LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 02-13-2017, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 18
Replace Shear Pins

I've had my new Ariens 24" Deluxe for about 5-6 winters now and in that time I have never had to replace a shear pin. My driveway is perfectly flat and newly paved, so I don't anticipate breaking one. However, do they have a life expectancy? Should I just replace them because they're a few years old?

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-13-2017, 04:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 9
No, but do have spares.
post #3 of 19 Old 02-14-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yeah, I have spares; that's not the issue.

I was just concerned because metal tends to rust and share pins certainly take enough abuse that over time I would think that they would weaken just from being in the harsh environment that they are in.
post #4 of 19 Old 02-14-2017, 11:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 19
It seems most are dipped in yellow zinc coating. I found the dealer(Yamaha) shear pins to be better coated with what I can tell as a grey zinc dip then painted black. In either case it never hurts to keep them sprayed with a rust penetrate or some sort of lube/grease, the same goes for augers on the shaft if possible.. I liberally greased mine during re-assembly though in your case and I frequently check to ensure everything is moving freely.

YAMAHA YS624 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-15-2017, 07:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 17
There is no life expectancy on shear bolts and having one that has weakened over time doesn't strike me as a concern. Having said that, replacing them at a cost of $10 seems fine if you prefer. To make them easier to take off going forward, it probably makes sense to add some anti-seize to the threads. (Of course you don't have that problem when they break.)
post #6 of 19 Old 02-15-2017, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 336
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 765
they probably dont really "weaken over time"..but even if they do, so what?
a slightly weaker than normal shear pin is fine, because they are designed to be "weak" in the first place!
sure, maybe in theory, it might break easier than a non-weakend shear pin, but thats not a bad thing..
seems a waste to replace one because it "might break"? they are *supposed* to break! its their only job.

my view: if its a real shear pin, and its not broken, its fine..no need to replace it.

scot

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Elt31987 liked this post
post #7 of 19 Old 02-15-2017, 08:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 175
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
If you have greased your shear pins, do it! Remove them, grease them, preferably with synthetic grease. Have you been using your grease gun and hitting the zero fittings?
post #8 of 19 Old 02-15-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648 View Post
If you have greased your shear pins, do it! Remove them, grease them, preferably with synthetic grease. Have you been using your grease gun and hitting the zero fittings?
Yes, I grease the zerks every spring as a part of my storage routine. However, I have never removed the shear pins.
post #9 of 19 Old 02-15-2017, 07:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 216
When you grease the zerks, it is a good policy to next remove the sheer pins. Then spin the augers and you can distribute the grease along the shaft and make sure that the auger is not rusting on to the shaft. It saves a headache down the road of the sheep pins not operating, and stripping the gear case gears instead.
post #10 of 19 Old 02-15-2017, 07:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 84
If syour greasing the Rakes, the grease should be coming out of both ends AND where the pins reside. That will grease the pins. Try turning them with a 1/2" wrench...... If they turn, they're free and greased. If grease isn't coming out of both ends of rakes, there is not enough grease or they're frozen to the shaft....and the pins will be useless. You can never have too much grease. It's cheaper than pins, rakes OR a gear box!!!

GLuck, Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page