LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 70 Old 12-25-2017, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
What's the point of fuel injection

On a small engine, what's really the point of fuel injection?

These engines run within a very specific RPM range, and are tailored via cam to that condition.

Fuel injection requires a whole bunch of electronics, like a TPS, Temp Sensor, O2, tach. Why interject that complexity on an engine that runs as it runs. Plus, it requires power to start.

IDK, not sure if I like this so called "advancement" . Carbs are so much simpler, and easy to maintain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 12-25-2017, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 334
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsup View Post
Carbs are so much simpler, and easy to maintain.
It's that last part thats debatable!
Most of the time, for most users, carbs are not simple, and they are not easy to maintain.

When was the last time you heard someone say "I wish my car didnt have EFI, carbs on a car were so much simpler and easy to maintain." And when was the last time you had any problem with your cars ignition?

I remember my Dad under the hood of the family car, about 1975, swearing at the carb on his '65 Ford. But im almost 50, been driving 30 years, and I have never once, ever in my life, had any problem with the ignition on any vehicle I have ever owned.

The time has come, some would say its way past due, to put the same technology on small engines.

I have owned my 1971 Ariens for almost 10 years now..the *only* trouble it has ever given me has been..the carb.

Probably 90% of the reason snowblowers and mowers go to the shop, or get put to the curb..the carb.

EFI on snowblowers will likely be a major step forward, and create far more reliable machines. As long as it works reliably, and there is currently no reason to suspect it wont.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt, detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #3 of 70 Old 12-25-2017, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
It's that last part thats debatable!
Most of the time, for most users, carbs are not simple, and they are not easy to maintain.
Neither is fuel injection when you leave gas in an engine. Most carb failures are for poor maintenance. If you maintain fuel injection the same way, you'll have the same problem.

Quote:
When was the last time you heard someone say "I wish my car didnt have EFI, carbs on a car were so much simpler and easy to maintain." And when was the last time you had any problem with your cars ignition?
Cars, small engines are apples and oranges. The complexity of a car is totally different than that of a small engine. The reason is cars need to perform under a host of different conditions, stop and go, acceleration, etc. Cars also have to get fuel economy. Both are conditions that don't exist for small engines.

In addition, a car requires a battery to start, when you turn the key, an electric fuel pump brings the fuel pressure to 43.5 lbs (3bar) a carb is gravity fed.

Also, where does the power come from to prime the system and start the injection? You have to depend on a pull, battery, or electric start. None of which are good choices.

Quote:
I remember my Dad under the hood of the family car, about 1975, swearing at the carb on his '65 Ford. But im almost 50, been driving 30 years, and I have never once, ever in my life, had any problem with the ignition on any vehicle I have ever owned.
Fuel injection and ignition are not related. Small engines already have electronic ignition. Two different systems.

Quote:
The time has come, some would say its way past due, to put the same technology on small engines.

I have owned my 1971 Ariens for almost 10 years now..the *only* trouble it has ever given me has been..the carb.

Probably 90% of the reason snowblowers and mowers go to the shop, or get put to the curb..the carb.

EFI on snowblowers will likely be a major step forward, and create far more reliable machines. As long as it works reliably, and there is currently no reason to suspect it wont.

Scot
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Maintenance costs are going to go up, and over time bad maintenance habits will result in more costly and just as frequent repairs. Injectors go bad too.
post #4 of 70 Old 12-25-2017, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
meh..
just because you can, doesn't mean you shouldn't either.

Quote:

Maintenance costs are going to go up, and over time bad maintenance habits will result in more costly and just as frequent repairs.
Will it though? im not convinced that is true at all..
I used the car analogy because I have never, ever, in 30 years, have had any thing ever go wrong with EFI on a car I have owned..and I have never heard of anyone else ever having it either..my cars have never had the EFI break or need service, ever..its never been needed. I have a 1999 Chevy S10, 150k miles, almost 20 years old. EFI has never needed any attention.
2009 Ford Focus, also 150K miles, almost 10 years old, EFI has never needed any attention.

Im sure it happens with cars..but it must be exceedingly rare, I have never personally heard of it happening.
But im willing to bet the rate of carb vs. EFI problems are 99 to 1.
for snowblowers, IMO there is really no way it cant be waaaaaaaaay better than carbs..
carbs are horrible.. its time for them for them to go.

Scot

Last edited by sscotsman; 12-25-2017 at 10:53 AM.
post #5 of 70 Old 12-25-2017, 11:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
I think this is a reason why many OPE dealers are not so willing to embrace EFI snowblowers. These machines generally sit for long periods of time and therefore carb issues are a bread and butter service item for them.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 43128 liked this post
post #6 of 70 Old 12-25-2017, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Also, where does the power come from to prime the system and start the injection? You have to depend on a pull, battery, or electric start. None of which are good choices.
None of those are good choices?
All of those are *excellent* choices!
And if none of those are good choices, then what is the alternative? solar power? coal? I dont understand how a battery or electric start *cant* be a perfect solution..again, its how cars have been doing it flawlessly for 40 years..

Scot

Last edited by sscotsman; 12-25-2017 at 12:07 PM.
post #7 of 70 Old 12-25-2017, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo111 View Post
I think this is a reason why many OPE dealers are not so willing to embrace EFI snowblowers. These machines generally sit for long periods of time and therefore carb issues are a bread and butter service item for them.
yeah, thats probably true..for the short term.
But in 20 years dealers probably wont be fixing carbs at all..because they wont exist anymore.

Only us hobbiests using 40 year old snowblowers (60 years old by then) will still be using them.
and we wont need to bring them to the dealer..

and we arent talking about us weird old-school hobbiests in this thread..those of us that dont mind, and even understand carbs..we are an anomaly, very uncommon...dinosaurs even. 97% of snowblower owners dont care about carbs, or EFI..they just want it to work, and they dont care how. EFI is for them, not us.

I see it as inevitable..you cant fight progress.
No one still debates if carbs are better than EFI on cars..they probably did in 1975, but no longer..
It will be the same with snowblowers and mowers in 20 years IMO..when we will all also be riding in our self-driving electric cars.
(which many people also try to deny is coming..but its already here..)

(and whats funny, is that I have taken the "Pro-EFI" side in this debate..and I will never even own one!
My two 1971 Ariens will likely last me for life..)

Scot

Last edited by sscotsman; 12-25-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes aldfam4 liked this post
post #8 of 70 Old 12-25-2017, 11:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 8
My experience with motorcycles, two types of bikers, those who wrench, those who do not. The guys who wrench break down in 2 camps, carb lovers, EFI lovers. Motorcycles that are most reliable IMHO are equipped with EFI.

I prefer a carbed bike and have to tolerate the drama of that system. For a bike, it is more of an old-school organic mindset. I like tinkering with it, and the drama as per the bike backfiring when starting is fun. The sound of a heavy lope of a v twin at idle is music to my ears. the EFI equiped bikes fuel delivery is precise. Thus carbed bikes with high lift cams win in the great sound of a big displacement v twin thumping aggressively at idle. Then again, I do not snow blow with my bike.

If EFI works as good for bikes and cars, I will embrace that technology towards snowblowers. But will have an old school blower or several for sentimental reasons. If EFI is that and a bag of chips, my next new snowblower will have it.

That being said, I think my blowers will out live me.

EFI makes sense to me to lessen drama. If it makes a small engine more efficient and reliable that is progress. If carbed snowblowers are cheaper, they will be around forever as the general public for the most part buy on price not quality. Unlike us on this forum who prefer quality.

Honda 9/28 to be modded with GX 390
Yamaha 8/28 Track
1969 MTD 5/20 to be Hot Rodded
post #9 of 70 Old 12-25-2017, 11:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 180
Garage
Other then the gov acting so quick like its not there i woudnt want efi
10 min to fix a carb if its cooked
post #10 of 70 Old 12-25-2017, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
meh..
just because you can, doesn't mean you shouldn't either.

Will it though? im not convinced that is true at all..
It is 100% true. I had a hobby business of doing custom fuel injectors for modified cars, Polaris RZRs, ATVs, etc.... It is 100% true that an injector will gum up if left to sit and not maintained correctly. They won't flow correctly causing problems. You can see it clearly on a flow bench. In car where you have multiple injectors, if one gums up, it's far less noticeable than when your only injector goes to crap.

Quote:
I used the car analogy because I have never, ever, in 30 years, have had any thing ever go wrong with EFI on a car I have owned..and I have never heard of anyone else ever having it either..my cars have never had the EFI break or need service, ever..its never been needed. I have a 1999 Chevy S10, 150k miles, almost 20 years old. EFI has never needed any attention.
2009 Ford Focus, also 150K miles, almost 10 years old, EFI has never needed any attention.
I'm not talking about reliability. FI is defiantly more reliable, in a car. And there's a lot of reasons for longevity, FI being a contributing factor, not the only factor. Better materials, better design, CAD, CAM, etc.

Quote:
Im sure it happens with cars..but it must be exceedingly rare, I have never personally heard of it happening.
But im willing to bet the rate of carb vs. EFI problems are 99 to 1.
for snowblowers, IMO there is really no way it cant be waaaaaaaaay better than carbs..
carbs are horrible.. its time for them for them to go.

Scot
FI is a much better solution, for cars. What we are talking about is an engine that runs at a pre defined RMP range that is very narrow, and doesn't have the complex requirements of a car. ALSO, you start and run cars more frequently, no so with small engines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in