post #1 of 9 Old 04-07-2017, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 37
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 228
Likes (Received): 26
Honda HSS928ATCD

Hi Guyshttps://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/images/icons/icon5.gif
Can you tell me if the clogging issue on the 2016 Honda HSS928 ATCD were fixed on the 2017 ,or are they still the same.From reviews I've seen online their is a problem with the chute clogging up with wet snow ,which were never encountered on the HSSTCD.Apparently Honda change the chute on 2016 models compared to that of the 928TCD which didn't have any issues with clogging in wet snow.
I was in the process of purchasing the ATCD thing it was the same machine other than the turning access feature. https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...cons/icon5.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-07-2017, 08:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1142
Can't really say much on that 1. anyhoo ALOHA from the Paradise City.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks FullThrottle thanked for this post
post #3 of 9 Old 04-07-2017, 09:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 23
Thanks (Received): 281
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by missileman View Post
Hi Guyshttps://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/images/icons/icon5.gif
Can you tell me if the clogging issue on the 2016 Honda HSS928 ATCD were fixed on the 2017 ,or are they still the same.From reviews I've seen online their is a problem with the chute clogging up with wet snow ,which were never encountered on the HSSTCD.Apparently Honda change the chute on 2016 models compared to that of the 928TCD which didn't have any issues with clogging in wet snow.
I was in the process of purchasing the ATCD thing it was the same machine other than the turning access feature. https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...cons/icon5.gif
First, Honda snow blowers don't have 'model years' like cars and trucks. Instead, Honda uses a version code called a K-number to designated differences / running changes to a model. The very first version of any model is called K0, and then it bumps to K1, K2, K3. The K-number may not change for years, or might change twice in one year, for many different reasons.

The new HSS models were launched as K0 versions, and are going to remain as K0 for right now. There are no plans (as of April 7, 2017) to make any changes that would bump the version up to K1. Honda's QIC Engineers are aware of customer complains with clogging, but there is not enough data to support any design changes at this time. If and when the QIC team determines there is a statistically significant problem and/or the machine is not operating as designed, a countermeasure will be developed and implemented.

Note: The models the OP reference are Canada-market versions of the HSS machines. While they are nearly identical to the USA versions, they are not exact matches feature by feature. What is important to know the the QIC groups at both American Honda and Honda Canada work very closely on post-sale quality issues; the teams meet each week and review all data, reports, trends, and collaborate on continuous improvements.

- - -
[email protected]
Social Media Consigliere (retired)
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

Last edited by [email protected]; 04-07-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks FullThrottle, RedOctobyr thanked for this post
Likes Grunt, help, YSHSfan liked this post
post #4 of 9 Old 04-07-2017, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hi Robert
When you say the Canadian version is different than the American,does this mean one of them doesn't have the clogging issue.If so which one does,I saw online where an owner cut a piece from the chute to make it more streamline for the flow of snow.Apparently he had no issue with dry snow,mostly the wet and he also mentioned it didn't throw the snow has far as the HSS928 TCD.He indicated maybe it could be because of the new independent track "Access Feature" that might be loading the Engine down,are you aware of this.
Thanks for the reply

Last edited by FullThrottle; 04-07-2017 at 10:10 AM.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-07-2017, 11:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 293
Any machine with this collar at the base of the chute is the current HSS. As far as I know US and Canadian models are nearly identical. I don't get the bogging complaint. Match speed to the snow conditions... Also, New engines require running time to break in and make their maximum torque. And My HSS throws just as far or maybe further then my neighbors HS.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

post #6 of 9 Old 04-08-2017, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the feedback,you say you don't have any issue with the clogging,is that in a dry type of snow,because folks is saying it is mostly wet snow,it clogs up due to the the collar you mention and it bogs down under load,so you haven't experienced this issue.
You mention all HSS have the same type of collar,I have questioned people online in the reviews about the HSS928TCD had no issues throwing the snow or bogging down.So if the design is the same on both machines,why is people saying the 2016 models are clogging up under wet snow conditions.?
Note: Is the one in the photo your are using or just a demonstration to show the collar.The reason I ask is because it is a wheel type,not the Track and was curious if maybe the Track auto turn feature caused a bogging condition when turning etc.

Last edited by FullThrottle; 04-08-2017 at 10:47 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-08-2017, 05:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I live in New Jersey, rarely do I get dry snow. Occasionally it's icy, which is just as heavy but less wet. I have had a clog two years ago the first time I used it. Looking back it was probably more my fault then the machines. I have this season made alterations to the factory chute collar. So I'm not the best example moving forward. I posted that pic only as an example of the chute.

I own an HSS928 track model. It does not have an "auto turn" feature which is a differential system. These machine have what's better described as trigger steering. Similar to other brands, except it's designed directly into the hydrostatic transmission. It's fantastic with the machine running, it will turn on a dime, with the engine off, it moves with minimal effort. It simply does not get any better the having a hydrostatic transmission.

As for the bogging while turning, it simply doesn't exist. If I were you I'd disregard the reviewers on retail websites. They seem to mostly be too inexperienced to provide a well rounded opinion. There are many, far more reliable accounts on this forum

People have complained that the 928 is underpowered. I was apprehensive at first, but the machine really came into its own after the motor broke in fully at about 10 hours. It's not underpowered, definitely not a hot rod, but not underpowered. It's a hydro trans, you dial in exactly the right amount of speed. If the engine is bogging down to much, then use less speed. Simple.

post #8 of 9 Old 04-08-2017, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you very much,I must agree with you a lot of the online reviews can be left to be desired,Like one gentleman said in one of the replies about bogging down,he said he hasn't seen any machine that doesn't bog down if you are forcing it into to much snow and he is correct.I owned a MTD it worked fine if you cut half the snow instead of trying to move the full load especially when it was wet.It died on me recently after 32 years,with no shame.However this is why I am doing research on the mentioned Blower to determine the right one and it looks like a lot of expertise and information in this Forum.Once again I like to thank you for your input.
Note:You said that you made altercations to the chute,did you cute the collar out or did something else.
Cheers.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-08-2017, 06:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Heres my thread with a few modification I made.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...fications.html

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...w-footage.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page