To Chain or Not To Chain...that is the question? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 02-10-2017, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
To Chain or Not To Chain...that is the question?

Yesterdays snow in MA was heavy and wet and it got me to thinking- would this be any easier if I had chains on my tires? My 9hp Craftsman did a great job but I do get quite a bit of wheel spin. My '79 Ariens tires were like racing slicks. The Ariens was a curb find with a busted auger gear box, which I replaced (thanks Jayzauto1) and I was bummed I really couldn't put it through a good tryout with the wheels spinning so much.

I'm curious to see what everyone's opinions of tire chains are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-10-2017, 11:18 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
if i were you i would order a set of these and grab 2 tubes for them. you usually have to cut the old tires off the rim with a grinder because they are so still and they have a metal band running around the bead. with those tires you will never need chains. if you have a big wheel 4 lug model i have a used set that i will sell for 30 bucks off the rim for the pair
post #3 of 17 Old 02-10-2017, 11:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Received): 17
I've had a snow blower for decades and never had problems without chains - until yesterday. (My driveway is 140' and rises 10' in that distance. Thus, I have some slope but not huge.) In 24 hours, the temp. went from 60 to 27, so the asphalt driveway was still above freezing when the snow started. The melting snow refroze, creating a thin layer of ice my snow blower was unable to overcome without tremendous effort on my part.

Anyway, I ordered chains last night.

When answering Merdody1, I'd appreciate those with chains responding to let me know whether they stay on all the time or only put on as needed.
post #4 of 17 Old 02-10-2017, 12:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 571
I prefer chains.....
post #5 of 17 Old 02-10-2017, 01:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 12
Likes (Received): 21
I put chains on my Yardworks 30" when I first bought it 17 years ago, it has the big Snow Hog tires. Those chains have never been off since I got it. I would not want to be fighting a sliding slippery snowblower over snow covered ice, too much work and unsafe for your back and surrounding objects.
Cheers, Bob.

Bob
Nova Scotia
Yamaha YT624EJ 24" 6hp
Made in Canada Yardworks 30" 31BE6B3H515 10.5hp Tecumseh 358cc HMSK105 Eng,
Honda FG110 Tiller, HHT35SU Trimmer, HT3813 Tractor
Ariens LM21SW Mower, Troy-Bilt CSV70 Shredder/Vac.
post #6 of 17 Old 02-10-2017, 01:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 175
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
I have several snowblowers, all with deep lugged tires but one, Ariens ST522. The latter slips only at the pile the town leaves. Other than that, my other blowers don't slip but they all have weight, both frame, auger, cast iron gearbox, and engine weight 8 or 10hp. And I have flat driveways and sidewalks, no inclines. I have chains on one, John Deere 1032, a real beast with or without chains.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-10-2017, 02:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 269
Likes (Given): 371
Likes (Received): 912
Been blowing snow for years and have never needed chains. I have blown snow on flat, on slopes, EOD piles ... You name it. I'm sure there are always extinuating cicumstances but I never encountered any of them.
If you constantly experience wheel spin under various conditions you ar overrunning your machine's ability to clear the snow quickly enough. Think about this.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #8 of 17 Old 02-10-2017, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
If you constantly experience wheel spin under various conditions you ar overrunning your machine's ability to clear the snow quickly enough. Think about this.
I guess yesterday was not a typical snow day as we had an incredibly warm day and night before the snow started so by the time there was 10 inches of snow on the ground the bottom 2 inches were getting really hard packed and icy. But I do get your point as I tend to probably be in a gear or two higher than I should. I can't drive 55!

I do think I'm going to go with chains on the Craftsman and possibly replace the tires on the Ariens.

Craftsman 9hp/29" 536.887992
Ariens st824 924039 (curb find)
MTD 5hp/24" (curb find)
Toro 521 38052 (traded an exercise bike for it)
post #9 of 17 Old 02-10-2017, 03:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 571
I just went out to try an Ariens 10000 series that I had repowered with a clone and wanted to take it for a spin. Those small tires with no chains didn't want to push that girl forward. That explains why all the old Ariens I've picked up had chains! I just got back from blowing my girlfriends drive with the ST 824 that I just patched the block with JB weld and a new connecting rod. I wanted to see if the repair would hold under hard use....it did!...but this blower had no chains, but it had the nice sno hog kind of tire that Ariens used......no problems....but the same machine I use with the chains out performs it.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-10-2017, 03:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
Been blowing snow for years and have never needed chains. I have blown snow on flat, on slopes, EOD piles ... You name it. I'm sure there are always extinuating cicumstances but I never encountered any of them.
Think about this though, wheel spin without overrunning a machine, just trying to gain traction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page