post #1 of 19 Old 03-11-2017, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 26
Likes (Received): 51
Garage
To Throttle or Not to Throttle

At work, I use a Husqvarna 12527HV with an LCT 291cc Snow King engine. When it hasn't been run in a while, I have to use the electric start otherwise I would collapse from pulling and pulling and pulling......

I also have to say, while the starter is cranking the engine over, there is a lot of clanking and noise coming from the engine. Once it starts, it's fine.

Due to the fact that it is a hard starter when cold, I can't say that I had a good first impression with the LCT engine. There is NO throttle - just wide open all of the time. Sometimes I do wish that I could throttle it back when I have to step away but don't want to shut it down.

With two seasons under my belt now, this machine has grown on me, and I actually like using it. Once the engine warms up, it's a great runner with power to spare.

In a previous thread about possibly re-powering with an LCT 414cc engine - a suggestion to get a throttle kit was mentioned.

I have also ordered one of the LCT 414cc engines to have on hand because of such a reasonable price.
LCT Snow King Series 414CC PW2HK191250781DE 12.5 HP Winter Engine

But they don't come with a throttle kit. I was wondering what a throttle kit was until I looked at the Ariens AX engine. "Ah, so that's the throttle control!"

I am not interested in updating my boss' Husqvarna but when I re-power something with this new LCT 414, the question is: To add a throttle or not?

Does it really matter? Is it worth it? Does the engine suffer without it? etc.....

Bolens 824 (re-powered with Briggs and Stratton 14.5GT snow engine)
Simplicity 860 (1691900-17825) - (Backup machine)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-11-2017, 01:33 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 17
I cant believe Tecumseh gave this new company permission to use the Snow king sticker on those engine's. It does such a dis-service to real Tecumseh engines and will give real Tecumseh's a bad name for the many uneducated consumers that don't know the difference. Real Tecumseh engines are so much better than these jokers. My engines all have throttles, who wants to hear that thing running full blast when you walk away from it to clear off the car or when someone comes over to talk to you, you have to shut the engine down, rather than just lower the throttle to talk and than have to re-start the engine, ridiculous. Those engines are hard to start? Well that's no good, commercial snow removal doesn't give you access to a cord, so I guess, pulling and pulling until your arms falls off is the only option? I have Tecumseh winter engines from the 60's that start on one pull and they don't even have primers. LCT, what a joke....
post #3 of 19 Old 03-11-2017, 06:55 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 68
Absent the obvious merits of a throttle the lack of one is purely economic at the engines price point it being bare bones.
post #4 of 19 Old 03-11-2017, 07:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Agreed that a throttle is nice to have. As to whether you should buy the kit for your engine, that's a question of how much the kit costs, what it's worth to you, etc.

For most usage patterns, I would imagine the lack of a throttle is not that big a deal. I try to start mine at half-throttle now, so the RPM stays more moderate when the engine is cold. I raise it as I'm turning off the choke, after the oil has at least been splashing around, etc. Maybe it's slightly easier on the engine, though I doubt it makes any sort of meaningful difference.

Yes, I'll throttle down when I stop to move something out of the way, or otherwise won't be clearing for a bit. And I like that ability. But if it's easy to restart at that point, you could simply shut it off, and give it a tug to restart it. Or if that's going to be a pain, just let it run, it's not the end of the world.

DriverRider, I know what you mean that it points to reducing costs on the engine. But at the same time, a lot of mowers no longer have throttles. And a lot of single-stage blowers don't have throttles either, including even a lot of the Hondas, I believe. So it doesn't necessarily mean the engine is junk or anything.

Cost is almost certainly a factor, yes. But I'd imagine that some of it (even if it's just the marketing explanation) is also trying to simplify things for users who don't know, or care, about such things. It's one less lever they need to worry about setting correctly. And you won't annoy them because the engine eventually stalls when running at an idle that's too low.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes paulm12 liked this post
post #5 of 19 Old 03-11-2017, 09:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 175
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
I agree with Fearless Front, who wants to hear an engine running full blast. You will probably not be able to adapt a throttle.

I also agree with DriverRider it's stupid economics.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #6 of 19 Old 03-11-2017, 10:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 23
advertising???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sblg43 View Post
At work, I use a Husqvarna 12527HV with an LCT 291cc Snow King engine. When it hasn't been run in a while, I have to use the electric start otherwise I would collapse from pulling and pulling and pulling......

I also have to say, while the starter is cranking the engine over, there is a lot of clanking and noise coming from the engine. Once it starts, it's fine.

Due to the fact that it is a hard starter when cold, I can't say that I had a good first impression with the LCT engine. There is NO throttle - just wide open all of the time. Sometimes I do wish that I could throttle it back when I have to step away but don't want to shut it down.

With two seasons under my belt now, this machine has grown on me, and I actually like using it. Once the engine warms up, it's a great runner with power to spare.

In a previous thread about possibly re-powering with an LCT 414cc engine - a suggestion to get a throttle kit was mentioned.

I have also ordered one of the LCT 414cc engines to have on hand because of such a reasonable price.
LCT Snow King Series 414CC PW2HK191250781DE 12.5 HP Winter Engine

But they don't come with a throttle kit. I was wondering what a throttle kit was until I looked at the Ariens AX engine. "Ah, so that's the throttle control!"

I am not interested in updating my boss' Husqvarna but when I re-power something with this new LCT 414, the question is: To add a throttle or not?

Does it really matter? Is it worth it? Does the engine suffer without it? etc.....
advertising??? I don't know, but if you put that engine in your shopping cart on the website you linked to this is what you get.

Order Totals
Item Cost Subtotal $ 339.90
UPS Ground Residential Shipping: $ 150.48

Grand Total: $ 490.38

What happened to the $169.95 price???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Toro CCR1000
2007 Cub Cadet 524SWE
post #7 of 19 Old 03-11-2017, 10:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 175
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 524SWE View Post
advertising??? I don't know, but if you put that engine in your shopping cart on the website you linked to this is what you get.

Order Totals
Item Cost Subtotal $ 339.90
UPS Ground Residential Shipping: $ 150.48

Grand Total: $ 490.38

What happened to the $169.95 price???
You had quantity 2, cut the prices in half including shipping, shipping would be $75.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #8 of 19 Old 03-11-2017, 11:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 132
Likes (Given): 200
Likes (Received): 283
the links above include a session ID (on accident I'm sure) and I've asked the mods to replace it with a generic one like
https://www.smallenginesuppliers.com...gines1817.html
Edit:
For what it's worth you can get a shipping quote by putting in just your zip code in the check-out.. For me in Utah it was $66 for the 90 lb 414CC.

Last edited by dbert; 03-11-2017 at 11:42 AM.
post #9 of 19 Old 03-11-2017, 06:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
For LCT engines, if you want a throttle which costs approx. $80.00 for the kit just call LCT and ask for Gary to have the part numbers I believe at Jacks small engines.....

For the person having the LCT 291cc, do you prime it at least 3 to 4 times before you crank?
And forget about the naysayers on these engine as they have a very good reputation which Ariens chose to put on their snowblowers line up.

Good Luck gents,

Norm

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #10 of 19 Old 03-11-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 26
Likes (Received): 51
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normex View Post
For the person having the LCT 291cc, do you prime it at least 3 to 4 times before you crank?
Norm
Today, before I left work, I went to the Husqvarna/LCT in question and primed it 3 times before pulling the cord - nothing. I primed two more times - nothing. I primed 3 more times and it started. So a total of 8 primes.

As far as the LCT reputation, I still think they are good engines and won't hesitate to recommend them. As I mentioned above, after two snow seasons, I do enjoy using the machine.

Bolens 824 (re-powered with Briggs and Stratton 14.5GT snow engine)
Simplicity 860 (1691900-17825) - (Backup machine)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page