post #1 of 34 Old 10-14-2017, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 77
Discuss-Choosing a Snowblower

The purpose of this thread is to allow general discussions, observations and just about anything related to the Snowblower Database Spreadsheet.

The data is here: https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...heet-data.html
Please don't post on that thread - We need it to be pure data and free from bias
I don't think it's possible to put any kind of owner-lock on a thread to prevent accidental posts - If it IS then please let me know

On this thread, those rules no longer apply. This is a place to speak about the data in that spreadsheet.
There is scope for some subjectivity on this thread.

I would ask people to restrict opinions to those things that can be verified in the database wherever possible.
However I'm flexible on that and am willing to see how things go initially (if they even go at all).
I want to keep things "honest" and "rational" so if your post is about something outside the database, please link to your evidence &/or your rationale for your opinion.
That allows us to fact-check and to avoid religious wars. Make sense?

Here's an example of something I'm trying to avoid... "Those ACME machines are just a pile of guano!"
However, if you can explain what it is that makes you believe that and why..... that's good information to have.
Maybe I can then add a guano-detection column to the database.. if it can be quantified and measured.

This thread is also intended for me to get a feeling for the general interest in the database.
If there is a stunned silence then my motivation for continuing the effort will obviously wane.

If, on the other hand, I get the impression that there is value in the database and some level of enthusiasm that might keep me motivated... for a while at least.

Let's see what (if anything) develops.

Last edited by unknown1; 10-18-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 10-14-2017, 08:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 94
can a loncin 302 cc engine on the 38802 weigh more then the 38680 with a 342 cc brigs? then looking them up the 302 cc loncin is 70 pounds while the larger 342 cc brigs is only 63
post #3 of 34 Old 10-14-2017, 08:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 43
Thanks (Received): 76
Likes (Given): 307
Likes (Received): 156
Looking at your Toro data you might want to add an column telling us if the model you've listed is discontinued. Having data about models you cannot buy new is fine for those looking at used but might be frustrating for those looking at new models. HD 1028 OHXE (38802) is current as well as HD 1028 OHXE (38806). No more HD 1128 OXE unless a dealer has one left over.

2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #4 of 34 Old 10-14-2017, 09:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 94
i agree yet simply having a one spot list of specs can aid someone doing a rebuild/restoration of a discontinued model for which i know there is a older thread in here holding that info on almost every brand/model
post #5 of 34 Old 10-14-2017, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 powershift View Post
can a loncin 302 cc engine on the 38802 weigh more then the 38680 with a 342 cc brigs? then looking them up the 302 cc loncin is 70 pounds while the larger 342 cc brigs is only 63
EDIT: Just rewording your answer... they have totally different engines!!

So you either need to know that or add a column that tells you that.... I'm not wanting to go that route unless there's huge enthusiasm... in this case... I would probably take the easy option and remove the soon-to-be-obsolete model.... or maybe add a model year column to alert us to the fact that something is different.. even if it doesn't tell us what. I could see me buying into that approach.

Right now I'm watching and wondering if this is something to pursue or if I should just get a life! ;-)

Last edited by unknown1; 10-17-2017 at 08:01 PM. Reason: removed the teaser game.. that data has been deleted on that version of the spreadsheet
post #6 of 34 Old 10-14-2017, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
Looking at your Toro data you might want to add an column telling us if the model you've listed is discontinued. Having data about models you cannot buy new is fine for those looking at used but might be frustrating for those looking at new models. HD 1028 OHXE (38802) is current as well as HD 1028 OHXE (38806). No more HD 1128 OXE unless a dealer has one left over.
That would be useful... especially since the price would no longer be relevant and bang-for-buck would be a historical measurement.
You'd obviously need to factor inflation into that though. Inflation and cost-of-living over time is out there on the web somewhere.. but there's no way I could imagine going down that route. Too much effort.

BTW The reason that model is in there is because of the history of the spreadsheet. Someone recommended that model if you can find one that is left over.
Thanks for caring

EDIT: If it was possible to find sheet-metal thickness on the manufacturer's website and if I added a column for that and if I maintained historical data....
then we'd have evidence to show why a lot of us get depressed or angry. ;-) It would also tell us that ACME snowblowers are perhaps better than Snows-R-Us models (at least with respect to that metric). It could also help us understand the differences between Commercial and Residential models.....maybe.

I may have a created a Holy Grail monster that will eat me alive...I prefer the Monty Python version. ;-)

Last edited by unknown1; 10-14-2017 at 04:46 PM.
post #7 of 34 Old 10-14-2017, 12:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 17
Likes (Received): 38
Garage
Stuart....do you sleep....ever?

"It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

2018 Ariens Platinum SHO Track 28
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes unknown1 liked this post
post #8 of 34 Old 10-14-2017, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie139 View Post
Stuart....do you sleep....ever?
It's probably OCD or early-onset dementia.. or both! Let me analyze that and put it in a spreadsheet and get back to you.... probably at 4am ;-)

Last edited by unknown1; 10-14-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Paulie139 liked this post
post #9 of 34 Old 10-14-2017, 01:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 17
Likes (Received): 38
Garage
That is AWESOME!!!

"It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

2018 Ariens Platinum SHO Track 28
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks unknown1 thanked for this post
post #10 of 34 Old 10-14-2017, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
I prefer not to post on this thread to maintain an objective passive position
Every question here is rhetorical.

However, this is not too controversial and is fairly objective - may get people thinking a little if they are interested.

Did you notice that..
1) Ariens Pro machines are generally heavier than their Deluxe models - is that good or bad or neutral?
2) Ariens Pro machines are generally lower B4B compared to Deluxe - maybe there are alternative criteria for choosing Pro over Deluxe that are not reflected purely by B4B? - but what?
3) Ariens Pro machines are generally more expensive than their Deluxe models
4) Ariens Pro machines are generally better TpH compared to Deluxe

Makes sense I suppose - or does it? - Think about it.

How did the Ariens rep at the dealership explain the differences?
Was any of that validated in the spreadsheet?
Do you sometimes get confused by all the choices and info on the Vendor websites?
Can you trust my data or did I make an accidental mistake?
What could I add to the spreadsheet to help you? (That one is NOT rhetorical)

Last edited by unknown1; 10-15-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page