Muscle Pain/Vibration From Single Stage Machines ? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 02-11-2017, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 50
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 77
Likes (Received): 108
Muscle Pain/Vibration From Single Stage Machines ?

I almost feel silly (or old) asking this question, but does anyone else experience muscle pain from using single stage (rubber paddle) machines? Is it just me?

I have both a Honda HSS520 single stage with rubber paddles as well as a new Honda 2 stage 2016 HSS724CT (tracked model). I haven't used the 724 much yet (twice actually) as our big snowfalls in Calgary have yet to arrive, although this past week we got 6 or 8 inches. I do 16 properties (mostly sidewalks but 3-4 double driveways) in a residential area as a volunteer. Most of the time the smaller 520 single stage is my go-to machine because it cleans so well down to the pavement and easily handles up to 6 or 8 inches.

What I have noticed in the past year (I am in my 50's now) is a lot of muscle pain in the arms, stomach and back areas 2-3 days after using this machine on 16 properties. I love this single stage machine but quite frankly it pulls me faster than I want to go unless the snow is 8+ inches. I would prefer to go slower--and while manipulating the machine is a breeze, it clearly exercises muscles in my stomach and back area I had forgotten about since I used to do arm curls in my 20's. I also notice that the vibration from the paddles does a number on my lower arms.

I notice I have no such issues when using my larger 2 stage Honda that is tracked and self-propelled. But of course I love the clean finish a single stage leaves.

Is this just me? Does anyone else notice muscle pain from these single stage machines? I'm thinking not many people use a single stage for 16 properties, so I deserve what I got.

Thoughts???

----------------
Peter
Honda HSS724ACTD, HS520 and HS720CC.

"Perfection is an insult to the Gods."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-11-2017, 03:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1637
Likes (Received): 572
i think it is the total amount of work you are doing, 16 is a lot of properties to blow snow from. I'm tired ans sore just chasing the single stage around the seven or eight properties that I normally do

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #3 of 21 Old 02-11-2017, 10:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 15
If it's tingling in the hands and arms that could be from vibration, but soreness is probably just having to push the single along at times. I always do stretching (in my early 60s) before I do any outside work like snow blowing. Helps a LOT.

1998 Toro 3000 GTS with Suzuki 47p 2 cycle
post #4 of 21 Old 02-11-2017, 10:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 17
I do a lot of biking where pain is a frequent concern. I'm not familiar with single stage vibration issues but can offer general advice I believe applies.

1. Look into gloves that provide vibration support.
2. Make certain your stay warm. Being out for extended periods (like 16 driveways) can tax your body and not staying warm can add to this.
3. Consider changing how you hold the snow blower and change hand arm positions frequently to avoid repetitive stress problems.
4. Be careful of what you eat and how long you wait before starting. You probably remember the old rules about eating and swimming, and snow is like water - or something like that.
5. Stay hydrated.
post #5 of 21 Old 02-11-2017, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
If it's tingling in the hands and arms that could be from vibration, but soreness is probably just having to push the single along at times. I always do stretching (in my early 60s) before I do any outside work like snow blowing. Helps a LOT.
Thanks. I always wondered if the anti-vibration gloves were a scam or not. Maybe I will try some though.

----------------
Peter

post #6 of 21 Old 02-11-2017, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
I don't remember having any problems with tingling or pain from using my single. Maybe using a chunk of that black pipe insulation and some tape on the handle would cut down the vibration. If it works maybe get someone to make a nice fabric or vinyl cover with a zipper or velcro for you. Similar to the stuff they use for padding automotive roll bars.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #7 of 21 Old 02-11-2017, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
Maybe using a chunk of that black pipe insulation and some tape on the handle would cut down the vibration. If it works maybe get someone to make a nice fabric or vinyl cover with a zipper or velcro for you. Similar to the stuff they use for padding automotive roll bars.
I think that's a good suggestion. I was considering something similar the more I thought about it. Thanks.

----------------
Peter

post #8 of 21 Old 02-11-2017, 04:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 31
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 67
Likes (Received): 15
Consider changing formats?

Considering the amount of properties you have to do. Perhaps try using the two stage a bit more often as a change up and if necessary you can do a quick pass on key or shady walks to get them down to the pavement. I wouldn't worry so much about cleaning the driveways to the pavement.
Be careful sounds like you may be putting an excess amount of pressure on your carpel tunnel nerves, believe me its no fun! The two stage (with less vibration.) does not put that kind of stress as much as the SS. with the crossbar.
Seems to me like you should consider letting the two stage do most of the heavy work since the single does not have its own drive?
Along with some of the other advise here hope things improve!!
PS the muscle pain can only increase with age!! lol
especially with the amount of units you do.
PSS how long does it take to do that much? That (Quantity of work) has to be contributing to this aching!

Ariens Deluxe28+ AX414cc
Ariens ST824
Ariens 1970
Toro 724
Honda HS521
Cub cadet SS
Snowbird
post #9 of 21 Old 02-11-2017, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biketrax View Post
PS the muscle pain can only increase with age!! lol
especially with the amount of units you do.
PSS how long does it take to do that much? That (Quantity of work) has to be contributing to this aching!
The getting old thing sucks. If I had known this was going to happen I would have bought the extended warranty on my body, especially the drive train.

It takes me about 45 - 50 mins to do all these properties. I know I am going too fast. But I still think I am 20.

Everyone here is right, and I know better. I am going to start using the two stage. After all I bought it to make life easier.

Thanks everyone.

----------------
Peter

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Tomatillo liked this post
post #10 of 21 Old 02-11-2017, 06:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1637
Likes (Received): 572
" Everyone here is right, and I know better. I am going to start using the two stage. After all I bought it to make life easier. "
that's the reason I got a two stage machine ( the 521's ), too make life easier! as for the single stage machines I like the 2450 with its hoop style handlebar better than the 3650 with the ergo style handlebar, there is more room to move my hands around on the hoop so I've been thinking about changing the handlebar on the 3650

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page