LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 02-11-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
How to clean right after use?

Been using my new Briggs 24"dual stage, and looks like another storm coming to NE tomorrow.

Right after I was finished, I brought into unheated garage, cleaned off snow.

Then after it was dry (or mostly) wiped down with a rag so there was no sitting water.

Then sprayed Liquid Wrench Heavy Duty Silicone Spray Lube (has SB pic on front) on all metal parts to help prevent rust and keep lubed.

Am I missing anything?

This is just the post storm routine - not end of season. That will be more involved.

Am I hitting all the right bases?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-11-2017, 04:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 3
someone mentioned in another thread about using a product called Fluid Film (from Lowes) as a coating and rust preventative...I'm going to look into this myself

Ariens 24 Platinum model 921050 with Poly Shoes

Sold my 17 yr old John Deere 828D for $300 in Jan 2017
post #3 of 15 Old 02-11-2017, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by outrag1 View Post
someone mentioned in another thread about using a product called Fluid Film (from Lowes) as a coating and rust preventative...I'm going to look into this myself
I grabbed a can of this, too. Just happened to use the other stuff first.
post #4 of 15 Old 02-11-2017, 04:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 2
I use a Propane Construction Heater, and a Propane Catalytic Heater to defrost the machine . Wiping and lubing is good, but the real issue is removing what you can't see, like ice build up in Transmission Drive, Auger Housing, Recoil Starter and so on.
Over the years, I've seen many Electric Starters aquire Bent Armatures when the Operator tries to start an iced up machine .
During severe cold, I use the heaters to pre - heat the machine so the lubricants flow freely.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-12-2017, 06:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 190
Garage
I usually just put the snowblower back in the garage and go inside. The snow melts eventually, since the garage maintains about a 40 F temperature.

I am wondering if spraying the machine with WD would attract added dust/dirt over time.

Regards, Ted
Current & Past Fleet:
2017 Husqvarna ST224 (SOLD)
2014 Troy-Bilt 2410 w/ Briggs & Stratton 305cc Engine
2003 Ariens ST824LE (SOLD)
1999 Toro PowerShift 824 w/ 318cc OHV Tecumseh Engine
1988 Toro 521 w/ 212cc Predator Engine
1985 Toro 3521 w/ 179cc Powermore Engine (SOLD)
post #6 of 15 Old 02-12-2017, 07:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 14
I still think the best thing you can do is brush off what you can and park the bucket on a rubber truck mat so when it does melt it's not sitting in the water. I use a cheap truck mat because there stiffer unlike the nicer weather tech ones that stay pliable. This channels the water away from the bucket and the stiffness of the mat won't allow the ridges to buckle under the weight.

1996 MTD 5/22
2016 Toro 721 QZR
post #7 of 15 Old 02-12-2017, 08:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 8
I use fluid film as a recommendation from my dealer. Wait until the whole unit is dry and then coat everything orange, and then any springs, the auger, axles...everything. Unfortunately it smells like crap but I'm told that the rust inhibitor capabilities are like no other.

As far as immediate cleaning and drying I don't do anything to my unit. It stays a little frosty until the garage warms up with ambient air. In the spring I'll give it a wash down.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fluid-Film-...icant/50335157

2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - FOR SALE
2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, 54" blade, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart
2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - sold
post #8 of 15 Old 02-12-2017, 09:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 19
I bought some fluid film and used it on my new machine,and it didn't stop the snow from sticking to the auger and inside the the chute,but I only used it once(because I dropped the can and broke the sprayer tip off) also I agree it does stink,not like wd-40,or any silicone spray.more like rotten grapes.or something like that.

2017 Ariens 24 deluxe 921045
2005 Ariens 8526 932105(sold)
Ariens ss522 (sold)
post #9 of 15 Old 02-12-2017, 10:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 132
Likes (Given): 200
Likes (Received): 283
I just found this discussion on what appears to be a home-brew with lanolin similar to Fluid Film.
Rust prevention with Lanolin
post #10 of 15 Old 02-12-2017, 11:58 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 19
I use an old car brush and clean the snow off most everything. I generally follow that with a light coating of Teflon spray on the augers, the impeller, inside and outside the bucket and anywhere else snow may accumulate on metal as it makes cleanup super quick next time, you can brush most of it away with your hand. Teflon will prevent water creep in tight spaces so ice cannot form if stored in a cold area or during use.

Fluid film is great stuff but I'd use it more so for long term storage or to lube moving parts as it's very thick rather than an every time after use spray or to reduce snow resistance. Teflon will create a anti-rust moisture barrier, it's been working great on my Yamaha so far this season. Silicon would also work if using it every where on the machine, otherwise I'd use a light rust inhibiting spray for specific targeted areas only. I may pick up a bottle of Dry Coat and try it out: Dry Coat | Rust Prevention | Armor VCI

YAMAHA YS624 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GregNL; 02-12-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page