Need help deciding on a snow blower for large driveway - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 01-06-2018, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Need help deciding on a snow blower for large driveway

I am trying to decide which snow blower to get for a large driveway on a house I recently bought, 400' x 12' with a 40 x 40 pad. The driveway is asphalt and is flat and level. I live on the lower eastern shore of Maryland. Our typical snowfalls are under 6 inches but occasionally we will get 10 -12" (at most once every few or more years). We typically have 5 or less snowfalls per year. I was looking at the Toro Snowmaster 824 QXE but I am unsure if this would be ok for my application. I was also looking at the Ariens Deluxe 28". I need something to get me out of my driveway if we get a 12 inch snowfall.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 01-06-2018, 10:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 216
Sounds like the 824 QXE would be a perfect choice.
post #3 of 33 Old 01-06-2018, 10:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Just to be sure I'm clear, the driveway is 400 feet long, 12 feet wide? With a 40x40 parking area?

I dunno, I guess to me that sounds like maybe something wider than the Snowmaster (24"?) might be helpful. That's a lot of area to clear. Some extra width would help cut down on the number of passes you need. And each pass will take some time, if it's that long.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #4 of 33 Old 01-06-2018, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Yes, the driveway is 400 feet long and 12 feet wide with a 40 x 40 pad in front of the garage (total 6400 sqf). My concern was the snowmaster was not wide enough at 24" but I was hoping I could make up for it with the supposed speed/maneuverability of the snowmaster. I'm just not sure that will be the case.
post #5 of 33 Old 01-06-2018, 11:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
I would be looking for a bigger machine to clear 6400 s.f.

I'm not sure what your budget is but for $100. more than the Ariens Deluxe 28 you can buy a Deluxe 28 SHO it is the best extra $100. you will ever spend (a significant upgrade). You will get a larger engine and a higher speed impeller to throw the snow further. The SHO models can only be purchased through an independent Ariens dealer not at a big box store. Best of luck on your search.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 33 Old 01-07-2018, 08:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexit247 View Post
Yes, the driveway is 400 feet long and 12 feet wide with a 40 x 40 pad in front of the garage (total 6400 sqf). My concern was the snowmaster was not wide enough at 24" but I was hoping I could make up for it with the supposed speed/maneuverability of the snowmaster. I'm just not sure that will be the case.
It may depend on your snowfall.

I had little single-stage machines for a bit. In small storms (like 2" of fluffy snow), they cleared better, and faster, than my big 2-stage machine. I could walk quickly behind them, and their rubber paddles were hitting the pavement, scraping it clean, right down to the pavement. It worked really well. A normal single-stage doesn't have a transmission, you push some, and the rubber paddles hitting the ground help pull it forward.

With a 2-stage, the only thing that might contact the ground is the steel scraper bar, depending on how you adjust it. They're more likely to leave a thin film of snow, vs a single-stage. And you're relying on the transmission to move the machine while blowing.

For the long part of your driveway, at least, maneuverability (ease of turning the machine around, etc) shouldn't be much of a factor. You just need to go straight, for quite a long time. I'd say clearing width and power would be more helpful to you there. If it's just a few inches, you can still speed up the transmission on a 2-stage, and walk faster.

Honestly, this kind of sounds like a situation where the "weird-sounding" (to me) older-machines combo of something like an 8hp engine, and 32" bucket, might be useful. Lots of clearing width, which should make things quicker in small storms. And if the snow is deep/heavy, and the medium-sized engine can't handle taking full passes, then you either slow down, and/or only take partial cuts, using half of the bucket's width, etc, as required.

The Snow Master might be a good fit, I'm not sure, I've never used one (they're fairly new). They would be easier to maneuver than a 2-stage. Though ease-of-handling may become a smaller concern, with a driveway that long. If you were further north, that length would make me think using of a tractor-mounted blower. And those are poor in terms of maneuverability, but good at moving large amounts of snow, in long runs.

When the snow got too deep/heavy (I'm in New England) the single stage machines that I had tended to really struggle. Mine were older, however, and not the best machines on the market, so it's not perfect experience to draw from. My concern is that if the snow was too much for the machine, you'd still have a very large area to clear. If you go with a Snow Master, I'd at least buy as much power as you can (the 824, not the 724)

I think the Deluxe 28 SHO suggestion is a good one, at least vs the standard Deluxe 28, if it's $100 more. You'd get significantly more capability, with the added power.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #7 of 33 Old 01-07-2018, 09:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 18
If you are willing to pay $800 on a single stage machine, why not just spend that money on a 2 stage?

Your driveway is huge! I think you need to plan for that 12"+ storm you get every few years. In that case, a descent 2 stage will out perform a single every time.

I also don't think you need to worry so much about what manufacturer to buy from. Yes, Toro and Ariens are super reliable, but taking into account just how infrequently you are going to be using whatever you purchase and all of the light snowfalls you mentioned, reliability shouldn't be a problem if you take care of it.

I would recommend the Cub Cadet 2x 26". It has a 243cc engine and power steering. So, for the same price as the Toro, you get more clearing width and 2 stages.

There are others, but that's my recommendation. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
post #8 of 33 Old 01-07-2018, 09:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 655
Thanks (Received): 164
Likes (Given): 1023
Likes (Received): 1062
Garage
not sure if a snowblower is enough. pick up truck with plow attachment maybe.

you don't get enough snow except a couple times a season , though. an ATV with plow?

otherwise a Honda 1332.

i saw a guy on you-tube use a tractor with an empty large TV box strapped to front. worked pretty good.
depends on your budget i guess.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #9 of 33 Old 01-07-2018, 09:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 34
Likes (Received): 111
I would look for something at least 32" wide.

Maybe something older but low use in great shape.

Love single stages for most people but That's just too large a driveway for any single stage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Toro snow commander 7hp RTEK ...honda HS720 GC190 OHC
Toro ccr3650 6.5hp RTEK ....Ariens sno-tek 26" 208cc LCT
Ariens st824 924082 HMSK 80 ....Ariens path pro 136cc
post #10 of 33 Old 01-07-2018, 10:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 11
That's a nice size driveway. I would not want to do more laps than necessary. So a minimum 30 inch cut, 10hp. My driveway 1k ft. long and 40 by 20 pad. When I was doing it by myself I use an old school Toro 1132 or Troybilt 1030. Cold light snow, the Troybilt. Heavier snow the Toro, especially for end of driveway hard pack. The Toro is a tank, easily 150 lbs.

If you are handy you can't beat the old Toro's and Ariens. Not a fan of the new stuff.

Northwest NJ
Toro 38090 1132
Toro 826
Troybilt 1030
Murray 524 (1994)
Toro 1000E
Toro 2000E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in