Tecumseh Governor blown inside or not adjusted properly?? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 02-02-2017, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Tecumseh Governor blown inside or not adjusted properly??

Good morning,
I have a friend's Ariens 1332 Pro that I "volunteered" to fix for him. It seemed like your typical" I haven't ran it in a couple years" issue so iInitially I disassembled the carburetor and cleaned it but then determined it was too far gone so I replaced it. The machine starts now but I am having issues with very high idling and am suspecting the governor. Just wondering if you guys can tell by the short video clip if/how I would adjust the governor on this particular model as I haven't dealt with it before. There appears to be a small screw on the bottom linkage that affects the governor. I attempted to adjust that in and then/out but it doesn't seem to have affect. The other thing that causes concern is when I adjust the speed lever it doesn't have any affect on the motor even though the butterfly is moving on the carburetor. To further make things complicated, when the Engine is running and the Idle goes real high, if I attempt to manually move the throttle plate Away from the idle screw(which would increase speed) just to see what happens the speed actually decreases and it eventually stalls. I apologize if this was a confusing description. Hopefully the video clip Will clarify. As always thanks again for the help! PS it is a Tecumseh 13HP OHSK-130
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 02-02-2017, 12:02 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twes View Post
Good morning,
I have a friend's Ariens 1332 Pro that I "volunteered" to fix for him. It seemed like your typical" I haven't ran it in a couple years" issue so iInitially I disassembled the carburetor and cleaned it but then determined it was too far gone so I replaced it. The machine starts now but I am having issues with very high idling and am suspecting the governor. Just wondering if you guys can tell by the short video clip if/how I would adjust the governor on this particular model as I haven't dealt with it before. There appears to be a small screw on the bottom linkage that affects the governor. I attempted to adjust that in and then/out but it doesn't seem to have affect. The other thing that causes concern is when I adjust the speed lever it doesn't have any affect on the motor even though the butterfly is moving on the carburetor. To further make things complicated, when the Engine is running and the Idle goes real high, if I attempt to manually move the throttle plate Away from the idle screw(which would increase speed) just to see what happens the speed actually decreases and it eventually stalls. I apologize if this was a confusing description. Hopefully the video clip Will clarify. As always thanks again for the help! PS it is a Tecumseh 13HP OHSK-130
I don't see the attachment to the video. I think you forgot to add it. Can you add it please. Thank's.
post #3 of 36 Old 02-02-2017, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I apologize I'm having trouble posting the short video clip . I'm only able to post this pic which prob won't help much . I will try to post the video if possible .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0532_1486054894842.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	99009  
post #4 of 36 Old 02-02-2017, 12:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 30
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 109
Is it an adjustable carb. I can't tell from the pic. If so what did you set it to. I believe it should be 1.5 turns out from seated position. Unless the governor has been fooled around with or broken previously, it shouldn't need attention.

74 Ariens 832
8? FMC Bolens 824
02 White 4x4 Snow Boss
90 Lawn Boy ST320
88 Honda 300FW w/plow
post #5 of 36 Old 02-02-2017, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
It is a non adjustable carb. I have no way of knowing if someone messed with the governor before me . Im only leaning that way because the rpms are pretty high (seemingly to high even for an out of adjustment carb or idle screw issue but I could be wrong) Unfortunately I still cant upload the video I think because Its from an iPhone in .mov format. Sorry I know its impossible to assist without more info I will keep trying.
post #6 of 36 Old 02-02-2017, 12:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 98
Thanks (Received): 155
Likes (Given): 308
Likes (Received): 618
Easy to tell if the Governor is Toast. Run the engine at 3/4 throttle, and see if the governor arm is applying pressure by manually pushing the arm away from the carb. No Pressure=Bad Governor. Otherwise, You should be able to get it working correctly by adjusting the governor and the Throttle Screw.
post #7 of 36 Old 02-02-2017, 01:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
Governor parts inside the engine rarely go. And governor's never go out of adjustment if they are set correctly from the start. And you always should buy an adjustable carburetor.

That said, governors are easy to adjust, loosening the nut, pulling it all the way over while holding the throttle on the carb to high speed. Check out YouTube.

After that I think you may have the carb linkage in the wrong hole on the carburetor, unless you have a bad carb which is rare.
post #8 of 36 Old 02-02-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the help , I will try the 3/4 throttle and see if the governor has resistance , hopefully it does ... I replaced a blown apart governor on another machine last year . Not the end of the world was just hoping it was the bad carb .....
post #9 of 36 Old 02-02-2017, 02:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 98
Thanks (Received): 155
Likes (Given): 308
Likes (Received): 618
I've Replaced Quite a few over the years, sometimes the plastic gear goes, or the weights break away. Let us know what you find.
post #10 of 36 Old 02-03-2017, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Finally figured out how to post a video......I was able to upload to youtube so hopefully it will clarify what I was trying to describe. It appears as though the linkages are correct and not bent but more eyes on it the better , Thanks again all!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page