image for larger version

Name:	00d0d_3vQjttLhBwR_600x450.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	98337   Click image for larger version

Name:	01414_hhpJ5dkn8RJ_600x450.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	98345  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-27-2017, 08:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 149
I'm pretty sure if you look carefully inside you will see where stones have been bitten by the auger and carried around the The steel has been slightly dented outward cracking the paint and inviting rust. I have a crushed gravel driveway and see this happen from time to time.

On that 32" model you do want to watch the auger bearings. Those sintered bearings have been known to fail when loaded up by things like those stones. I have one that had the bearings fail and when it all went wild it took out the worm drive housing. The 6061 aluminum replacements I offer have done fine in all applications. The bucket cutouts do not accept the old school cast iron ball and socket bearings.

Pete
post #3 of 3 Old 01-28-2017, 08:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 326
That can happen with almost any brand of blower if the engine has enough power to keep it running with something like a rock going through the auger and getting between the auger rakes and the housing. It shouldn't hurt performance but it is an eye sore and it is fixable if desired.

Rebuilt a Craftsman that had that problem, the housing had big enough dents your could see and feel them on the outside. Probably stuck out 1/16" - 1/8" overall. I used a body hammer and curved dollies like would be used for auto repair to fix them (there were multiple ones). Disassembled the housing, dolly on the inside and slowly and carefully hammered it on the outside and got the dents removed. Abrasive blasted it due to rust, primed and repainted it and came out great.

Check your auger bearings too. That one was damaged so I converted it to roller bearings at the same time.

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Auger_Inside.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	98353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Repaired_Dent_Right.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	98361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Auger_Outside_Rustproofed.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	98369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Auger_Bearings-1.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	98377  

Last edited by HCBPH; 01-28-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes JayzAuto1 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page