LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 08-19-2017, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 3
Blower build thoughts and ideas

It is almost that time of year again, and I am going to put the blower back together that's been a basket case for the last year. It is a 536 26" black and grey craftsman. I think I am going to go with a 13hp predator. I really just have a few things that I'm not sure of.

It needs new tires, so I may as well upgrade. Do I just want tires as tall and wide as I can fit? Any particular brand or tread that performs best?

It has a 14" 4 blade impeller right now. I am considering going with a 6 blade impeller that is twice as thick, and fully welded and supported. The 13hp should have the power to spin it i would think. The only downside I can think of is increased belt wear due to slipping more on engagement, and I think that would be minimal.

Then there is the chute. It just rattled around, and needs some serious attention if I am going to motorize it. Any ideas on how to build a good solid swivel? I have a few ideas in mind, just don't want to reinvent the wheel if not necessary.

This is going to be my blizzard blower, so I'm looking for overkill. I'm probably going to add a 12 to 18" drift buster on top too. Just want to do it right the first time. Thanks for any help or ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-20-2017, 12:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I am new to this forum. That said, I do small engine repair and am no fan of the predator engines. The do not last, if they even run!! Been my experience anyway. But, for the price, they are what they are. I have seen good ones, and bad ones straight out of the box. Keep that in mind.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-20-2017, 03:26 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappybest View Post
I am new to this forum. That said, I do small engine repair and am no fan of the predator engines. The do not last, if they even run!! Been my experience anyway. But, for the price, they are what they are. I have seen good ones, and bad ones straight out of the box. Keep that in mind.
I'll say it to get it out of the way....
You are on thin ice here... there are thousands of posts from people loving Predators ;-)
Most people are usually talking about the smaller versions.

OK everyone... cut him some slack... no need to start the " love Predators" conversation... again! ... and China... and blah blah ;-)
Just search the repower thread for LOADS of Predator testimonials positive and negative and all shades in between.
That's a great thread for fighting the Predator & China wars.
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/re-powering/

Last edited by unknown1; 08-20-2017 at 05:19 PM.
post #4 of 15 Old 08-20-2017, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
It seems that the predator is the cheapest option right now. The next cheapest is a small block Chevy, followed by a Volkswagen, then honda. I think I will leave the first 2 options for Geno, and the honda is too pricey for me. I really want something that will blast through 4 foot of snow with ease. Maybe I should just find a cheap lawn tractor for an engine? I have an 8hp snowmaster that will kick the wheels off of any factory 2 stage on 12" of wet snow, and I'd like a 2 stage that can on the big storms too.

I first ran a blower at 30 years old when our town was shut down by Storm Atlas (Ironically this blowers name is Atlas). Trying to throw 3 to 4 foot of wet snow with a walmart blower was horrible. I need a bad sob for when the snowmaster is out gunned.

Last edited by mcflyfyter; 08-20-2017 at 04:02 AM.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-20-2017, 04:04 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Do you have a model number for that craftsman? Usually on a decal close to your feet on the transmission.
That helps us focus our heads onto the specific machine.

By the way, if the original engine was a twin shaft and you are repowering with a single shaft, your gears will be flipped.
Forward is reverse and reverse is forward.
I got stung by that when I bought a Craftsman that had been repowered with a Predator.
I gave in and ended up repowering it back to a twin shaft just last week.

There are ways to take account of that in one of my LONG threads... the way to try to flip the transmission is in messages 32 33 34 over here..

#32 https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/967937-post32.html
#34 https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/1264578-post34.html

Last edited by unknown1; 08-20-2017 at 04:09 AM.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-20-2017, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I have a 536.882602, and it's only output is the crankshaft. I didn't even know that some genius somewhere thought it would be a good idea to transfer power through the cam. After all, controlling valves is only the secondary function of the cam, right? I would run away very fast from any engine like that, but thanks for the heads up.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-20-2017, 05:00 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcflyfyter View Post
I have a 536.882602 ...
Parts and diagrams are here to help anyone who will be commenting on the wheels etc.
CRAFTSMAN CRAFTSMAN 26 IN-7 H.P. SNOW THROWER Parts | Model 536882602 | Sears PartsDirect

(Yes.. lots of twin-shaft Tecumseh engines on lots of Craftsman blowers... but not this one apparently)

Last edited by unknown1; 08-20-2017 at 05:06 AM.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-20-2017, 07:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 247
Likes (Received): 290
22hp v-twin

If you're gonna be a bear be a grizzly

https://www.harborfreight.com/engine...s-engines.html

1989 John Deere 1032
1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5/24)
2015 Snapper Pro SW30 52" Mower
post #9 of 15 Old 08-20-2017, 12:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcflyfyter View Post
I have a 536.882602, and it's only output is the crankshaft. I didn't even know that some genius somewhere thought it would be a good idea to transfer power through the cam. After all, controlling valves is only the secondary function of the cam, right? I would run away very fast from any engine like that, but thanks for the heads up.
For what it's worth Gilson made heavy use of the camshaft output for traction in the 1980's. Of the 1000's of e-mails I have about those models I can't recall a single mention of trouble related to that secondary output.

Pete
post #10 of 15 Old 08-20-2017, 01:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
In case someone in the forum did not know, older Yamaha YS828 and YS624 have the PTO from the camshaft only. And for people that has had or have one of them, they are know for excellent performer engines.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks E350 thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page