Looking for help picking a 24" snowblower - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 03-17-2017, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Looking for help picking a 24" snowblower

I'm looking for a 24" snowblower and was wondering if someone can help me pick the best one for me. I live in Philadelphia and will be using it for my house. My driveway is 12' wide by 45' long if that helps make a decision. I don't want to spend more than $800 and I have been doing a little research on then. I was looking into the 24" Sno Tek made by ariens for $650 and read a lot of good reviews. I also read good stuff on the craftsman 88173 and the husqvarna ST224.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-17-2017, 09:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
I can only speak to my new purchase this season -https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-1696619-Dual-Stage-Electric/dp/B00VCM00UU/ref=s9_simh_gw_g86_i1_r?_encoding=UTF8&fpl=fresh&p f_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=PB31M9RGMNAJ 3PB84E4E&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1cded295-23b4-40b1-8da6-7c1c9eb81d33&pf_rd_i=desktop&th=1

Got for $750 from local dealer. Amazon reviews are very good. My experience has been excellent. Starts on first pull, lots of power, and very, very quiet, and nice controls.

Hopefully helps with your research.
post #3 of 23 Old 03-17-2017, 09:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 17
Garage
First of all, how much snow does your area get on a average? Is the snow usually heavy and wet or light and fluffy? With the size of your driveway you might be able to get by with a single stage.
post #4 of 23 Old 03-17-2017, 09:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 147
Likes (Received): 300
My brother picked up a ST224 when lowes had it on clearance for $699 and he absolutely loves it, good quality and worked very well on the EOD on the one storm he got to use it on, I like Ariens but there priced a little higher so my vote is for the Huskavana, that craftsman number doesn't pull any search results so can not comment

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #5 of 23 Old 03-17-2017, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash4o View Post
I can only speak to my new purchase this season -https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-1696619-Dual-Stage-Electric/dp/B00VCM00UU/ref=s9_simh_gw_g86_i1_r?_encoding=UTF8&fpl=fresh&p f_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=PB31M9RGMNAJ 3PB84E4E&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1cded295-23b4-40b1-8da6-7c1c9eb81d33&pf_rd_i=desktop&th=1

Got for $750 from local dealer. Amazon reviews are very good. My experience has been excellent. Starts on first pull, lots of power, and very, very quiet, and nice controls.

Hopefully helps with your research.
Ok I will look into that blower. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Q View Post
First of all, how much snow does your area get on a average? Is the snow usually heavy and wet or light and fluffy? With the size of your driveway you might be able to get by with a single stage.
Usually around 6" fluffy and sometimes wet but we also get hit with big blizzard here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
My brother picked up a ST224 when lowes had it on clearance for $699 and he absolutely loves it, good quality and worked very well on the EOD on the one storm he got to use it on, I like Ariens but there priced a little higher so my vote is for the Huskavana, that craftsman number doesn't pull any search results so can not comment
Ok that's good to know. thanks!
post #6 of 23 Old 03-18-2017, 08:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
Check out the toro snow masters. There are a few members here that own them and love them. Check them out on youtube, lots of real people with great reviews. With your size drive way it would be perfect.

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
post #7 of 23 Old 03-18-2017, 09:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 308
A snowmaster would be sufficient for your location and size driveway.

If 2 stage is in your future, I suggest a
Toro powermax 724
Ariens compact 24.
Both are at your budget.

But for a few hundred more you can have yourself a Ariens deluxe 24 which i think is a better value.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 23 Old 03-18-2017, 09:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 97
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 463
Garage
There's a lot of things to look at when buying a new blower.

The new engines have steel tanks with no shut off valves, the exit is inaccessible to drain so all end of season draining or carb repairs you must drain through the fuel bowl. The engines are more difficult to get to to repair.

I don't like some of the cables and how they connect, wind around, and the path they follow.

There was a post recently that someone was having problems getting parts for their Chinese engine.

I live across the river from you and for most storms a 5hp machine is fine, even for 24" snows, but they fail after the plows come by and pack the snow, now you are left shoveling. A 5hp also fails or does not do well on really wet snows clogging the chute constantly. This recent snow I started using my 5hp snowblower and it was slow going with clogging besides not throwing it far enough across the drive. I have 2 5hp, 2 8hp, and 2 10hp, all ready to go, plus a 12hp. I put the 5hp away, skipped over the 8hp, and pulled out the 10hp and absolutely no problem. The chute started to clog a number of times as I did mine and 5 neighbors, nothing was coming out, then boom, it blew, and because it was so wet, I could hear and feel the pounding in the chute, in as the wet snow went through the metal chute, it was a loud steady bang, bang, bang as the snow went through in these large packed cylinder pieces, they looked like packing charges for a cannon. All the neighbors that were using a 5hp were looking at me moving along at a good clip, or being frustrated clearing the chute. One gave up and called me to do their driveway and sidewalk. When looking at horsepower, think of this.

A 10hp is a overkill for you but a 8hp would not be, in either 24" or 26".

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale

Last edited by JLawrence08648; 03-18-2017 at 09:40 AM.
post #9 of 23 Old 03-18-2017, 10:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 178
Thanks (Received): 344
Likes (Given): 482
Likes (Received): 851
I've seen good feedback on the Toro Snowmasters so far, though they are new, and reliability is unproven. They sound more capable than a typical single stage, but quicker and easier to handle than a 2 stage.

For any machine, it's always nice to have a little extra power, vs not enough. But the need for that depends on budget, type of snowfall, driveway size, and how much time/patience you have

A 5hp machine will still clear most storms, but you may have to slow down a bunch (narrower cuts, slower ground speed). An 8hp/10hp will have an easier time, and can go quicker.

I have yet to regret having too much power available
post #10 of 23 Old 03-18-2017, 12:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648 View Post
There's a lot of things to look at when buying a new blower.

The new engines have steel tanks with no shut off valves, the exit is inaccessible to drain so all end of season draining or carb repairs you must drain through the fuel bowl. The engines are more difficult to get to to repair.

I don't like some of the cables and how they connect, wind around, and the path they follow.

There was a post recently that someone was having problems getting parts for their Chinese engine.

I live across the river from you and for most storms a 5hp machine is fine, even for 24" snows, but they fail after the plows come by and pack the snow, now you are left shoveling. A 5hp also fails or does not do well on really wet snows clogging the chute constantly. This recent snow I started using my 5hp snowblower and it was slow going with clogging besides not throwing it far enough across the drive. I have 2 5hp, 2 8hp, and 2 10hp, all ready to go, plus a 12hp. I put the 5hp away, skipped over the 8hp, and pulled out the 10hp and absolutely no problem. The chute started to clog a number of times as I did mine and 5 neighbors, nothing was coming out, then boom, it blew, and because it was so wet, I could hear and feel the pounding in the chute, in as the wet snow went through the metal chute, it was a loud steady bang, bang, bang as the snow went through in these large packed cylinder pieces, they looked like packing charges for a cannon. All the neighbors that were using a 5hp were looking at me moving along at a good clip, or being frustrated clearing the chute. One gave up and called me to do their driveway and sidewalk. When looking at horsepower, think of this.

A 10hp is a overkill for you but a 8hp would not be, in either 24" or 26".
My new Briggs engine does indeed have fuel shut off valve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page