LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-08-2017, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Which one would you keep?

I am new here and need some advice from the experts. I have owned a Craftsman 5hp - 22" for a few years now and I was given a Murray Ultra 8hp - 24". Trying to decide which to keep? Would anyone here have a preference? I know both of these are not high end machines but for me and the amount of snow I have to move they do the job. From what I have noticed Pro's and Con's.
Craftsman Pro's - Looks made better. The chute is metal
Con's - 5 hp / No stator for auxiliary electric

Murray Pro's - 8HP / Has stator for maybe a light or much wanted heated grips / rust free
con's - Has rust in side the bucket all along the bottom / The chute made of plastic-does not look quality at all

Both have tecumseh engines snow king just different sizes. Which one would you keep and why? Thank you all for your input. I want to put some pic up but I am not allowed to on the forum.

Last edited by Turbo1002; 06-08-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-08-2017, 08:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
I'd keep the 824, better power per inch ratio compared to the 522 + the stator on the engine. You can repair the rusted area.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-08-2017, 10:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 23
I'd check the availability of parts and keep the one I can get parts for easily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Toro CCR1000
2007 Cub Cadet 524SWE
post #4 of 9 Old 06-09-2017, 05:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 216
Not sure about Murray, but Toro's plastic chutes are bulletproof and are guaranteed for life. I view that chute as a plus vs the metal one. It can be sprayed with Armor All to make it very slippery, and will not rust. Don't let the chute be a deal breaker.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-09-2017, 01:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 34
Likes (Received): 111
Depends on how much snow you usually get. if the 5/22 can do your snowfalls and is nicer i would take that. if you need a snow beast the 8hp would probably be worth fixing up.

Toro snow commander 7hp RTEK ...honda HS720 GC190 OHC
Toro ccr3650 6.5hp RTEK ....Ariens sno-tek 26" 208cc LCT
Ariens st824 924082 HMSK 80 ....Ariens path pro 136cc
post #6 of 9 Old 06-14-2017, 01:53 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 17
Sell them both and get a snapper 8/24!
But no seriously if I had to choose between the two I would keep the Murray with 8hp engine, (the plastic chutes on those machine's are pretty cheesy, but if it ever breaks, their are a ton of Murray made machine's that have that chute, finding another wont be hard, my Snapper has a plastic made material chute as well and its great, but its solid quality plastic, the ones on those Murray's are flimsy and crack easy).
However my friend just got an older Grey Craftsman 5/22 from his neighbor free and it is nice, they made them with quality in the 90's still and is good enough for his one single large driveway, plus its an older unit but it was also made by Murray after Murray bought out Noma. Most likely your Craftsman is a Murray a little older, Noma which was a little better but was bought out by Murray, depending how old it is, otherwise its an MTD unit if its newer. If it's an MTD definitely get rid of it, everything they have made in the last 10-15 years has been of very poor quality.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-14-2017, 06:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 571
Any blower that starts and throws snow is worth keeping....or selling. Neither of them are on my favorites list....but who cares?
post #8 of 9 Old 06-18-2017, 04:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 66
I say keep them both.. definitely don't sell any before November. If room put one away for back-up. When it is 5 degrees out last thing you want to deal with is broken blower. If I had to choose one though I'd go with bigger one and sell the better looking one in Nov.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-29-2017, 10:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno View Post
I say keep them both.. definitely don't sell any before November. If room put one away for back-up. When it is 5 degrees out last thing you want to deal with is broken blower. If I had to choose one though I'd go with bigger one and sell the better looking one in Nov.

What he said. Rust can be taken care of. If your Craftsman is the one I think it is, it's got a gear drive transmission which is rock solid. The other likely has a friction disc, and that's hard to find for some model machines. Nothing says if you have the room, not to keep both. I have a few, if one doesn't start for some reason, the next one does. Little is good for small places while big chews up the deep and frozen stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page