LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-03-2018, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 54
WET SNOW : Single Stages

I live literally 1/2 away from the water.
The snow I 90% of the time is wet.

SB in hand is 2 stager Husq. 3XX series as well as a HS621.

Prior, I had a HS724 as well as two 621 in my stash.

I like the Single Stage for the mere reason it's nimble, fast, cleans down to the pavement.
My issue though is how the single stage processes the snow for me, for the most part. MORE often than not, unless I take smaller bits, it just constantly clogs in the damm chute and I spend X amount of time unclogging the wet mass.

I've eyeballed the newer toros (721) figure technology has figured out a modern chute design that helps with this ?

Anyhow for those with WET snow, how do ya'll fare with your single stages.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-03-2018, 10:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 39
Likes (Received): 123
Hi MobileD'

Here in So. New England, more often than not, when we have a storm, it is heavy wet snow. That's because many of our storms go through periods of rain or rain and snow mixed.

I use a Toro single stage that I only bring out for light snowfalls for the same reasons you described. But when the snow is really heavy and wet, you do have to take it in smaller bites.

If you think about it, trying to push it too fast through the heavy snow will gradually slow the paddles down because the extra weight provides extra resistance against the engine's torque. (Kind of like pushing hard down on a chainsaw to get it to "cut faster", when you are really overloading the engine). Remember too, in a single stage, the auger and impeller are one in the same. If you slowed down the impeller in a two stage, it too would not be able to eject the heavy snow completely, and you'd get a clogged chute. Machines that are worn out and operating at minimal compression will also have this problem which will start to be most noticeable with the heavy stuff, but eventually start to bog down with any load.

Of course, the single stages with more horsepower would be less susceptible to this. A single stage can be as little as 3 or 3 1/2 hp, which is a machine that you can't expect to do a lot of heavy lifting. Obviously one rated for 7hp is going to be able to deal with the heavy stuff better. My little Toro 2450 is a 5hp R-Tek Briggs engine, and it really only has a little trouble in the soupiest of stuff.

You might also want to check the auger (paddles) drive belt. If it's worn out or stretched, obviously the extra resistance of the heavy wet stuff will make it slip, reducing its ability to throw also. Generally though, this becomes pretty obvious as they will often make a screeching noise as soon as you place them under load that can be loud enough to frighten the neighbors.

Last edited by SayItAintSnow; 01-03-2018 at 10:26 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-03-2018, 10:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 26
I use a toro 2450, for the light and slushee stuff. Love the thing, never have issues with I clogging. I have literally used it to throw almost complete water.

Ariens Pro Hydro 28 Rapidtrak
Toro 2450
Toro 3650
Toro powerclear 1800
post #4 of 6 Old 01-04-2018, 01:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 15
I've used a Toro 3000 for years in this kind of snow and I have never had clogging problems only problems with the packed in EOD pile....

1998 Toro 3000 GTS with Suzuki 47p 2 cycle
post #5 of 6 Old 01-04-2018, 04:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1642
Likes (Received): 579
i've never clogged up any of my single stage toro's but after our last snowfall on Christmas eve I used the '86 toro 521 ( it has an impeller kit ) to move the bulk of the snow. wanting to get down to pavement I went out a day later with the 2450E

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #6 of 6 Old 01-04-2018, 07:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 34
Likes (Received): 111
i have had pretty much all toro single stages come in and out from old toro ccr2000's to newer 621/721 single stages and have never had a clog. I also have had hs521-621's without a problem.

one thing to look at is the paddles if they are worn down even if you think its not that bad i would check how much space is between the paddle and the back of the blower housing when spinning it needs to be flush with that or just touching.

this 3650 i have now had worn paddles and i tried it in some wet snow and it would hardly throw it out of the chute and clogged up until i put new paddles on

new paddles and these toros and even the hondas will NEVER clog

Toro snow commander 7hp RTEK ...honda HS720 GC190 OHC
Toro ccr3650 6.5hp RTEK ....Ariens sno-tek 26" 208cc LCT
Ariens st824 924082 HMSK 80 ....Ariens path pro 136cc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page