LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 02-12-2017, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 2
Inconsistent cold starts

Finally got to use my new Ariens Deluxe 24 this year. Bought it new at the end of last season and New England is in for another 12+ inches of snow over the next 24 hours.

Been noticing inconsistent starting the last few outings. My technique for pull starting has been relatively the same. Temperature has been consistent around mid 20s. Been using Seafoam and Shell V-Plus high octane fuel. Stored in the same spot. All in all, things have been quite consistent. Starting the thing has not been:

Day 1: Took about 7 pulls from a cold start.
Day 2: Took 1 pull from a cold start.
Day 3: Took 4 pulls from a cold start.
Day 4: ???

Probably not a big deal, but I though these machines are known to start in 2 pulls. Have not even tried the electric start yet, but will eventually. Once it does fire up it seems to run pretty well. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 02-12-2017, 11:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 50
Most say seafoam is for keeping carb clean, stabil is for water and gas freshness. I use stabil marine myself. I have more issues with moisture then old gas clogging the carb. I shut off gas and run carb dry for sitting periods. Inconsistent starting sounds like water or clogged carb, but if it runs fine, might just be how it is.

-efisher-
post #3 of 32 Old 02-12-2017, 12:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 293
7 pulls is a lot, was this the first use of the season? Full choke, 3 primer pumps?

Have you been running the carb "dry" after each use? And maybe turning the gas back on without enough time for the fuel bowl to fill fully?

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 32 Old 02-12-2017, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.fisher26 View Post
Most say seafoam is for keeping carb clean, stabil is for water and gas freshness. I use stabil marine myself. I have more issues with moisture then old gas clogging the carb. I shut off gas and run carb dry for sitting periods. Inconsistent starting sounds like water or clogged carb, but if it runs fine, might just be how it is.

-efisher-
Quite possibly water. As a precaution, I use a Mr. Funnel when filling fuel, that is supposed to filter out basically anything (water included) but the fuel. Thanks for the reply.
post #5 of 32 Old 02-12-2017, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmerdp View Post
7 pulls is a lot, was this the first use of the season? Full choke, 3 primer pumps?

Have you been running the carb "dry" after each use? And maybe turning the gas back on without enough time for the fuel bowl to fill fully?
I thought 7 pulls was a lot as well, and no it wasn't the first start this season -- yes full choke and 3 primer pumps each time. I have not been running the carb dry. Is this recommended? I have been told this could freeze the fuel lines and the areas without fuel (carb).

It was started about a month ago from summer storage, and I do recall that took a few pulls as well. But that was due to everything being dry from storage and fuel getting back to the lines. I'm hoping that maybe over time as the machine breaks in it will settle in more consistently. I would love to pull this thing in two starts or less -- don't we all. I'm not getting any younger.
post #6 of 32 Old 02-12-2017, 01:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 215
I would call the dealer, and see if they would send someone out to check it out. It should not take more than 1-2 pulls. Or, maybe you have some bad gas, despite your additives. Or, maybe too much additives. Did you measure it accurately, and shake it up before adding ?

Or, maybe your choke is not working properly, or the primer hose has come disconnected. My 10 year old Ariens takes 2 pulls at most - usually one.
post #7 of 32 Old 02-12-2017, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIT333 View Post
I would call the dealer, and see if they would send someone out to check it out. It should not take more than 1-2 pulls. Or, maybe you have some bad gas, despite your additives. Or, maybe too much additives. Did you measure it accurately, and shake it up before adding ?

Or, maybe your choke is not working properly, or the primer hose has come disconnected. My 10 year old Ariens takes 2 pulls at most - usually one.
Good advice. I will call them tomorrow. Should still be under warranty.

Yes measured the additives based on manufacturers spec. Gas is no more than 4 days old. Didn't bother to shake up the Seafoam.
post #8 of 32 Old 02-12-2017, 02:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 3
Is it required to have it on "Full" choke when starting? I ask because my new Ariens 24 Platinum seems to start on 1 pull when I use mid choke...I don't think I've started it on full choke yet because after a few pulls I moved to less choke and it kicked right over. I took that as it's been in a warm basement and didn't need the full choke???

Ariens 24 Platinum model 921050 with Poly Shoes

Sold my 17 yr old John Deere 828D for $300 in Jan 2017
post #9 of 32 Old 02-12-2017, 04:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 82
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
My suggestions:

1. Stop with the seafoam. If you are going to use an additive, use STABIL-360 which will treat ethanol and also stabilize the fuel. Seafoam is.. for old things. Your machine does not need it and will not bennefit from it at this point. Add to that that Seafoam is not a true fuel stabilizer, although it is known to help. I like the stuff very much, but it won't be helpful on modern engines running it all the time.
2. Stop running premium octane gasoline. Your machine will purr very nicely with 87 octane. That top notch shell V-Power stuff is for advanced fuel injection systems on vehicles, not small engines, or even small engines with fuel injection.
3. Confirm this starting method-
A: Set choke to full
B: Set throttle to full
C: Prime 2-3 times
D: Pull Recoil rope handle
E: Should start right up- gradually reduce choke over the space of 5-10 seconds until fully off
F: Grin ear to ear and think you are the top dog and post on here how excited you are because your snowblower started with just one simple pull..

Run the machine a few times with just fresh fuel without any of the additives.

Last edited by GoBlowSnow; 02-12-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Blackstar liked this post
post #10 of 32 Old 02-12-2017, 04:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 82
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by outrag1 View Post
Is it required to have it on "Full" choke when starting? I ask because my new Ariens 24 Platinum seems to start on 1 pull when I use mid choke...I don't think I've started it on full choke yet because after a few pulls I moved to less choke and it kicked right over. I took that as it's been in a warm basement and didn't need the full choke???
Depends on the environment and outside temps. But regardless, you should see it sputter and fire up be it full or half.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page