Steep short driveway 25% grade, suggestions? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-26-2017, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Steep short driveway 25% grade, suggestions?

Shopping for my first snow blower for my first home. I was given a wedding gift that can only be used on a snowblower.

My driveway is very steep but its not terribly big. I got the level out and took some measurements. At the worst parts its about a 25% grade. On average its around a 20% grade.

The drive is S shaped about 50ft in length before it stops at the 2 car garage, with a 1 car width that continues along the side of the garage (mostly flat here). It is asphalt paved, but in disrepair. Very bumpy in some spots.

No plow will touch my driveway. It goes against physics. In one of the big snowstorms a few years back my neighbor with a small bobcat tried to give me a plow but couldn't get up the grade.

That leaves manual shoveling and snowblowing. As much as I enjoy the workout, there are times I'm not around leaving my wife to fend for herself. I'd like to have the snowblower option for those times and when I'm not feeling up for the workout.

I'm located in the south west nub of Connecticut, so we get some decent storms from time to time, but more often we get icy mix.

I have read that tracked snow blowers are the best for hills, but they are also expensive and I think would be overkill for my smallish drive.

Electric is an option since the drive is small, a 100ft cord would reach everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-26-2017, 01:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 7
Maybe a good single stage? Obviously, it would suck for going up the driveway, but you could blow while walking down the driveway and then pull it up behind you in the cleared area while just blowing on the downhill passes. Seems like that could be more workable than trying to maneuver a larger more clumsy unit. They're not that heavy and they're very easy to pull on the wheels like pulling a rolling suitcase behind you in an airport.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-26-2017, 02:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettck View Post
Maybe a good single stage?
Depending on how bad the asphalt is, a single stage might just compound the problem.

A friend of mine has a shorter but equally steep driveway and he uses a small plow attached to an 4WD ATV.
post #4 of 14 Old 02-26-2017, 03:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 17
I take it this is a follow-up to your earlier post.

I don't see any advantage to a single stage for your situation. Pulling a single stage snow blower up a steep driveway sounds unnecessarily difficult to me. You'd be far better served with a 24", 208cc 2-stage (self propelled) snow blower. These are considered entry level for the 2-stage category which should be fine for your purpose. There are several on the market and some are similar because they're made by the same company. You may still need chains at times for going uphill.

Last edited by Tony P.; 02-26-2017 at 04:05 PM.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-26-2017, 03:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 9
If it's as steep and icy as you say, nothing but a track will work. If you're concerned about size and weight, craftsman made [1990ish] a 4/20 that's very small and light. Not bad quality and can add electric start.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-26-2017, 03:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 180
Likes (Received): 41
Rough pavement can be a problem. Humps and hollows are not too bad, loose pieces are not good. Tracked blowers are costly but will work very well on your drive.Wheeled dual stage with chains will do it but are lighter in the front and tend to want to lift up in front on uphill cut. The harder the snow is the more they want to ride up on it. weighting the front will help some, But a tracked blower will work best.
I have one drive I do similar to yours. 35 degree slope, only it has 4 ft retaining walls each side. Even a small snow with wind will put 4 ft drifts most of the way across. Ive done it with both tracks and wheeled blowers. They dont even compare in this type situation. Tracked just eases under it and the top falls back over. back up a few times to get the first cut thru then make small cuts to finish. Tracks will do it at least twice as fast with a lot less effort.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-26-2017, 03:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
Tracks would be your only option IMO.
I'd look for a Honda HS624/724TAS, IMHO is your best choice.
If you are handy with repairs you can also look for less expensive tracked Honda HS50/55/70/80 or a tracked Yamaha YS624 or YS240(Ricky). All of those if in good condition will serve you well, but they lack of a hydrostatic transmission(except the Ricky) and some parts are NLA.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Prime liked this post
post #8 of 14 Old 02-26-2017, 04:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 293
Growing up, my father had a ariens 24" wheeled blower which i used for years on our crazy steep driveway. I found myself only blowing on the way down, until chains were added. I was then able to blow on the way up too but it was no picnic.

I bought my father a 28" mtd gold in 2008-9 to replace the old ariens. The heavy weight and directional snow tires were very effective and i was able to blow snow up and down surprisingly well. But still no picnic, and icy patches would send the machine swinging requiring a lot of effort to control.

Now i've brought my honda Track machine to my parents house a few times for big snow clean ups. Its clear, tracks are the right tool for the job. Its nice having a machine that will do all the work.

Buying new: Troybilt has an affordable track machine, and so is the ariens compact track.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Prime liked this post
post #9 of 14 Old 02-27-2017, 10:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 23
Wedding present that can only be used towards a snowblower? Sounds like a highly specialized card, possibly limited to a specific store? If this is the case then your options are only limited to the equipment that particular establishment carries. Without knowing which business your credit applies, it is difficult to provide useful feedback (as far as brands & models).

But based on your severe driveway grade, it would be foolish to buy anything but a track-based snowblower. Yes, these cost a bit more but they are worth it to those who need it. Buying the improper equipment for the purpose of saving money will just cost you more money in the long run. First you'll waste more money trying to adapt it before realizing you bought the improper unit. In the end, you'll wind up owning 2 snowblowers... the one you was within your budget and the one you needed. Getting the proper tool for the proper job is the only real way to save money.

2017 Husqvarna ST224P
2005 Ariens ST1332DLE (sold)
2002 Craftsman 9HP 28" 88xxx (gave away)
post #10 of 14 Old 02-27-2017, 10:22 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 216
I agree on the track model. I am just thinking - a 25% grade is huge. You must have strong calves. Plus, with a driveway like that, you would certainly want to get down to bare pavement so your cars don't slide, and a track machine will me very helpful. I suppose putting chains on a wheeled model with a 20 lb. weight kit added to the auger housing might also be a viable option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page