LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-13-2017, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 13
Ariens disappointment

My 2016 Compact 24 was used perhaps five times over the last two winters. I like to keep my equipment looking like new. A couple of days ago, I pulled it out to change the oil. I was disappointed to see the shaft going from the auger to the impeller was covered in rust. Some of the nuts & bolts on the machine are showing early rust as well. I sanded the shaft, applied two coats of silver "Rust Bullet" and finished with Por 15 topcoat black. I always rinse the bucket after each use in case it was exposed to salt. I'm a little bent that I have to do this for a nearly new machine. Okay, I've vented.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-13-2017, 03:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermar View Post
My 2016 Compact 24 was used perhaps five times over the last two winters. I like to keep my equipment looking like new. A couple of days ago, I pulled it out to change the oil. I was disappointed to see the shaft going from the auger to the impeller was covered in rust. Some of the nuts & bolts on the machine are showing early rust as well. I sanded the shaft, applied two coats of silver "Rust Bullet" and finished with Por 15 topcoat black. I always rinse the bucket after each use in case it was exposed to salt. I'm a little bent that I have to do this for a nearly new machine. Okay, I've vented.
First law of metal, IT ALWAYS RUSTS. it is returning to it's original state. you could have the finest german, british steel and it will do the same thing.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 12 Old 06-13-2017, 05:16 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 68
Welcome to the age of cheap steel and cheaper paint (read eco-friendly into that). My '63 SnowBird still has most of its' paint on the impeller shaft. Sign of the times brother.
post #4 of 12 Old 06-13-2017, 07:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 23
probably another example of poor prep before paint. that coupled with the "new" EPA paints with no lead and less volatile solvents and chemicals in their formula just don't have the longevity of yesteryear.

1995 Toro CCR1000
2007 Cub Cadet 524SWE
post #5 of 12 Old 06-14-2017, 03:23 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverRider View Post
Welcome to the age of cheap steel and cheaper paint (read eco-friendly into that). My '63 SnowBird still has most of its' paint on the impeller shaft. Sign of the times brother.
Agreed, what a shame. I would not buy a new machine if I had to. Now I'm always looking for older lightly used machines over the new crap, your almost always better off with an older lightly used machine over new now. They don't build anything like they used too. It's a shame.

Last edited by FearlessFront; 06-14-2017 at 03:25 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-14-2017, 06:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 571
my thought....get a 70's or 80's Ariens.....get rid of the Tecumseh ...install a preditor from HF...AND LET THE GAMES BEGIN!
post #7 of 12 Old 06-14-2017, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Good points about cheap steel & cheaper paint. All that orange paint is rust free and so is the auger. That shaft is visible, so I'd be happy to pay the extra buck it would take to paint it with something that lasts.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-15-2017, 01:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 271
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 153
Likes (Received): 75
Valspar Tractor and Implement Enamel (in the can) and add the Valspar 4625 Enamel Hardener both on Amazon. And read and follow the precautions including using a 3-M replaceable filter respirator.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-15-2017, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks E350. I did use Valspar 4625 Enamel Hardener with POR15 topcoat. I love 4625. I'm about to use it to paint a garage side door along with my favorite paint: Rust-Oleum Marine Topside Paint. [Also on Amazon.]
post #10 of 12 Old 06-17-2017, 01:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 271
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 153
Likes (Received): 75
Jermar:

Marine Coatings Topside Paint Product Page

Based on your recommendation, I am willing to try it with the Valspar Hardener. What do you prefer in the Rustoleum Topside Paint over the Valspar Tractor and Implement?

And do you thin the Topside? and if so, with what?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page