post #1 of 10 Old 02-28-2017, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Garage
Max rpm for auger???

Realistically, what kind of rpm's can a worm drive handle? I know most small engines will spin @ 3200-3500. Could a older, heavy duty auger tranny handle say, 1.5X?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-28-2017, 01:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 58
Well, single stage blowers spin their augers pretty fast. Are the gearboxes on those designed differently?
post #3 of 10 Old 02-28-2017, 01:31 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
The RPM of the crankshaft is reduced by the belt and size of the two pulleys. Most small engines run at 3600rpm and can't be adjusted to overcome impeller/auger speed significantly. You can take the sheave diameter and the auger pulley diameter, basic distance between the two centers and come up with an output speed for your worm set, typically they reduce at a 10:1 ratio from the impeller pulley to the augers themselves .
The speed of augers is not fast, the impeller is relatively fast when compared, but far less than engine. You can play around with numbers and sizes to see what you get.
Pulley Calculator. RPM, Belt Length, Speed, Animated Diagrams

I think most gear sets can take the slight increase we can obtain by modifying the sheave size (easiest is the crank sheave). Impeller speed increase will translate into better throwing distance, but you need some level of torque to complete/support the process. Ariens does this on their SHO versions. The engine is no more powerful than if on a non SHO machine. They change the impeller speed with sheave sizes. I don't know the cutoff that overpowers or overspeeds the auger gear set intake. Most impellers run around 1100rpm , and bumping them to 1400rpm shows significant improvement of throwing distance. I don't think any gear set is going to see excessive stress going from 110rpm to 140rpm.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #4 of 10 Old 02-28-2017, 01:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 101
Likes (Given): 101
Likes (Received): 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyl View Post
Well, single stage blowers spin their augers pretty fast. Are the gearboxes on those designed differently?
Single stage don't have gearboxes, the auger paddles are also the impeller and are usually belt driven, in a 2 stage the gearbox works like a differential on a car, Spinning shaft goes to gearbox and turns the auger shaft that's at a 90 deg. As for how much speed and abuse it could take. I have no idea lol

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-28-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtclays View Post
The RPM of the crankshaft is reduced by the belt and size of the two pulleys. Most small engines run at 3600rpm and can't be adjusted to overcome impeller/auger speed significantly. You can take the sheave diameter and the auger pulley diameter, basic distance between the two centers and come up with an output speed for your worm set, typically they reduce at a 10:1 ratio from the impeller pulley to the augers themselves .
The speed of augers is not fast, the impeller is relatively fast when compared, but far less than engine. You can play around with numbers and sizes to see what you get.
Pulley Calculator. RPM, Belt Length, Speed, Animated Diagrams

I think most gear sets can take the slight increase we can obtain by modifying the sheave size (easiest is the crank sheave). Impeller speed increase will translate into better throwing distance, but you need some level of torque to complete/support the process. Ariens does this on their SHO versions. The engine is no more powerful than if on a non SHO machine. They change the impeller speed with sheave sizes. I don't know the cutoff that overpowers or overspeeds the auger gear set intake. Most impellers run around 1100rpm , and bumping them to 1400rpm shows significant improvement of throwing distance. I don't think any gear set is going to see excessive stress going from 110rpm to 140rpm.
I knew I joined this site for a reason. Thanks.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-28-2017, 04:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyl View Post
There's no "gearbox". Just a belt and some pulleys.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-28-2017, 04:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
Single stage don't have gearboxes, the auger paddles are also the impeller and are usually belt driven
There's no impeller in a single stage. Auger only. The impeller is what makes a two stage machine two stage.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-28-2017, 05:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 101
Likes (Given): 101
Likes (Received): 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettck View Post
There's no impeller in a single stage. Auger only. The impeller is what makes a two stage machine two stage.
LOL yes I know, was just trying to break it down for someone who doesn't know, that's why I said "IS ALSO" implying there is just one item throwing the snow.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-28-2017, 06:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 149
When I did the math for the Gilson impellers they rotated at about 1000 RPM with the engine at 36000 RPM depending on the model. The worm drives are 21 tooth, double helix for a 10.5:1 ratio and yield an auger speed around 95 RPM.

Can they go faster? I think it certainly depends on the worm drive in question. An oil bath case running the worm in tapered needle bearings probably has a lot of headroom. A grease packed case relying on Oilite all around, not so much.

The raw speed, heat and wear are one thing. A bigger concern is probably the higher force/shock loads it will be exposed to when you spin it up. The lesser cases have a hard time staying together as it is.

Pete
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat, Grunt liked this post
post #10 of 10 Old 02-28-2017, 06:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettck View Post
Some will call it a rotor for the sake of differentiating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page