LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-17-2017, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Good ole red

The predicted snowfall was 8 - 15 inches - "snowmegeddon". The night before I dutifully pulled out my trusty twenty year old Toro 'Red' to the front of the garage. I set up the extension cord, turned the gas line to the on position, checked the gas level and set it to full choke and turned Red over. A couple of tries and she kicked to life. I ran her 5 minutes and I figured all set. - the trick I learned was gas stabilizer and turning the gas line to the off position while Red was still running. Then when the machine stalled there would be no gas in the carburetor to gum up. I even pulled all the shovels out. Red and I have been through 2 houses and lots of storms together. The wife and I bought her at the Toro dealer for over $1,000 right after we bought our first house.

Bam 15 inches became 4 or 5 inches of the heaviest snow known to man. I went out at 1pm, opened the garage door, fired her up and went 2 feet when I realized the auger was barely spinning! Another foot and it was totally clogged with slush. I pulled red back into the garage and checked her belts: good- the suspected culprit is the auger transmission. That auger wasn't spinning fast at all before we hit the white stuff - Yikes my poor red.

Over the next few hours this 62 year old man was then reminded
1. I have a long driveway
2. Slushy snow is very heavy
3. I have a good wife 60 who helped me with my son clear the driveway for the next hour and a half.
4. It is not uncommon to have pain in your arms after shoveling heavy snow.
5. People with a metal knee fear falling on the ice and snow.

Call me crazy but I am hesitant to abandon trusty old Red. I'm not sure we will be in this house too much longer. I plan on retiring in July and look forward to some Florida sun. A suitable replacement with lights and heated grips (snowblower bling) would be about $1,200 but it just won't be good old Red. I think ill investigate if they can repair my old gal and what it will cost....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-17-2017, 11:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinPenn View Post
The predicted snowfall was 8 - 15 inches - "snowmegeddon". The night before I dutifully pulled out my trusty twenty year old Toro 'Red' to the front of the garage. I set up the extension cord, turned the gas line to the on position, checked the gas level and set it to full choke and turned Red over. A couple of tries and she kicked to life. I ran her 5 minutes and I figured all set. - the trick I learned was gas stabilizer and turning the gas line to the off position while Red was still running. Then when the machine stalled there would be no gas in the carburetor to gum up. I even pulled all the shovels out. Red and I have been through 2 houses and lots of storms together. The wife and I bought her at the Toro dealer for over $1,000 right after we bought our first house.

Bam 15 inches became 4 or 5 inches of the heaviest snow known to man. I went out at 1pm, opened the garage door, fired her up and went 2 feet when I realized the auger was barely spinning! Another foot and it was totally clogged with slush. I pulled red back into the garage and checked her belts: good- the suspected culprit is the auger transmission. That auger wasn't spinning fast at all before we hit the white stuff - Yikes my poor red.

Over the next few hours this 62 year old man was then reminded
1. I have a long driveway
2. Slushy snow is very heavy
3. I have a good wife 60 who helped me with my son clear the driveway for the next hour and a half.
4. It is not uncommon to have pain in your arms after shoveling heavy snow.
5. People with a metal knee fear falling on the ice and snow.

Call me crazy but I am hesitant to abandon trusty old Red. I'm not sure we will be in this house too much longer. I plan on retiring in July and look forward to some Florida sun. A suitable replacement with lights and heated grips (snowblower bling) would be about $1,200 but it just won't be good old Red. I think ill investigate if they can repair my old gal and what it will cost....
Yeah sure, you Betcha, no problem that can be repaired anytime piece of pie. anyhoo ALOHA from the Paradise City.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 4 Old 03-17-2017, 12:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 571
Fix old Red.....then get a friend for her to hang with in the garage. Snowblowers never break when they have a friend...and if they do the friend can do the heavy work.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-17-2017, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 336
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 765
Yeah, I got a second "backup" snowblower a few years ago..and haven't needed it yet!

Ray,
welcome to the forum!
sorry to hear about Red's problems..hopefully its something minor like a belt..
when you have a chance to get out and take a look, give us an update!
im sure the team here and help you get Red back in service..

Scot

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Freezn thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page