post #1 of 18 Old 01-01-2018, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 4
Busting berms from snowplows

Hi Guys -

I'm in Billings, Mt and we just got 15" of snow dumped on us, and very cold.

I just bought my first two-stage snowbloer this Summer, a Toro Powermax 6000, and it's an awesome machine.

My big brother bought a brand new Cub cadet at Depot, and it throws snow no better than my decade-old Toro.

My blower has power to spare, but how do you keep them from wanting to climb up the side of berms instead of digging into them?

On drifted, or fallen snow it has no problem, but those packed berms are work to get through, but it does do it if I do my part.

I was thinking about maybe 20-30 pounds of weight on the front - anybody ever tried it?

Or better suggestions maybe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-01-2018, 06:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
Hmm must be an auto turn issue.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-01-2018, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
This older snowblower doesn't have any auto-turn, and it's a little better if I take a pass on a berm in parallel to it and 'square up' the edge, and granny low gear helps too, but it'd be nice if I could keep it's nose down more!
post #4 of 18 Old 01-01-2018, 06:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
I have a 24" Ariens, when I bought it, it had a 20-lb (I think) bar bolted to the front of the bucket. It was a counterweight for the Ariens cab that the previous owner was using. I sold the cab, but kept the weight on the front. It's helped keep the nose down somewhat while climbing my driveway's incline.

Last year I added another 5 lbs to the front, and liked the improvement. So yes, I'd definitely try adding some weight to the front of the bucket, and see if it helps.

I think people have said that the tracked machines do well at not simply climbing up snowbanks, and instead driving into them. But I don't have tracks, and that's not really the sort of thing you can just retrofit.

You could also try maybe kind of breaking up the snow with a metal shovel or something, just to help loosen it. Not move it yourself, just to break up some of the chunks. Other than that, use a slow forward speed, and hope it can chew the stuff up.

I think some of the older (60's?) machines had augers that stuck out beyond the bucket. It seems to me like that design would be better for chewing through snowbanks, as the augers would be the first thing to contact it (not the bucket). But I suspect that safety concerns, and damaging fences, etc, is probably why that's no longer done.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800

Last edited by RedOctobyr; 01-01-2018 at 06:58 PM.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-01-2018, 06:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 571
If you haven't tried a Powershift Toro.......you might want to.....for the EOD piles.....they are magic.....right Todd?
post #6 of 18 Old 01-01-2018, 06:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 175
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
During the winter I use a number of different snowblowers as I fix, recondition, and sell them. I like to try everyone out before I sell them and during a snow I may use 5.

For this year I decided to build a wooden box to hold a 20 lb lead brick that lies on top of the auger housing. It's held on by a bungee cord that goes through slots in the box so it's easily moved from blower to blower. We haven't had sufficient snow yet for me to try it out.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #7 of 18 Old 01-01-2018, 07:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 27
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 33
Likes (Received): 38
I've experienced the same phenomenon with both the Toros and MTD I've owned. However, it is usually only when making the initial pass through the berm. I just have a metal shovel handy to break it up a bit and then move it out of the way. Afterwards, I usually only take about 25 -50% of the bucket width and go slow. That and a good set of drift cutters does the trick. HTH.

2015 Ariens Deluxe 28
Previous Machines:
1995 Yard-White-Bilt 8/26 Frankenblower
1980 Toro 826
1981 Toro 3521
post #8 of 18 Old 01-01-2018, 07:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 269
Likes (Given): 371
Likes (Received): 912
Some helpful hints. Get them as quickly as possible so they don't have time to freeze. S!owed speed. Half a cut or less to begin. Add weight if you feel it will help. Anything will work.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #9 of 18 Old 01-01-2018, 07:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 148
idk why they dont design the augers too spin in the other direction, it would help in keeping the bucket down using the downforce the augers would give, as theyre deigned now they will naturally climb up a hardened snow bank

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by vinnycom; 01-01-2018 at 07:35 PM.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-01-2018, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Good suggestions guys!

I won't be as lazy next time, and I'll chop them with a shovel a little.

As far as getting them right away, that is good advice too I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page