LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 01-10-2018, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 219
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 46
What Brand Sells The Most?

Anyone have any idea of what the breakdown is for newish machines in North America?

After reading this forum for a bit I would think it might be Ariens first followed by Honda than maybe Cub or Husky.

Last edited by barney; 01-10-2018 at 07:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 01-10-2018, 07:41 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302

Last edited by jtclays; 03-13-2018 at 04:48 PM.
post #3 of 38 Old 01-10-2018, 07:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 180
Likes (Received): 41
I dont know the numbers for North America, but in this area MTD brands thru big box stores out sell all others. Which include yardworks, Cub Cadet, Yard machine, to name a few, MTD machines are sold under many names. The appeal seems to be price and exposure. These brands are sitting around most hardware stores. Most people seem to buy them on impulse without much researhing. Toro would be number 2 with Husqvarna 3rd due to local dealer presence.
The majority of the used machines I see listed for sale are MTD.
post #4 of 38 Old 01-10-2018, 07:48 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
unfortunately, mtds are top sellers around here as well. mostly due to uninformed buyers and there everywhere nowadays
post #5 of 38 Old 01-10-2018, 09:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
unfortunately, mtds are top sellers around here as well. mostly due to uninformed buyers and there everywhere nowadays
Why?
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jonnied12 liked this post
post #6 of 38 Old 01-10-2018, 09:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
I agree that MTD is the largest snow blower supplier, but not because their buyers are uninformed. The fact is not everyone wants, needs, or is in position to afford more than an entry level two-stage snow blower.

Perhaps they don't have the clearing area to justify a more expensive machine, or maybe they don't care about more than basic features, or perhaps they'd rather spend their money on something else.

I have a Craftsman (MTD) snow blower, purchased in 2014 for under $600. It has a cheap plastic chute that doesn't catch ice like the expensive steel ones. I added DIY paddles and now my snow blower out throws my neighbor who was more informed so he bought an Ariens.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Clutch Cargo thanked for this post
Likes jonnied12, JLawrence08648 liked this post
post #7 of 38 Old 01-10-2018, 09:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by barney View Post
Anyone have any idea of what the breakdown is for newish machines in North America?

After reading this forum for a bit I would think it might be Ariens first followed by Honda than maybe Cub or Husky.
every forum has a bias, you can't avoid it, it's just a way of life. Here it happens to be Ariens or Honda. No big deal just what it is, but I wouldn't say it's representative of the larger market. Or maybe it is. I don't know. Just saying, recognize the pros/cons of internet information, and accept it.

To answer your question, I think MTD seems to sell a lot. They are a decent machine for the money, not top end, but not total junk either. They work, I had one for nearly 20 years, and it ran perfectly and worked fine when I sold it this year, for $300. Got me through as much as 30 inches of snow. Wasn't easy, but it worked.

there's an ass for every seat, and money dictates volume.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks jonnied12 thanked for this post
post #8 of 38 Old 01-10-2018, 09:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony P. View Post
I agree that MTD is the largest snow blower supplier, but not because their buyers are uninformed. The fact is not everyone wants, needs, or is in position to afford more than an entry level two-stage snow blower.

Perhaps they don't have the clearing area to justify a more expensive machine, or maybe they don't care about more than basic features, or perhaps they'd rather spend their money on something else.

I have a Craftsman (MTD) snow blower, purchased in 2014 for under $600. It has a cheap plastic chute that doesn't catch ice like the expensive steel ones. I added DIY paddles and now my snow blower out throws my neighbor who was more informed so he bought an Ariens.
Excellent post. I had the same experience with my MTD, as I said. If not for the fact I have to do three houses, and three EOD situations, I'd still have it.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes JLawrence08648 liked this post
post #9 of 38 Old 01-10-2018, 09:18 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsup View Post
Why?
i personally think that if buyers did their research better then people would be willing to spend a couple hundred more to get a significantly better quality machine. im not sayings ariens is the best you can buy, and i am not saying mtd is the worst you can buy, believe me you can do way worse. i just think that for a little bit more you can get something way better such as a toro powermax or a deluxe 24. i personally think its sad that most people are to lazy to do a half hour of research and make a wise well looked into purchase. i know if i was spending my hard earned money i would
post #10 of 38 Old 01-10-2018, 09:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 157
Likes (Received): 38
Kind of like peoples preference for Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Honda, Toyota......... They are all good snow blowers and cars and trucks.
You have to keep up on the maintenance on anything mechanical or even the best rated brand will wear out and fail.

Troy-Bilt Storm Tracker 2890
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page