LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-05-2018, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 31
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 67
Likes (Received): 15
Do any of you install a FUEL filter?

Was wondering if many of you install a filter in the fuel line.... On the more modern units?
I peeked in the tank today and saw a fair amount of fine debris.
I realize the older units would benefit from a filter which dont have the screen under the gas cap area
like the more modern units.
I do it on my bikes and lawn mowers.
so perhaps I may consider doing it when the opp comes around?
PS do any of you ever flush the gas tank?

Ariens Deluxe28+ AX414cc
Ariens ST824
Ariens 1970
Toro 724
Honda HS521
Cub cadet SS
Snowbird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-05-2018, 04:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 190
Garage
No . . . but I am thinking that I should. I am not sure what filtering gets done at the tank fitting or just before the carb bowl. When I looked at the fuel line on my Briggs 305cc it did not seem to have any in-line filter.

I would imagine that a filter would help avoid fuel issues. . . all of my boat engines have filters between the gas fitting and the carb bowl.

Regards, Ted
Current & Past Fleet:
2017 Husqvarna ST224 (SOLD)
2014 Troy-Bilt 2410 w/ Briggs & Stratton 305cc Engine
2003 Ariens ST824LE (SOLD)
1999 Toro PowerShift 824 w/ 318cc OHV Tecumseh Engine
1988 Toro 521 w/ 212cc Predator Engine
1985 Toro 3521 w/ 179cc Powermore Engine (SOLD)
post #3 of 18 Old 01-05-2018, 04:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 148
these are gravity fed fuel systems, if using one make sure filter has a high flow rate or u might starve the motor. imo, waste of time, effort, and more troubleshooting if having carb issues. and wont stop ethanol or water issues.
u can try to filter it b4 putting it in by using a coffee filter

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by vinnycom; 01-05-2018 at 04:59 AM.
post #4 of 18 Old 01-05-2018, 05:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 30
I don't see adding one as a waste of time. In fact, if you buy a quality clear filter, it can actually become a diagnostic tool. Being able to see what is coming out of the tank or even if something is coming out of the tank can be a benefit. But you are absolutely correct that adding a filter that won't gravity feed reliably is a problem.

There's just one thing I'll guarantee , the best things in life, they sure AIN'T FREE !!

88 Craftsman II Trac-Plus 10/32 [wheeled conversion]
71 Ariens SnoThro 6/24 [Predator 6.5 repower]
72 Ariens SnoThro 6/24 with original Tecumseh H60
7? Ariens Tractor with rotary mower attachment [Tecumseh HSK100 repower]
post #5 of 18 Old 01-05-2018, 05:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
If there's no filter at all, I would definitely install one. My current machine has a screen at the outlet from the gas tank, so I didn't add another filter.

Like vinnycom said, make sure you get a filter that is meant for gravity-fed carbs, not machines with fuel pumps. The gravity-fed-system filters use a looser mesh, so they let tiny things through, but they avoid creating too much of a flow restriction, which would starve the engine for fuel.

This Briggs filter is suitable for gravity-fed machines like blowers, part number 5018K:

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #6 of 18 Old 01-05-2018, 06:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 148
for motors in a dusty environment, yes.
for snowblowers, meh. make sure gas can and tank are clean(ish).
afaik, especially for the older snowblowers, manufactures for decades havent used them.
the biggest problem is people letting gas stay in their machines for long periods of time...and ethanol, now they got to remember to change fuel filter.
i find it odd that theres no air filter, but i understand why not.
imo, ymmv

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

Last edited by vinnycom; 01-05-2018 at 06:10 AM.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-05-2018, 06:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 30
This funnel will also separate water .http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Funnel-AF3C...ds=fuel+funnel
post #8 of 18 Old 01-05-2018, 07:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 8
Gravity style filters are a very good and inexpensive insurance policy. I added a filler inlet screen and will add an inline filter too. Some machines like CC HD series are being built with metal fuel tanks. Unless you coat/seal them, they will most likely rust or corrode over time and you will have big reliability issues. Of course this will happen during a major storm. Better safe...
post #9 of 18 Old 01-05-2018, 07:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 86
Those little cheap red round ones, like what Briggs sells (previous photo), has the small screening, enough to let fuel flow in, yet keep debris out ...
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Cold1 liked this post
post #10 of 18 Old 01-05-2018, 07:16 AM
JnC

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 58
Thanks (Received): 128
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnycom View Post
these are gravity fed fuel systems, if using one make sure filter has a high flow rate or u might starve the motor. imo, waste of time, effort, and more troubleshooting if having carb issues. and wont stop ethanol or water issues.
u can try to filter it b4 putting it in by using a coffee filter

I can attest to this notion due to first hand experience. My 89 Yamaha ys624 came with e sediment tube under the fuel petcock, unfortunately it was missing when I got the machine as the original owner broke it and had a shop replace it with just a fuel line. I installed a 90 degree fuel shut off valve and installed a fuel filter as well, after a few uses it was evident that there was fuel starvation as the machine would die after a few minutes of use, at first I thought it was a fuel vent problem but that was not the case, replaced the fuel filter with a straight fuel line and issue was resolved.

The YS828 that I have does have a filter though as that unit comes with a standard fuel pump and is not gravity fed.

picture of the YS624 with the filter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page