LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-04-2018, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 2
Engine trouble

I have a Noma 10/27 snowblower with a Tecumseh motor. I have used it 3 times this winter and had no problems until tonight. It started up all right but when I put it in reverse to move it I heard a big clunk sound and then the engine quit. When I pull the engine over it turns over very easy by hand. Took the spark plug out and doesn't feel like any compression. I see the valve inside moving up and down and my spark plug firing. I used electric starter and it sounds like it wants to go but just won't. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-04-2018, 09:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
no good news unfortunately...you probably broke the connecting rod. It usually happens from low oil &/or over-revving (> 3600RPM).

you can use a pencil or thin screwdriver to test whether or not the piston is moving up/down when you rotate the crank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #3 of 8 Old 01-04-2018, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
no good news unfortunately...you probably broke the connecting rod. It usually happens from low oil &/or over-revving (> 3600RPM).

you can use a pencil or thin screwdriver to test whether or not the piston is moving up/down when you rotate the crank.
Yup that's the problem. The piston is not moving. Is it worth putting another connecting rod in it?
post #4 of 8 Old 01-04-2018, 09:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
If you have the model # of the engine, that might help people. At least for figuring out what the connecting rod costs, etc.

Also, that would likely show whether the engine has 2 output shafts, or 1. Some Tecumsehs had the main crankshaft, and also a secondary output from the camshaft, which sometimes drove the transmission. But replacement engines with 2 output shafts are rare, while there are lots more options if you only need a crankshaft output. If you need 2 outputs, that might be a nudge towards trying to repair this engine.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #5 of 8 Old 01-04-2018, 09:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt View Post
Yup that's the problem. The piston is not moving. Is it worth putting another connecting rod in it?
It really depends on the extent of the damage.

I throw in the towel (repower time) when the main or cam bearing gets cracked (see the link in my signature for "free orange"). your block might be cracked behind the starter but that's usually fixable (see the link in my signature for "free red").

Is that a dual output shaft engine?

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #6 of 8 Old 01-04-2018, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
If you have the model # of the engine, that might help people. At least for figuring out what the connecting rod costs, etc.

Also, that would likely show whether the engine has 2 output shafts, or 1. Some Tecumsehs had the main crankshaft, and also a secondary output from the camshaft, which sometimes drove the transmission. But replacement engines with 2 output shafts are rare, while there are lots more options if you only need a crankshaft output. If you need 2 outputs, that might be a nudge towards trying to repair this engine.

MODEL SERIAL
Noma Signature 200152
CN 1027DE 2265

HMSK100 159212S SER 2252D
post #7 of 8 Old 01-04-2018, 10:07 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302

Last edited by jtclays; 03-13-2018 at 04:14 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-04-2018, 10:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 107
Likes (Received): 250
You should look and see if it's a double pulley or not and what is your location. Someone may have what you need. I actually have a 10hp duel pulley on the shelf but shipping would be crazy, Also if you find a single pulley engine, You CAN swap the front of the case and convert it to the duel shaft. If your close maybe we can work something out

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page