LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-10-2017, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 79
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 330
Likes (Received): 362
Craigslist fun: Honda HS70 - $650

"Reverse doesn't work too well, but you buy a snowblower to drive forward, not reverse."

"...the equivalent current model is $2,500!"

Why do Sellers of old, OLD Honda's always feel the need to mention how much a new one is?

https://cnj.craigslist.org/grd/d/hon...293672315.html

1989 John Deere 1032
1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5)
1978 Ariens S16H Tractor & Plow

Last edited by tdipaul; 09-10-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-10-2017, 11:04 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 78
That Craigslist post will disappear once it's sold so I'll cut-n-paste it here...

Honda, HS70 Snowblower with tank treads. Unit was professionally maintained by a BMW mechanic. Engine is strong, and starts up with the 1st pull every time. Drained every season.
Reverse doesn't work too well, but you buy a snowblower to drive forward, not reverse. Pully and all belts (drive and auger) replaced last year. I'm selling because I'm paying for a snow removal service, so I no longer need this wonderful machine.
These things are tanks, the equivalent current model is $2,500! Priced for a quick sale, $650.

I guess if it was professionally maintained by a BMW mechanic that suggests that his cars don't go into reverse either... you buy a car to drive forward, not reverse. ;-)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes tdipaul liked this post
post #3 of 12 Old 09-11-2017, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 591
Thanks (Received): 772
Likes (Given): 4374
Likes (Received): 1743
Garage
It's the same as people who say they have $12,000 invested into their car and you find out they're including oil changes, tires, a radiator five years ago and the fender repair where they ran into their own garage.
I've seen it too so many times. It's especially funny when it's a total pile of junk, missing parts, rusted and held together with duct tape and wire and they tell you the incredibly high brand new price.

And with Honda blowers especially it seems the sellers have always forgot to adjust the skids so it's missing the auger teeth and the housing is ground down.

As long as I'm venting let's toss out the best of the best. Major thing you'd buy it for isn't working but "it's an easy fix, likely just a fuse". If it was easy or just a fuse why doesn't the clown just fix it or put one in

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes tdipaul, YSHSfan liked this post
post #4 of 12 Old 09-11-2017, 03:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 54
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 94
not all auto mechanics make good small engine mechanics. some simply can't understand simple
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes tdipaul liked this post
post #5 of 12 Old 09-11-2017, 03:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 54
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
It's the same as people who say they have $12,000 invested into their car and you find out they're including oil changes, tires, a radiator five years ago and the fender repair where they ran into their own garage.
I've seen it too so many times. It's especially funny when it's a total pile of junk, missing parts, rusted and held together with duct tape and wire and they tell you the incredibly high brand new price.

And with Honda blowers especially it seems the sellers have always forgot to adjust the skids so it's missing the auger teeth and the housing is ground down.

As long as I'm venting let's toss out the best of the best. Major thing you'd buy it for isn't working but "it's an easy fix, likely just a fuse". If it was easy or just a fuse why doesn't the clown just fix it or put one in
OH HOW TRUE,i have a close buddy,only works on vipers , if you could see his 3 year old huskysnow blower you would faint. no skid shoes left , auger housing ground down to where you can't even replace the skids or the scrapper any more. ask him why he let it go so bad. answer is i'll just buy another same thing with his none box store lawn tractor. i when it dies.i'll just junk it and buy another
i'd personally love to be around when he does, a yanmar powered cadet
post #6 of 12 Old 09-11-2017, 07:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 376
Likes (Given): 468
Likes (Received): 483
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 powershift View Post
same thing with his none box store lawn tractor. i when it dies.i'll just junk it and buy another
i'd personally love to be around when he does, a yanmar powered cadet
I'd let him know that if he ever decides to junk it you'd like to take it........a lot of times it does work.....!
post #7 of 12 Old 09-11-2017, 07:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdipaul View Post
Truth is, there is no equivalent current model to it (IMO)....
I've seen it also with older Yamahas where some sellers advertise at "It was bought for $2500-3000 new". One of the Yamahas that I bought came with the original purchase invoice and that told me that the previous statement was not true at all......
post #8 of 12 Old 09-11-2017, 08:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdipaul View Post
"Reverse doesn't work too well, but you buy a snowblower to drive forward, not reverse."

Why do Sellers of old, OLD Honda's always feel the need to mention how much a new one is?

https://cnj.craigslist.org/grd/d/hon...293672315.html
its a sales tactic and it works. if people are feeling like they are getting a deal, it triggers a buying response.

some people arent as informed as us about what things cost and how much things are worth what is good and what is bad.

say a guy hears from his buddy that honda snowblowers are the best but they are so expensive. he checks new ones out online then he sees this on craigslist. he probably doesnt know the model history of honda blowers.

ill do this to a certain extent when i'm flipping blowers. i dont sell junk and the stuff i get is well maintained and in good working order before i sell them . i would say honda snowblowers are expensive and last for a very long time if maintained correctly.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-11-2017, 11:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
For those of us who complaint of fuel tank be too small, here is the perfect upgrade...(unless the size of the fuel tank is just an optical illusion)

post #10 of 12 Old 09-11-2017, 01:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 763
Thanks (Received): 236
Likes (Given): 1584
Likes (Received): 1679
Garage
it probably just needs an adjustment for reverse to work better. works with a friction disk, doesn't it?

anyway that blower would sell fast around here at that price. I have seen HS80's in very good to excellent condition here. they will last as long you maintain them. I believe they were built better in those days. sturdier.

you can find a donor machine cheap and keep that thing going forever.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page