LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 01-09-2018, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 34
$5 well spent.

While looking on Craigslist this past summer for parts I could use on my Areins ST824 I came across an ad for a Troy-Bilt single stage blower. The ad said it ran but was missing some parts. When I got to the guys house I found that the parts that were missing included the fuel tank, oil filler tube and the pull start handle.

Using a funnel he poured a little gas in the remnants of the fuel hose, stuck a rag in the hole the dipstick tube would go and connected a power cord to the electric start. It fired right up but man did it smoke up the place.

No guts no glory, I gave the guy the $5 he was asking and brought it home; I figured I could maybe use the motor for a generator idea I had and sell off some of the other parts and at least make my money back.

When I got home and dumped out the oil I saw that it had a odd blueish green tint to it. I had a machine similar to this many years back with a 2 stroke motor but this one has a 4 stroke and I'll bet ya somebody filled the crankcase on this thing with 2 cycle oil.

I put a pull handle from a old lawn mower on, found a oil filler tube that fit, no dip stick though, jury rigged a gas tank from old push mower onto it and, after I filled the crankcase with some 5w-30 and ran it a bit, the smoke cleared right up.

I hadn't played with it since I brought it home so today I pulled it out of the shed and pushed it around the driveway and into some snow banks. It did a pretty decent job throwing the heavy snow around.

I think I might just put a couple more bucks into this thing and keep it for light duty work.

K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	troybilt.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	124322  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-09-2018, 04:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 41
Garage
Was it smoking because of the 2-cycle oil is so thin? When I bought our house the guy left behind a nice craftsman push mower. I checked the oil and it had a metallic sheen to it, I took the cover off for the air filter and it looked like birds had turned it into a nest, the spark plug I don't think ever got changed either. probably why he left it for me
post #3 of 4 Old 01-09-2018, 05:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 571
nice deal.....
post #4 of 4 Old 01-09-2018, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
Was it smoking because of the 2-cycle oil is so thin?
That would be my guess.

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page