LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-07-2018, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 1
New Machine?

So I've been running an Ariens for the past 30 or so years, my present machine is a ST1032, now this machine has been a workhorse but either I rebuild it again or think about a new one. I go through this every year and just end up fixing my machine. Yesterday I shoveled four and a half feet of snow off of the roof and the Ariens moved it without a hitch but the engine is getting kind of tired, I don't mind working on it but its not exactly a hobby for me and unless I go get the trailer and haul it to the shop I'm usually fixing it in ten degree weather. My question is this either the new Ariens Rapid track or the Honda: HSS1332ATD, I do have a relatively steep driveway and the machine has to be able to handle cement hard snow after its been pushed off of the roof. I just look at these new machines and wonder if they will hold up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-07-2018, 10:12 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 11
If you don't want to rebuild, you could re-power with a Predator motor. Ariens and Honda are quality companies as you know. If money is not an issue I would go with the Honda. Don't know of anyone that hates their Honda. There is a youtube video of a guy with a Ariens 28 deluxe who is not a fan of it. He claims the Ariens rides up in deep snow instead of cutting throught it. He put a 21 lbs weight on the front and claimed it did not help.

Northwest NJ
Toro 38090 1132
Toro 826
Troybilt 1030
Murray 524 (1994)
Toro 1000E
Toro 2000E
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 43128 liked this post
post #3 of 6 Old 01-07-2018, 10:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 148
exactly what do u mean to rebuild?
and every year?

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 01-07-2018, 10:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Weclome to SBF!

Treating the engine to a clean combustion area, valve job (lapping, resetting the lash), carb rebuild and a new head gasket (and head dressing) may be all that's needed.

It can literally be done for < $25 ($40 if you need a lapping dowel & compound) and completed in an afternoon. I'd probably throw-in some new fuel line as well.

I know misery loves company so here it goes: my garage was 15 degrees yesterday and I did this on my neighbor's machine.

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #5 of 6 Old 01-07-2018, 10:47 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
here is my 924044 i predator swapped. i actually found the 420cc for 180 brand new on ebay, added led lights front and rear, battery horns, impeller kit and weight bar. most importantly this thing is an absolute beast in the snow and throws it far and has more power then ill ever need. this year im thinking about adding a tall chute

post #6 of 6 Old 01-07-2018, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnycom View Post
exactly what do u mean to rebuild?
and every year?
A few years ago I had to have the front augers welded up because they had come apart, last year the slip clutch and most of the drive gears. The belts usually go every couple of years, the wheel bearings hub lockouts have been replaced three or four times, chute cable every three or four years($60 a pop) and a good greasing a couple of times a year, now the front end needs to be done up(front bearings) plus the carb rebuild. I guess its not a rebuild but when do you throw in the towel. I just don't want to regret getting rid of this machine for something that was designed to be disposable( allot of plastic). If I could get my hands on another used st1032 that had a good front end I would keep this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page