LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 12-28-2017, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Snowblower modifications

So Iím hunting around Helena Mt for a broken snowblower just so I can try some of my ideas. I am curious about changing the impeller or adding additional impeller to increase top speed and volume. Like a two stage pump.
My other idea is replace the auger with heavy bristles like off a power broom. It would be tricky to have enough scarifying effect but not too much to damage driveways. The end goal would be breaking up the packed ice on driveways that typically stops a blower.
People talk about pulley swaps but what about a small snowmobile clutch. Yes it would be hard to fit in the housing and a pita to get the weights right. But that gives optimum rpm for the fan based on the load. The more snow in the bucket the lower the rpms are, that would allow a higher pulley ratio as the clutch closes and gives more torque.
Guess I have a lot of free time and maybe someone out there has tried some mods and not posted about them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-28-2017, 06:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1642
Likes (Received): 579
I think the brushes might pull too much snow into the housing for the impeller to handle regardless to how many blades the impeller has

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #3 of 17 Old 12-28-2017, 07:14 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 68
The determining factor of snow input to the bucket is width and ground speed. Augers channel snow inwards to impeller so conventional brushes rotating on an axis could not easily do that. Brushes have their place in snow removal already.

post #4 of 17 Old 12-28-2017, 07:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1642
Likes (Received): 579
back in the very early '70's we had a snow removal service with brooms like that mounted on jeeps. would you do away with the chute if you mounted a broom

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #5 of 17 Old 12-28-2017, 08:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbjornstad View Post
So Iím hunting around Helena Mt for a broken snowblower just so I can try some of my ideas. I am curious about changing the impeller or adding additional impeller to increase top speed and volume. Like a two stage pump.
My other idea is replace the auger with heavy bristles like off a power broom. It would be tricky to have enough scarifying effect but not too much to damage driveways. The end goal would be breaking up the packed ice on driveways that typically stops a blower.
People talk about pulley swaps but what about a small snowmobile clutch. Yes it would be hard to fit in the housing and a pita to get the weights right. But that gives optimum rpm for the fan based on the load. The more snow in the bucket the lower the rpms are, that would allow a higher pulley ratio as the clutch closes and gives more torque.
Guess I have a lot of free time and maybe someone out there has tried some mods and not posted about them.
Simplicity does what amounts to a CVT transmission on the impeller for exactly the reason you cite, keep the machine in the power band.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-28-2017, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
So another dumb question. So everyone says that the impeller rubber trick is gods gift to snowblowers. A snowblower is limited in forward movement by the snow loading inside the bucket and how fast it is moved and expelled by the impeller/fan. Most fans I have looked at are at 90 degrees. Most industrial fans for moving any slurry looks like a boat prop with 4-5 blades. Would having a canted blade angle increase the feed rate? Would introducing more air flow from the chute and reating a stronger low pressure in the bucket cause more material to move?

Thanks guys I just been lurking in the shadows reading for a long time thinking up questions lol
post #7 of 17 Old 12-28-2017, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The broom bristles would be mounted to the auger not an actual broom core replacing the auger. That way the bristles sweep the ground and scarify but would be clearenced inside the bucket. That would prevent overloading. Not that I have ever wire brushed ice but I imagine poly wires scratching at ice would have an effect without damaging the concrete surface. Being mounted to the auger keeps it simple and doesnít need an additional rotating assembly.
post #8 of 17 Old 12-28-2017, 10:24 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbjornstad View Post
So another dumb question. So everyone says that the impeller rubber trick is gods gift to snowblowers. A snowblower is limited in forward movement by the snow loading inside the bucket and how fast it is moved and expelled by the impeller/fan. Most fans I have looked at are at 90 degrees. Most industrial fans for moving any slurry looks like a boat prop with 4-5 blades. Would having a canted blade angle increase the feed rate? Would introducing more air flow from the chute and reating a stronger low pressure in the bucket cause more material to move? Thanks guys I just been lurking in the shadows reading for a long time thinking up questions lol
I would not call snow a slurry, more static material. Introducing air to the discharge is a worthwhile endeavor but where does additional air come from another system like a screw driven blower which requires hp? Is this a race as to how far one can throw snow? Most snow removal machines operate within neighborhood confines and I for one don't want my neighbor blowing his snow into my property. In April the only snow left in the neighborhood is on my property, I don't think so.

Last edited by DriverRider; 12-28-2017 at 10:28 PM.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-28-2017, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I just daydream about building a better mousetrap. A 2 stage snowblower is pretty much un evolved since itís introduction. The horse was the best thing until the car.

Although amazing to watch how many people need to throw snow 50í? But the faster I move the material the less time I spend in the cold. If you're a contractor you spend less time because the machine does the job more efficiently = more money. I think the fan is the slowest part of the process. Iím just trying to figure a way to improve it. The chute can be aimed down 😉
post #10 of 17 Old 12-28-2017, 11:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 158
If you want to see the business end of a single stage snow clearer type Beilhack in the advanced search box and look for the picture of the Conrail Beilhack snow clearer in a night shot near Utica with a twin snow clearing disc system using a centrally mounted hydraulic chute and spout

The problem is torque, the lack of it and what the consumer is willing to spend OR NOT SPEND. If you want to see a good snow blower I have pictures of the Zaugg bulldog on the forum and Zaugg also has videos of the snow beast as well working with the bulldog.

Last edited by leonz; 12-29-2017 at 10:22 AM. Reason: stuff/spelling and punctuation corrections
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page