post #1 of 7 Old 04-30-2017, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 14
Garage
Time To Put Her Away

Looks like it`s time to store my SB for the Summer. But before I do that I thought I would do a couple upgrades and maintenance. You see, I love to tinker! I enjoy taking things apart to see how they work then putting them back together. So with the help of YouTube, Ebay, and the camera in my phone I have done a few things. First, the basic stuff, like change the oil and clean and lube the springs and shafts, chute, bolts, augers and anything else that`s metal to metal. Next I replaced my friction disc. This was a bit of a challenge because my SB uses a rubber friction disc with the rubber bonded to the wheel. Located one on Ebay and had it within 3 days. Installed it. Then I decided to take apart the split axle to see if it needed some attention. Everything looked great for being close to 20 years old so I cleaned the axles, gears and chains and greased them all and put them back together. Thank you YouTube. Next up, the carburetor. So I removed it and dismantled it. Again, thank you YouTube. Replaced the needle, gasket, o rings, emulsion tube. Cleaned the main jet and other small passages with carb cleaner. Put that back together. Started her up and boy, she idled and ran just like she was new. Finally I decided to install a impeller kit for next year. So I went to Tractor Supply and bought some baler belt, SS bolts and nuts and some galvanized flat stock. Did all 4 blades on the 16" impeller. Started her up and ran her for about 10 minutes to wear in the rubber. Now I fogged the motor, emptied the carb bowl, stablized the fuel, gave her a coat of wax and polished her up. Covered and ready to go next winter. I`ll add some photos, hopefully in the right order.

[/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat, Grunt liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-01-2017, 07:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 215
Wow - looks like those pictures were taken 20 years ago. That machine is clean enough to eat off of. Any photos of the outside ?

Did you spray a cleaner inside the transmission area ? If so, what did you use ?
post #3 of 7 Old 05-01-2017, 08:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Received): 13
Great job. Super clean! You really know how to take care of equipment. It should last another twenty years.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-01-2017, 12:18 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 17
Your machine has a 16" impeller. WoW that bad boy must eat snow like crazy and toss it far what kind of machine do you have, that has a 16" impeller? From the color's I'm guessing a Yardman by MTD with a 13hp SnowKing. That is when MTD still made some excellent machine's. I know that's as large as they go and were made by a few manufacturer's. MTD used a 16" impeller on the last of the Snowbird's. Can we get a few photo's of the outside? My Snapper 8246 has a 12" wide impeller with 15" tall augers which is an inch larger than my 11" impellers on my Ariens 10000 series and you can clearly see the difference just by looking at my two machine's. The larger impeller makes a huge difference, even though it's only an inch difference. I can only imagine how a machine with a 16" impeller performs. The belly of your beast must be huge. Changing the friction disk on my Snapper is a cake walk. Very simple yet effective set up in the gearbox. The friction disk is connected to and powered by a chaincase. But trying to change the friction disk on an Ariens 10000 series, forget it, it's a nightmare, you have to literally disassemble, half the gear box just to access it. The friction disk on my 24" Ariens is due for a change, I'm starting to loose power of first. I wish someone would make a video or posted a service manual on how to change the friction disks on those machine's. They did not make it easy. But I wouldn't trade my 2002 Snapper for anything in the world, especially not for anything they build now.

Last edited by FearlessFront; 05-01-2017 at 12:24 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-01-2017, 02:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1142
Does that have trigger steering on it?????????????

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 7 Old 05-01-2017, 05:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 654
Thanks (Received): 163
Likes (Given): 1020
Likes (Received): 1062
Garage
your SB is a her?

mine is a guy all the way. a tough guy. a no nonsense guy. a knock-a-round gangster guy.

my buddy.

****, we even drink beers together in the off season.
if you are ever in the lake tahoe area, come and join us.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #7 of 7 Old 05-01-2017, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 14
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIT333 View Post
Wow - looks like those pictures were taken 20 years ago. That machine is clean enough to eat off of. Any photos of the outside ?

Did you spray a cleaner inside the transmission area ? If so, what did you use ?
No I didn`t spray any cleaner but I wiped it down last Spring before I put it away with a rag with some gas on it. That is how I knew to replace the rubber friction wheel at the end of this winter season. LOL, no I would not eat off of it but it is clean. I`ll post pics of the outside at the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermar View Post
Great job. Super clean! You really know how to take care of equipment. It should last another twenty years.
Thanks,I take pride in keeping all my equipment, snow blower, Harley, Lawn mowers, Pick up truck, in good working order, outside and in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessFront View Post
Your machine has a 16" impeller. WoW that bad boy must eat snow like crazy and toss it far what kind of machine do you have, that has a 16" impeller? From the color's I'm guessing a Yardman by MTD with a 13hp SnowKing. That is when MTD still made some excellent machine's. I know that's as large as they go and were made by a few manufacturer's. MTD used a 16" impeller on the last of the Snowbird's. Can we get a few photo's of the outside? My Snapper 8246 has a 12" wide impeller with 15" tall augers which is an inch larger than my 11" impellers on my Ariens 10000 series and you can clearly see the difference just by looking at my two machine's. The larger impeller makes a huge difference, even though it's only an inch difference. I can only imagine how a machine with a 16" impeller performs. The belly of your beast must be huge. Changing the friction disk on my Snapper is a cake walk. Very simple yet effective set up in the gearbox. The friction disk is connected to and powered by a chaincase. But trying to change the friction disk on an Ariens 10000 series, forget it, it's a nightmare, you have to literally disassemble, half the gear box just to access it. The friction disk on my 24" Ariens is due for a change, I'm starting to loose power of first. I wish someone would make a video or posted a service manual on how to change the friction disks on those machine's. They did not make it easy. But I wouldn't trade my 2002 Snapper for anything in the world, especially not for anything they build now.
Yup. That`s exactly what it is. 33" with the 13 HP Snowking. It does a fantastic job on moving snow. Always has and now that I have installed the impeller kit, I`m excited to see how it performs next Winter. I`m surprised that YouTube does not have anything on changing your friction disc of your machine. You should request Donnyboy73 to help you with it. He is "The Man" when it comes to " fix it" videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
Does that have trigger steering on it?????????????
Yes, it does have trigger steering and I love it. Makes moving the machine effortless.
There are more photos in the gallery

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes uberT, FearlessFront liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page