post #1 of 5 Old 12-22-2017, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
ArmorSkids Spacers Required?

Hi All,

I am going to be ordering a set of ArmorSkids for my Deluxe 28 SHO, as even with the Ariens poly skids it digs in to the sand/gravel of my drive and starts throwing rocks, especially going downhill when more of the weight is being transferred forward to the bucket.

According to their website, it says that I will need spacers for my model. My question is, does anyone know if I can get away with simply using washers as spacers? Is there a benefit to having the extra surface area of the metal plate? I didn't want to insult anyone by asking the retailer directly, but $15 for a set of small metal plates seems a bit steep if I can substitute 50¢ worth of washers.

Also, I noticed that I can now order them through Home Depot with free delivery to the local store to save the shipping cost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-22-2017, 11:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 175
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
I looked at their website. Their spacer is a solid piece that will provide backing and support, washers may cause the skid shoe to wobble, will something bend? Or loosen? if you use washers.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #3 of 5 Old 12-22-2017, 11:56 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 4
Garage
I have a Honda 1332ATD and opted for the armorskids. Mine unfortunately required 3 spacers on each side to be able to mount the skids properly. I reached out to Bob and he sent me an extra pair. He has great customer service and I dont mind supporting a good company like his. I can honestly say each spacer is a solid plate backing and I dont know if washer will be able to do the same. Thats just my 2 cents.

Honda HSS1332ATD (2017)
Ariens ST7524
post #4 of 5 Old 12-22-2017, 02:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 123
Thanks (Received): 117
Likes (Given): 257
Likes (Received): 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKT_33 View Post
I can honestly say each spacer is a solid plate backing and I dont know if washer will be able to do the same.

I agree. My concern is that too much pressure would be placed on too small an area and create "dimples" / indentations in the auger housing around the bolt holes.

Go left.....No, your other left!
post #5 of 5 Old 12-22-2017, 02:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 11
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariens28SHO View Post
Hi All,

I am going to be ordering a set of ArmorSkids for my Deluxe 28 SHO, as even with the Ariens poly skids it digs in to the sand/gravel of my drive and starts throwing rocks, especially going downhill when more of the weight is being transferred forward to the bucket.

According to their website, it says that I will need spacers for my model. My question is, does anyone know if I can get away with simply using washers as spacers? Is there a benefit to having the extra surface area of the metal plate? I didn't want to insult anyone by asking the retailer directly, but $15 for a set of small metal plates seems a bit steep if I can substitute 50¢ worth of washers.

Also, I noticed that I can now order them through Home Depot with free delivery to the local store to save the shipping cost
"Anyone" is Bob Sayre in Downers Grove, IL. You won't insult him with a question that's surely been asked by other's looking to save $14.50, like you. He fabricates superb products.

It's really a matter of three issues: 1) Even distribution of the clamping forces (applied by the bolts) from the skids, to the bucket sides, over the maximum surface area possible; 2) Even distribution of lateral forces (i.e. side to side) from the skids to the bucket sides, while changing direction. 3) Providing clearance between the skid bolting plates and any extrusions stamped into the bucket sides (for stiffening).

Sure, simply bolt the ArmorSkids on with 50 cents worth of washers. You'll "get away" with it - for a while. When your bucket sides distort or crack due to repeated, concentrated stress, or you break a weld , I'll bet Ariens will send you a whole new bucket, for free. That's assuming your blower's still under warranty. Be sure to get the cheapest carbon steel washers you can find - they'll corrode way faster than over-priced galvanized or SS ones.

Fifteen dollars is donut money compared to what you spent on the Ariens. You probably could've saved some real cash buying an MTD or a Cubbie.

The pic is of my Ariens Classic 24 with Bob's ProSkids + three of his spacers per side. The spacers are inverted to maximize surface contact, since the skids are set for highest scraper clearance. I use this little blower (Ariens' cheapest!!) to clear a part dirt/part crushed stone fenced area behind my house. True, the skids look like water ski's bolted to a toy box, but they work.

BTW, if you're installing spacers, you'll need longer carriage bolts to get full thread engagement when you screw the nuts on. Sorry for running up your potential costs. What you see in the pic is all SS bolts, nuts, washers and lock washers. These materials set me back around $7.50 at the local HW store - for both sides. Big bucks, I know. When ya buy quality, you only cry once.

Even with ArmorSkids set for max scraper clearance, from time to time you'll blow a chunk. Get some extra Ariens shear pins at HD:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ariens-D...0500/202274701

You could replace a broken pin with a nice, hard carbon steel bolt for maybe $0.33, but please don't do it - gear cases are big bucks, unless your under warranty.

Merry Christmas!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0940.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	119881  

Jim in NH
'14 Ariens Pro 28 926038
'18 Ariens Classic 24 920025

Last edited by jburson250; 12-22-2017 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Punctuation error.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page