I want no regrets in my snowblower purchase - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 69 Old 01-10-2018, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I want no regrets in my snowblower purchase

Looking to replace a 16 year old 8HP 24 inch Yardman. Live in South East PA so we get a few 6 to 8 inch storms with the occasional 12+ inches. Have a 2 car wide driveway which is about 60 feet long and about 350 feet of sidewalk. Slight slope on driveway, but nothing to worry about. On my corner, we have the school bus stop so I am responsible for cutting a path from the sidewalk to the road. What makes this difficult is the plow always piles up the snow in this exact area. My son has also made a few dollars by knocking on doors in our neighborhood and clearing their driveways and sidewalks.

Here are my goals:
1. No regrets in the future. I would rather overbuy features and power than not have them
2. I am a sucker for features. Heated grips, electric controls for chutes, etc. Even though they many not be practical, I love them!
3. Ability for my wife to use the snowblower when I'm traveling. She likes clearing snow but did not enjoy having to throw around the Yardman to get it to turn. Also it was very hard to start without the electric start.
4. I want to never worry if we get 20 inches of snow!

Where I live, we have a lot of equipment dealers. There are 3 dealers within 15 minutes of my house so I have access to Ariens, Honda, Cub Cadet, Toro, and Simplicity. Went to one dealer yesterday and described what I was looking for. He told me that:

1. The Honda's were great, but were more than I needed
2. Toro's were a good choice, but not his first choice based on his service calls and reliability
3. Was not a huge fan of the Cub Cadet line based on value (opinion was you could spend $100 more and get a better machine from Ariens or Toro)
4. Huge fan of the Ariens line and thought that the Deluxe 24 was the right product for me

I kept asking him about the added features on the Platinum line (heated grips, auto chute, bigger engine, EFI, and SHO) and he said that I can sell you one with all the bells and whistles, but you will never really get the benefit based on the size of my property. He strongly felt that the Deluxe 24 (No SHO) was the perfect model for me. He had all the models in stock so this was not a case of him pushing a certain unit because he did not have inventory on the others. I actually had a salesperson trying to sell me down to a lower level machine.

Here are my questions.
1. Do you think I'm "crazy" by trying to get these added features?
2. Thoughts on EFI? Is it worth the $300?
3. Should I include the Honda's in my consideration set? If so, any reco on which model?
4. Has anyone ever overbought features and regret it?
5. 24 inch model seems perfect for me. Is there any real reason to go up to 28 or 30?

Appreciate all the help. I'm 52 and hoping this is my last snowblower purchase I will ever need to make. Willing to spend more to get quality and features.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 Old 01-12-2018, 07:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 219
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 46
Let me guess. The dealer was primarily an Ariens dealer. I would suggest that having a good relationship with the service dealer most honest in your area should rank right up there with what machine you should get.

Based on my reading here, there are no brands that can absolutely deliver "no regret" 100% of the time. They all can give problems. I've come across many Ariens problem posts just as you will find for others.

So with that said other than the cheapest off brand names, I would think any 8 hp 24 or 26 inch with some kind of steering assist will do the job you need done.

Last edited by barney; 01-12-2018 at 07:19 PM.
post #3 of 69 Old 01-12-2018, 07:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 60
Likes (Received): 188
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller3 View Post
Looking to replace a 16 year old 8HP 24 inch Yardman. Live in South East PA so we get a few 6 to 8 inch storms with the occasional 12+ inches. Have a 2 car wide driveway which is about 60 feet long and about 350 feet of sidewalk. Slight slope on driveway, but nothing to worry about. On my corner, we have the school bus stop so I am responsible for cutting a path from the sidewalk to the road. What makes this difficult is the plow always piles up the snow in this exact area. My son has also made a few dollars by knocking on doors in our neighborhood and clearing their driveways and sidewalks.

Here are my goals:
1. No regrets in the future. I would rather overbuy features and power than not have them
2. I am a sucker for features. Heated grips, electric controls for chutes, etc. Even though they many not be practical, I love them!
3. Ability for my wife to use the snowblower when I'm traveling. She likes clearing snow but did not enjoy having to throw around the Yardman to get it to turn. Also it was very hard to start without the electric start.
4. I want to never worry if we get 20 inches of snow!

1 yr used 28 pro
new 28 pro

Where I live, we have a lot of equipment dealers. There are 3 dealers within 15 minutes of my house so I have access to Ariens, Honda, Cub Cadet, Toro, and Simplicity. Went to one dealer yesterday and described what I was looking for. He told me that:

1. The Honda's were great, but were more than I needed
2. Toro's were a good choice, but not his first choice based on his service calls and reliability
3. Was not a huge fan of the Cub Cadet line based on value (opinion was you could spend $100 more and get a better machine from Ariens or Toro)
4. Huge fan of the Ariens line and thought that the Deluxe 24 was the right product for me

I kept asking him about the added features on the Platinum line (heated grips, auto chute, bigger engine, EFI, and SHO) and he said that I can sell you one with all the bells and whistles, but you will never really get the benefit based on the size of my property. He strongly felt that the Deluxe 24 (No SHO) was the perfect model for me. He had all the models in stock so this was not a case of him pushing a certain unit because he did not have inventory on the others. I actually had a salesperson trying to sell me down to a lower level machine.

Here are my questions.
1. Do you think I'm "crazy" by trying to get these added features?
2. Thoughts on EFI? Is it worth the $300?
3. Should I include the Honda's in my consideration set? If so, any reco on which model?
4. Has anyone ever overbought features and regret it?
5. 24 inch model seems perfect for me. Is there any real reason to go up to 28 or 30?

Appreciate all the help. I'm 52 and hoping this is my last snowblower purchase I will ever need to make. Willing to spend more to get quality and features.
1 yr old used 28 pro 1500
new 28 pro 2200
post #4 of 69 Old 01-12-2018, 07:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 5
I feel like everyone loves their Honda blower but they're pricey. If it were me and I didn't want to pay for a Honda I would personally get an ariens.
post #5 of 69 Old 01-12-2018, 07:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Another Honda or Ariens thead...just sayin.

Hey OP, let me ask you something... did your yardman ever let you down? Did it do everything you need it to do? Are you doing more than just your property?

What's the reason you're looking for a new machine? What is it that you use for criteria for your purchase? Are you looking for validation or information?

Last edited by jsup; 01-12-2018 at 07:42 PM.
post #6 of 69 Old 01-12-2018, 07:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
IMO the 24 deluxe is useless unless you buy it for 200 or 300 bucks
i still woudnt buy it
id rather have the a 358cc tec flatty
or a 318cc ohv on anything
post #7 of 69 Old 01-12-2018, 07:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 352
Likes (Received): 162
The Simplicity P1728E (28") 420cc Signature Pro has everything the OP has asked for in his opening post. I'm shocked that he has not looked at one or at the very least, bought one and posted the pics for us to see.

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #8 of 69 Old 01-12-2018, 07:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by barney View Post
Let me guess. The dealer was primarily an Ariens dealer. I would suggest that having a good relationship with the service dealer most honest in your area should rank right up there with what machine you should get.

Based on my reading here, there are no brands that can absolutely deliver "no regret" 100% of the time. They all can give problems. I've come across many Ariens problem posts just as you will find for others.

So with that said other than the cheapest off brand names, I would think any 8 hp 24 or 26 inch with some kind of steering assist will do the job you need done.
just about all dealers lie
its why they called stealerships
they prey on those that are uniformed or dont know any better
If i went into a dealer with the wants the op listed and he said a 24 deluxe i would walk out
as he must not know blowers very well or more likely he has 150 of them and he is trying get rid of it
thats a for sure regret machine imo
post #9 of 69 Old 01-12-2018, 07:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
The Simplicity P1728E (28") 420cc Signature Pro has everything the OP has asked for in his opening post. I'm shocked that he has not looked at one or at the very least, bought one and posted the pics for us to see.
That's why I asked if he was looking for information or validation. I bought the Simplicity Signature 1524, which would be plenty for him. Not pushing it or anything else, don't know his needs, desires, or requirements, but when I buy a car I check every box and keep it till the wheels fall off... Toyota Sequoia going on 225K miles.

If someone wants no regrets, the Simplicity has everything PLUS electric chute controls. (which I think kick ass) Why it was ruled out, seems to be, like I said, a search for validation.
post #10 of 69 Old 01-12-2018, 08:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 55
Thanks (Received): 44
Likes (Given): 209
Likes (Received): 125
Garage
Well, the Hondas have a 3 year commercial warranty as well as a 3 year residential one. The Honda HSS1332 has a load sensor which stops the augers so you do not need shear bolts. There is also an hour meter, and a hydrostatic drive. I am waiting for Honda to add EFI, hopefully soon. At 62, I should have gotten the track drive, it does not ride up on the end of driveway pile. This is more important when you get into your older age and don't want to manhandle a machine. The Honda does not have heated grips.

For the Ariens, I would buy the EFI model for sure unless you are going to use non-ethanol fuel and drain the tank each year. I think the EFI will not get gummed up in the off season without a lot of fuss. I like their Platinum series with the 369cc engine, and that 24 inch model SHO EFI has an impressive power/size ratio. Their professional model, the Ariens Hydro Pro 28" ST28DLET 420cc Track Drive Snow Blower must be a fine machine, though not EFI yet and it is close to the price of the top of the line Honda 1332.

No regrets is tough though! Each brand has its strengths and its faults. If Honda ever makes an EFI, load sensor, track drive, hydrostatic transmission and electric start, I think it will be close to a "no regrets" machine. I have the Honda HSS 928AWD with the wheels, shear bolts and a carb that has to be "managed" at the end of the season. It does bog down at the end of the driveway pile. It also rides up at the end of driveway pile and takes some strength to keep it level. It will break shear bolts if it hits something. So, even with a premium brand, there is some imperfection.
Buy the best you can afford and remember that over 17 years, a $1000 difference is about 59 bucks a year.

Last edited by Miles; 01-12-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page