Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpinski View Post
please ignore
Actually this was the correct thread ;-)
That other one was the wrong thread
Hard to tell because the truncated names are the same on the "Recent Discussions" panel :-(

Hey.. I found me a fact-checker!! Awesome!! Thanks for looking at the data and thanks for checking... I'll go take a peek if it's wrong and fix it pronto :-)

Thanks for caring :-)
post #23 of 34 Old 10-17-2017, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart80112 View Post
Actually this was the correct thread ;-)
That other one was the wrong thread
Hard to tell because the truncated names are the same on the "Recent Discussions" panel :-(

Hey.. I found me a fact-checker!! Awesome!! Thanks for looking at the data and thanks for checking... I'll go take a peek if it's wrong and fix it pronto :-)

Thanks for caring :-)
Bonus points if you can reverse-engineer the error :-)

If the exchange rate is 0.8 then it's kinda important if you MULTIPLY or DIVIDE

Just commenting on your suggestions

Friction/Hydro I explained previously why I didn't include that but mentioned it was useful. I was being overly-cautious and not wanting to bias anything by implying it might be important.... I was trying to avoid introducing an attribute that only ONE vendor may have.... do you see how that can be non-neutral in some cases. But If it's just a yes-no thing without a traffic-signal color and if it's not something obviously biased then yes I think I should introduce it.... after all it's just data.

I also think Carb/EFI is another one for the same reasons and the same rationale

I also agree on Pull/AC/DC but then there's DC-onboard DC-external maybe even others too if anyone can think of any others please jump in and tell me :-)

You probably see why I'm being anal-retentive on this vendor-neutral thing. I don't want to advantage or disadvantage ANY vendor... they are quite capable of doing that themselves with a set of specs and prices ;-) I need to stay true to that and if anyone spots me going astray... call me on it like I called myself on the impeller guesses for the reasons I mentioned.

That math error had a severe bias against Yamaha!! but only in the USA not in Canada... which doesn't actually matter given their Canada-only position ....ironic

Double bonus points for being a Canadian and looking at USA prices ;-)

Last edited by unknown1; 10-17-2017 at 07:55 PM.
post #24 of 34 Old 10-17-2017, 08:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 85
Thanks (Received): 69
Likes (Given): 302
Likes (Received): 133
I like all the effort that went into your spread sheets. But for a old raisin like me I like that way one blower feels over another one. I have my 2014 Toro and I use a Husky ST224P after I do my own yard and I feel that the little Husky for the price is a excellent machine, in some ways I like it better than my Toro. But you did a excellent job with your research so far.

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks unknown1 thanked for this post
post #25 of 34 Old 10-17-2017, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky View Post
I like all the effort that went into your spread sheets. But for a old raisin like me I like that way one blower feels over another one. I have my 2014 Toro and I use a Husky ST224P after I do my own yard and I feel that the little Husky for the price is a excellent machine, in some ways I like it better than my Toro. But you did a excellent job with your research so far.
Astute observation... this is all 2 or 3-stage... I could see a similar database for single-stage or entries in this database to include them. I don''t have the energy for that at present though :-(
With those criteria you are currently on your own

If this was all readily available on a SINGLE spreadsheet from each vendor I'd have been done in 10 minutes!! They sure don't make it easy.
post #26 of 34 Old 10-17-2017, 08:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 85
Thanks (Received): 69
Likes (Given): 302
Likes (Received): 133
Both are 2 stage units, I realize you can not do every machine just from my own use and price wish the little Husky is a great little machine.

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD
post #27 of 34 Old 10-17-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky View Post
Both are 2 stage units, I realize you can not do every machine just from my own use and price wish the little Husky is a great little machine.
Yep.. I didn't word that well.. when I saw your interest in something small and nimble .. then thought..yes.. maybe even a single stage too

If I could get a single spreadsheet from each vendor listing all their specs for all their models in this kind of format I could do ALL the above and much more
If anyone knows how to make that happen (maybe [email protected]) (maybe a lurker) I'd be very happy indeed

Last edited by unknown1; 10-18-2017 at 02:57 PM.
post #28 of 34 Old 10-17-2017, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Looking for fact-check volunteers

If you think this has value and would like to help me fact-check I have a small easy task for you

There is a very real possibility I just destroyed my data with a few unfortunate clicks in excel
I'm not using version control so I may have just lost about 40 hours of effort (which explains the timestamps on a lot of my posts)

The task is simply this... if I could get 33 volunteers I could allocate one model to each of you and ask you to check that model the next time I post the database
Then keep those numbers handy and have a quick glance at that model each time a new version comes out or whenever I send a post saying "fact-check now please"

That would help enormously.
Any takers?

If there are any takers .. I'll make a list and put a fact-checker column into the database so you can see who you are and which model I'm asking you to check.
You'd only need to look up the model once with the vendor and then squirrel those numbers away for re-use later
If so please "Send me a PM titled "Fact Checker - Your Username"

Last edited by unknown1; 10-17-2017 at 09:13 PM.
post #29 of 34 Old 10-18-2017, 07:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 342
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1117
TORO Runs a 12 inch dia impeller, the old school TOROS used a 14 inch impeller.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #30 of 34 Old 10-18-2017, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
TORO Runs a 12 inch dia impeller, the old school TOROS used a 14 inch impeller.
Thanks.. that was my guess and that's why I initially put it in there... then I worried about the "Keep it Honest" thing and backed it out

So all we need is an answer from Robert for Honda and we're done on that column for the USA at least. (BTW I'm working that via PM.. he's checking for us)
If any Yamaha folks know too.. please let us know.. the Canadian members might like to see that.

I'm relying on your data.. no one can verify this for themselves from the websites.... so it's not strictly "science" but I'll go with it and leave them in italics to show that the data is currently unable to be verified from the sites I'm using to mine the data

The risk of course is that someone slipped you $3 to say that and it's actually 15" and no-one noticed ;-)

If someone is familiar with any of the placeholder columns for some or all brands/models I'd love to hear.

I would use a similar approach for Starter,Fuel,Drive
Continually running through 30-something websites is boring and time-consuming... that's one of the motivations for this database

Thanks for caring

Last edited by unknown1; 10-18-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page