LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-09-2017, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 108
Likes (Given): 107
Likes (Received): 252
Should I sell engine or use it

I picked up a old MTD cheap with a 10hp Tec engine with plans to put it on a toro in need of a engine but it turned out to be a double shaft engine, Seems these go for a few $$$ seeing there's not a lot of double shafts out there so would I be better off selling it or using it just using the main shaft, I think finding a single shaft and a 8 hp that the toro had would be better to sell than a different engine with extra shaft. The 10hp is in good shape and runs well.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.

Last edited by Dauntae; 05-09-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-09-2017, 10:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
I'd sell the 2 shafts engine and get a single shaft engine (you'll likely end up with a few spare $$).
post #3 of 11 Old 05-10-2017, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 108
Likes (Given): 107
Likes (Received): 252
I'm thinking that way, got it cheap because the blower is in real bad shape with rot on the bucket so easy to make a little on engine, might try CL to avoid shipping, how much do you think I should ask for it.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #4 of 11 Old 05-10-2017, 09:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 23
$100-$125

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Toro CCR1000
2007 Cub Cadet 524SWE
post #5 of 11 Old 05-11-2017, 05:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
For a dual shaft 10hp in good shape and running well, I'd start at $175-225 and drop from there if it does not sell.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-11-2017, 06:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 326
If someone needs a dual shaft, it's gold. There aren't that many blowers that take a twin shaft engine of that size, but when needed it's needed.
If you don't get offered what you think it's worth, fog the cylinder and drain the gas and put it on the shelf. There will be a time when it's needed.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #7 of 11 Old 05-11-2017, 09:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
Sell it and find a BRIGGS to put on that TORO.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 11 Old 05-22-2017, 12:24 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
I'm thinking that way, got it cheap because the blower is in real bad shape with rot on the bucket so easy to make a little on engine, might try CL to avoid shipping, how much do you think I should ask for it.
I sold a 1975, 8hp Tecumseh engine that was made specifically for an Ariens Sno-Thro that had a single 1" shaft for $300 on ebay plus shipping. After fee's still over $260 profit. Engine ran perfect and was in excellent mechanical condition. (I regret selling that one, I should have put it on my 71 Ariens Sno-Thro). I paid $45 for it on ebay, cleaned it up real nice added the missing ground plug on the linkage and flipped it a few weeks later. It sold so high because it was an Ariens specific engine.
A 2006 5.5hp Tecumseh single shaft 3/4" for $180 plus shipping. Over $150 profit. It was in like new condition, removed it from a little cheap beat up Craftsman 22" snowblower that I would have been lucky to get $150 for after spending money to get a new belt.
A 1971 Tecumseh H70, 7hp single shaft 3/4" built specifically for an Ariens Sno-Thro for $250 and than sold the starter separately for $50. It ran perfect and was in excellent mechanical condition. That guy ended up putting it on a minibike. Had an owner of an Ariens needed it and purchased it I would have got more for it, the original asking price
.....and I sold one 1969 Tecumseh H50, 5hp Tecumseh engine with a single 3/4" shaft for $180. The engine was in nearly pristine condition and that is when they made the 5hp block as large as the 7hp block. It came off a Snowbird nobody wanted to buy.

You should clean it up real nice. Make sure it is fine tuned and running excellent and than throw it on ebay. You will have no problem getting $300 for it within a month of posting it. Shipping those engines is easy and only costs about $50 which the buyers don't mind paying. You can also add local pickup to the ad on ebay, sometime's you get lucky and a local will contact you and come pick it up in person without haggling on the price and you don't have to bother shipping it and since he is saving on shipping and your saving on the fee's you can let it go a little cheaper if they ask. I got lucky that way twice. Than another time a guy who only lived a town over, 15 minutes away purchased an engine and had it shipped and paid to have it shipped even though he was only
15 minutes away.
I purchased a 1958 Briggs Model 23A that powered a 3500 watt Winco generator. It was in pristine condition. I purchased it for $100 put it on ebay and resold it for $600 plus shipping. It weighed 200 pounds and was shipped freight on a pallet thru a trucking company, R&L out of the Newark, N.J terminal to Kansas. It was $100 to ship, the guy did not mind paying it and he loved it when he got it. Still sends me a message saying Merry Christmas during the holidays.
If you post it on Craigslist it will take a long time to sell and you will not get as much for it. You will be low balled. If you list it on Ebay the entire country will see it and it will sell for $300 easily and its easy to ship. Enter the dimensions and weight into the listing and ship thru UPS and it will automatically set the rate from the zip its going from and to when they buy it. After fee's you will still make over $260 on that engine. Unless you can find a buyer at $250 on craigslist ebay is the way to go when it comes to selling these engine's I have learned. Tecumseh Snowking engines were/are and will continue to be in high demand for snowblowers, minibikes and other large equipment that need a good larger reliable engine. The small frame engine's are hot for snowblowers and minibike/go-karts and the medium frame engines are hot for snowblowers. I have pulled Tecumseh engine's off snowblowers that either would not have sold or would have sold for half the value of just the engine on ebay, that you would get half of for the entire machine many time's. I paid $195 for my 1971 32" Ariens Sno-Thro. I removed its original engine the H70 which was not powerful enough for a machine that size, sold the engine and e-start for $300. Than purchased a 212cc Predator for $100 which has a ton of power and broke even, got the snowblower free all said and done with a much more powerful engine that can easily power a 32 wide bucket and throw the snow fast and hard. Many people think of the value of the entire machine, which generally is lower than a specific part, like an engine which is more valuable and will bring more money on its own. Most people do not want to buy a whole machine to re-power theirs so they head onto eBay, etc and will pay more to have a good solid, clean excellent running engine on its own ready to go, to be bolted straight onto the machine they purchased it for.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-22-2017, 03:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 216
FF

You certainly know how to flip engines. Congrats.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-22-2017, 09:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 656
Thanks (Received): 166
Likes (Given): 1027
Likes (Received): 1063
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessFront View Post
I sold a 1975, 8hp Tecumseh engine that was made specifically for an Ariens Sno-Thro that had a single 1" shaft for $300 on ebay plus shipping. After fee's still over $260 profit. Engine ran perfect and was in excellent mechanical condition. (I regret selling that one, I should have put it on my 71 Ariens Sno-Thro). I paid $45 for it on ebay, cleaned it up real nice added the missing ground plug on the linkage and flipped it a few weeks later. It sold so high because it was an Ariens specific engine.
A 2006 5.5hp Tecumseh single shaft 3/4" for $180 plus shipping. Over $150 profit. It was in like new condition, removed it from a little cheap beat up Craftsman 22" snowblower that I would have been lucky to get $150 for after spending money to get a new belt.
A 1971 Tecumseh H70, 7hp single shaft 3/4" built specifically for an Ariens Sno-Thro for $250 and than sold the starter separately for $50. It ran perfect and was in excellent mechanical condition. That guy ended up putting it on a minibike. Had an owner of an Ariens needed it and purchased it I would have got more for it, the original asking price
.....and I sold one 1969 Tecumseh H50, 5hp Tecumseh engine with a single 3/4" shaft for $180. The engine was in nearly pristine condition and that is when they made the 5hp block as large as the 7hp block. It came off a Snowbird nobody wanted to buy.

You should clean it up real nice. Make sure it is fine tuned and running excellent and than throw it on ebay. You will have no problem getting $300 for it within a month of posting it. Shipping those engines is easy and only costs about $50 which the buyers don't mind paying. You can also add local pickup to the ad on ebay, sometime's you get lucky and a local will contact you and come pick it up in person without haggling on the price and you don't have to bother shipping it and since he is saving on shipping and your saving on the fee's you can let it go a little cheaper if they ask. I got lucky that way twice. Than another time a guy who only lived a town over, 15 minutes away purchased an engine and had it shipped and paid to have it shipped even though he was only
15 minutes away.
I purchased a 1958 Briggs Model 23A that powered a 3500 watt Winco generator. It was in pristine condition. I purchased it for $100 put it on ebay and resold it for $600 plus shipping. It weighed 200 pounds and was shipped freight on a pallet thru a trucking company, R&L out of the Newark, N.J terminal to Kansas. It was $100 to ship, the guy did not mind paying it and he loved it when he got it. Still sends me a message saying Merry Christmas during the holidays.
If you post it on Craigslist it will take a long time to sell and you will not get as much for it. You will be low balled. If you list it on Ebay the entire country will see it and it will sell for $300 easily and its easy to ship. Enter the dimensions and weight into the listing and ship thru UPS and it will automatically set the rate from the zip its going from and to when they buy it. After fee's you will still make over $260 on that engine. Unless you can find a buyer at $250 on craigslist ebay is the way to go when it comes to selling these engine's I have learned. Tecumseh Snowking engines were/are and will continue to be in high demand for snowblowers, minibikes and other large equipment that need a good larger reliable engine. The small frame engine's are hot for snowblowers and minibike/go-karts and the medium frame engines are hot for snowblowers. I have pulled Tecumseh engine's off snowblowers that either would not have sold or would have sold for half the value of just the engine on ebay, that you would get half of for the entire machine many time's. I paid $195 for my 1971 32" Ariens Sno-Thro. I removed its original engine the H70 which was not powerful enough for a machine that size, sold the engine and e-start for $300. Than purchased a 212cc Predator for $100 which has a ton of power and broke even, got the snowblower free all said and done with a much more powerful engine that can easily power a 32 wide bucket and throw the snow fast and hard. Many people think of the value of the entire machine, which generally is lower than a specific part, like an engine which is more valuable and will bring more money on its own. Most people do not want to buy a whole machine to re-power theirs so they head onto eBay, etc and will pay more to have a good solid, clean excellent running engine on its own ready to go, to be bolted straight onto the machine they purchased it for.

gee, now i know what I can do with my ariens 824 engine . can't even give the snowblower away.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page