Help me choose - Noma 5/24, Noma 6.5/24, or Ariens 5/22 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 01-08-2018, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 175
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
Help me choose - Noma 5/24, Noma 6.5/24, or Ariens 5/22

Help me choose, I have a conundrum, not sure what to do.

I am in Central NJ, snows 2-5 times a year, 1" -5" , one 6" -8" or 10" -12", then once every 3 years a 24", have a short driveway that would hold 4 cars plus 100' sidewalk.

I want a large machine, a small machine, and a single stage machine for my own property and I do some neighbors for money.

I am not snowblower poor, just have to many and wife is upset. I have 2 large machines which I'd like to keep both right now as I do walks and drives in the neighborhood and not sure yet which large machine to keep and sell. A 1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp/29" I got last year and a similar year Murray Noma 9hp/27" I got this year. Both have very little mileage on them. I also have a couple of single stage, one to sell, I use for light stuff where a 2 stage is useless getting down to the concrete.

Now this is what I am asking about.

I have 2 smaller machines, both in good shape, both need nothing, either is ready to sell or keep. I want only one small machine.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp 22" , 9" impeller, 15" or so high front housing, I've had for 12 years, in good shape. Very light and mobile, smaller tires, not knobby.

Then a Murray Noma 5hp/24", about a 1995, that has some use on it, the previous owner had a long driveway but still Central NJ, not MA, ME, MI, MN, VT! with a 12" impeller, 16" high front housing, definitely a bigger machine and heavier machine, and bulkier to move around compared to the Ariens, with knobby tires.

As it stands between the two as is, I want to keep the Ariens because it's light and mobile. But I have a second choice.

Selling the 22" Ariens, keeping the 24" Noma only if I removed the 5hp and put on a 212cc 6 1/2hp Predator engine. This way I would have a machine that is still relatively small, though bulky but at least it's not as big, bulky to maneuver, and heavy as the 9 and 10hp, but has more power than 5hp, and substantially more power than a Tecumseh. So I am able to do deeper snow and wetter snow without bringing out the larger 9 and 10hp machines. I'm hoping the Noma with the larger 12" impeller, the higher auger housing, pulling in more snow especially in wet or heavy or deep snow won't overwhelm the Predator. I figure I can use a lower gear or take out the 9hp or 10hp machine, and if I decide o sell the larger 9 & 10hp machines, the Noma with the Predator will still be substantial enough to handle the snows we get.

Opinions, comments, suggestions please.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-08-2018, 11:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 571
The Predator will handle anything you put it on. Fearless Front a few years back had a video of his 10000 series 32 inch Ariens on Youtube with a 6.5 Predator on it........He was doing very well with it in the video. My 24 in ST824 has an older version of the Predator, the WEN sold by Harbor Freight 15 years ago.......It will digest full width, higher then the bucket....sloppy wet....doesn't complain...just boosts the governer. I've got a 32 inch 10000 series I did over last year, but haven't sold yet ( I can refurb faster then I can sell every year)...and If I can't get a good price for it this year, I've got a Hemi on the shelf waiting to try it out...just to see. I can't rave enough about these engines....by the time I clean and rebuild the carb on a small block Tec, file or replace the points, mess with the old governer linkage, replace the rope start........I've got more time into the motor then if I had swapped out a new Predator.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-08-2018, 12:06 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302

Last edited by jtclays; 03-13-2018 at 04:35 PM.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-08-2018, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 175
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
I have so many blowers that I'm not positive but best I can recollect both are single shaft engine. Both blowers are in the same condition, nicer tires on the Noma! I'm not sure about the compression of the engines, both start right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtclays View Post
Is the 5hp Noma you may want to Predatorize a single PTO? I like the little old Ariens, but they usually are cam driven traction (dual shafts). If I was keeping and selling, I'd keep the best condition one that could easily be repowered with a single PTO shaft. Opens your options, IMO.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page