post #1 of 30 Old 12-27-2017, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Need help deciding

Hello all,

Just joined this forum today since Iím in need of figuring out what to buy for my first snowblower. Iíve researched a lot to a point of information overload. Iím at a point where I need to listen to those who own the various brands out there and their experiences with their machines new and over the course of time. Currently Iíve narrowed it down to 3 machines:

Husqvarna st327p - would be a tight fit in the garage but doable. I figure it is more powerful than the st324p?
Husqvarna st324p - better in size but will it have enough power to easily throw wet snow and handle the snowplow pile?
Ariens platinum 24 sho - seems like itís more than capable for any condition but the auto turn is a very big concern. I know if I ever had to really fight the machine I would be pretty upset.

Each one has their pros/cons/concerns etc

- Iíve read that Husqvarna are more prone to need repair but is that for the 200 series or 300 series? Iíve heard the 300 series are very well built so where does the quality idea come into play? How does the 300 series quality compare to ariens platinum 24 sho? I also love the idea of a hydrostatic system vs friction as well as a machine that doesnít have auto turn.

- Ariens is very well built but I keep hearing the problems of the auto turn. I have a flat area to snowblow but I know I would be frustrated to no end if I had to fight the machine to stay in a straight line.

I have considered a Honda and really splurge but have read about clogging issues and underpowered engines. For something that costs as much as it does clogging issues are unacceptable when other brands donít have these problems with the same snow.

What Iím looking for:

- something to easily handle wet snow and the plow pile snow at the end of the driveway.
- Iím ok with overkill for a snowblower since I want to future proof myself hence the models listed above but I want it to last over the course of time with proper maintenance but not be in the shop all the time.

my driveway is 3 cars wide and 2 cars deep including sidewalk so not that big but decent. Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated by Husqvarna fans and ariens fans. If the quality is there in the 300 series I lean towards the st327p the most/currently.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 12-27-2017, 04:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 217
IMHO best bang for the buck is Ariens. The "King of Snow". Over 3 million snow blowers produced since 1960. The #1 selling brand of two-stage snow blowers in the world. Machines that are passed down from one generation to the next. No, it's not just a snow blower. It's an Ariens.

Last edited by russ01915; 12-27-2017 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Gif not working
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes aldfam4 liked this post
post #3 of 30 Old 12-27-2017, 04:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 355
Likes (Received): 162
The 300 series Husqvarna are very robust machines. How about Simplicity? The Simplicity P1728E Signature Pro 28" has a 420cc Briggs that will do the job and then some. Have you looked at Toro? The Power Maxģ HD 1028 OHXE (38802) is one stout fellow also.

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #4 of 30 Old 12-27-2017, 04:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Pretty sure that it has been researched on the forum that the Husqvarna and Honda, (HSS series) hydro units are the same.

post #5 of 30 Old 12-27-2017, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
The 300 series Husqvarna are very robust machines. How about Simplicity? The Simplicity P1728E Signature Pro 28" has a 420cc Briggs that will do the job and then some. Have you looked at Toro? The Power Maxģ HD 1028 OHXE (38802) is one stout fellow also.
Do you feel any 300 series is equal to the quality level of the ariens? I would much rather have the trigger for turning left or right than the auto-turn as well as the hydro system. Overall, I just want a machine that will last me 15-25 years.
post #6 of 30 Old 12-27-2017, 07:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
If you truly want a hydro then the Ariens Platinum Sho 24" is out. For me the Honda's and Arien's hydros are not worth the extra $$. But that's me. Other guys on the forum would not have anything but a hydro.

post #7 of 30 Old 12-27-2017, 08:03 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
not really. husqsvarna has become the mtd of sweden more or less
post #8 of 30 Old 12-27-2017, 08:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
Have you looked at Toro's? They have trigger steering and are made very well. They are the only blowers offered that don't need sheer pins and have the best shoot controls. Ya they run smaller engines but for some reason they don't seem to need more hp. I wish they still made the 926oxe as I love mine.

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
post #9 of 30 Old 12-27-2017, 09:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
I don't think you would go wrong with your choices. However I too would be concerned about the ST324 possibly being underpowered. The 300 series Huskies are more substantial than the 200 series but still not as heavy duty as an Ariens Deluxe or higher model. As you probably know the axle position on Ariens machines was repositioned last year to help avoid issues with Auto-Turn. Unless your driveway has a lot of ruts or is in rough condition I wouldn't worry about Auto-Turn issues. Ariens poly skids or Armorskids remedied most issues with Auto-Turn prior to last year's modifications. The Husky 300 series units use Hydro Gear transmissions which are supposed to be a good unit if you want the Hydro with the trigger steering. I would imagine that there are different grades of Hydro Gear transmissions. Ariens also uses this brand for their hydro models. Best of luck on your search, if you want to watch a walkaround vid on the Platinum 24 SHO, I did one and it is attached under my signature. Best of luck on your search and keep us posted.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 30 Old 12-27-2017, 09:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
I did a lot of research and bought a Simplicity. My motivation was the dealer who was local has done work for me in the past, and is an honest guy. My next choice would have been the Ariens. Also, parts availability for Simplicity, as far as I can see, is pretty consistent, and cheap. I got the Signature Series 24 inch. It's a nice machine, it has all the goodies, hand warmers, electric chute controls, up and down, left and right, a headlight, and a 3 yr warrantee. Cost was $1800 plus tax.

I ruled out Husqvarna because I've heard multiple stories of getting parts for machines that weren't really that old. They discontinue parts and the machine becomes scrap metal without them. One example, a customer had to buy a $50 part for $200 from a guy in TX who routinely buys out obsoleted parts. I don't blame the guy in TX, when he's the only one in the country that has a part, however, parts should be available forever if today's availability is any indication. AND it's built like a tank, and easy to move around.

Around here there wasn't an Ariens dealer other than Home Despot, I wanted to deal with a private shop where the owner is present.

Honda, is VERY proud of their stuff, and tend to price higher, in my opinion and only my opinion, priced higher than the competitors for no real good reason.

I didn't look at Troy Built.

That was my reasoning, I hope it helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page