post #31 of 34 Old 10-18-2017, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 77
Aimed at newbies

If you are worried about a SPEC like impeller diameter.. you need to know WHY you care

We should be guided by theory, not by numbers.

Quote from: https://blog.deming.org/w-edwards-de...dwards-deming/

A slow-rotating big impeller is no better than a fast-rotating small impeller

For that column to have significant meaning it would need to be combined with RPM to deduce any value judgement

I think I just found two more potential columns ImpellerDiameter ImpellerRPM -> gives Tangential Velocity-> which possibly indicates a potential "CLOG" metric
But then you need to factor in the diameter of the exit hole and any obstructions and it becomes a mess

Therefore I will add the diameters but NOT traffic signal them..... if you implicitly do that in your brain.... make sure you know why or you may be misled... by your "gut feel".... or even by Marketing. We already saw that (perhaps) on the cross plots earlier.

Some specs are super-useful others are perhaps "indicators" at best.
I picked the main two because I don't think there's much doubt on those ( Throw & Tons/hr )

If you care about Throw... look at Throw.... the rpm stuff is potentially implied by Throw... assuming that the Throw spec is actually meaningful at all.
I talked about that earlier when I was questioning our assumptions about what a SPEC really is.

I get suspicious when I see round numbers in Specs.... but not so with Prices ;-)

Last edited by unknown1; 10-18-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 10-18-2017, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart80112 View Post
<snip>
If you care about Throw... look at Throw.... the rpm stuff is potentially implied by Throw... assuming that the Throw spec is actually meaningful at all.
I talked about that earlier when I was questioning our assumptions about what a SPEC really is.
I get suspicious when I see round numbers in Specs.... but not so with Prices ;-)
Let me use my own logic and rephrase..

If you care about Throw... look at Throw specs

If you care about Horsepower... look at the HP specs
If you care about emissions.. look at the Volkswagen emission specs.

I've already expressed concerns about Throw because they are round numbers and have a (*Caveat) next to them.
We will soon have the impeller diameters and I could do a quick calculation using RPM to come up with that Tangential Velocity and see what I see.
45 degree chute angle sounds like a good bet.

Does anyone know the Impeller RPMs for some or all the models in the database?
Does anyone know how to get there from Engine RPMS and pulley ratios and is willing to try figure out those impeller RPMs?

Jim works in Marketing and is presented with specs from the Engineering and Testing department Throw is 37.455 (+/- 0.003) feet
He looks for competitor analysis because that's what MBAs do - sounds reasonable. His competitor is showing 40 feet.
Will he round to the nearest "pretty number" to get the closest number (factor of 5) ... authentically that would be 35 feet.
His annual bonus is based on units sold... so too is everyone else in the company.
Jim is paid to capture brand-loyalty and stimulate sales... that's his job.
He needs his job - He needs his bonus - His child needs surgery.. no insurance.... what's a guy to do?

That little (*Caveat) next to Throw is pretty handy.

I'm confused by my second image.. shouldn't they all point the same way?

Predicting throw for a given velocity for a given launch angle is...
Parabolic Trajectory Here: https://www.google.com/search?q=para...utf-8&oe=utf-8
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ethics.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	111697   Click image for larger version

Name:	honesty.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	111705  

Last edited by unknown1; 10-18-2017 at 07:19 PM.
post #33 of 34 Old 10-18-2017, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Hello Newbies :-)

I just heard a PM telling me you cannot see some links until you have posted 10 times.

<snip>.. I have to wait to hit 10 posts to view the images in the sig but .. <snip>

Please post on the admin thread - if true, that is not helping you.
They should be able to confirm that or explain for others too.

Last edited by unknown1; 10-18-2017 at 04:26 PM.
post #34 of 34 Old 10-18-2017, 05:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Garage
Hello all!

2nd post woot! woot!

Man, I really wish this was around last year! It would have saved me so much time researching for snowblowers! Either way, I think this is great to have the data consolidated like this. Being able to see it by price (Canadian and US $), Engine CC, weight, etc. is a big help especially between multiple manufactures! Great for people like myself who are looking to own their first snowblower or maybe you need a new one after so many years

Obviously, it's a work in progress but so far so good!

Will these data sheets be saved by year? So in a few years, someone is looking at a model that came out this year they can go back to these sheets to see what the specs and prices are?

Thanks again, Stuart! You rock for doing this!

Sam
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks unknown1 thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page