LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 01-11-2018, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 217
Are you visible while snow blowing?

While snow blowing the EOD, I have had many close calls with vehicles. I now wear reflective clothing similar to this. I also have refelctive tape on the machine . When I have time , I will be adding led running lights to the machine.

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks jrom thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 01-11-2018, 03:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 180
Likes (Received): 41
Ditto. Never too much visibility near the street and around town. I wear the same and have reflective tape everywhere its practical. My truck is usually at the street where I unload with an amber strobe light on the roof and 4 ways on. Ive been doing commercial for many years now and like you I have had some close calls. Can be down right scary out there.
Ive been looking at ways to add strobes on the blower but have not found a way that it would work without shining in my face.
post #3 of 35 Old 01-11-2018, 03:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
When you get the LED lights, get the strobe type, their easier to see. I have a couple extra 12V feeds, I'm going to put the strobe LEDs on the sides.

My wife bought me solid white pants and jacket to do the EOD for Christmas. Should be OK right?

Last edited by jsup; 01-11-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes YSHSfan liked this post
post #4 of 35 Old 01-11-2018, 03:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 44
Yep. I live on a blind curve not far from town barns and the snowplows are back and forth past my house constantly. Gotta be seen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jacket.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	124714  
post #5 of 35 Old 01-11-2018, 03:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 41
Garage
moving to a house on a busy street has defiantly got me thinking about getting something like this especially when get the snoblower going on the tractor I'm thinking about getting some strobe lights for it.
post #6 of 35 Old 01-11-2018, 03:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 123
Thanks (Received): 117
Likes (Given): 257
Likes (Received): 138
Our road is rural so the cars are usually going by "fast" and while blowing about a week ago I was reminded of the risk.

I was about half-way down the main run of our driveway so I was still over 100 yrd's from the road when I saw a SUV start to slide and end up going into the ditch almost right across from the end of our driveway. That's been my biggest concern while down there, someone losing control and taking me out so I always stop and watch as cars pass by.

What I wear when down there is one of those yellow, mesh, vests with reflective stripes, the same style our youngest son wears while working as an Electrical Lineman, although his is FR (Fire Resistant.) They are lightweight, easy to put on and take off over my snow blowing coat and costs under $10. On top of that they dry off fast........

I have a couple and prefer the type with the zipper, as opposed to Velcro, which tends to stick to the mesh of the vest when putting it on.

https://www.jharlen.com/p-11752-clas...zip-front.aspx

Go left.....No, your other left!
post #7 of 35 Old 01-11-2018, 03:44 PM

Location: Magnetic Hill, New Brunswick Canada Average snowfall (111.0'')282.0cms
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 532
I wear a powerful LED headlamp with a flashing red light on the back.

Similar to this one.

https://www.banggood.com/5000Lm-CREE...r_warehouse=CN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
''Never drive faster than your guardian ANGEL can fly''
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Coby7; 01-11-2018 at 03:47 PM.
post #8 of 35 Old 01-11-2018, 03:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 5
I wear my black jacket. So that goes against the white snow and then the fact my machine has a light and throws snow 40ft in the air may make people notice me
post #9 of 35 Old 01-11-2018, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
This is very sad.

GRAND TRAVERSE COUNTY, Mich., (WPBN/WGTU ó A 25-year-old Kingsley man was killed while snowblowing his driveway Wednesday evening.

It happened around 5:40 p.m. on Voice Road between Garfield and Summit Road.

According to the Grand Traverse County Sheriff's Department, a 29-year-old Maple City woman lost control of her car and left the road. She hit the man, dragging him into a ditch.
post #10 of 35 Old 01-11-2018, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Please think safety when you're out in the snow. Between slippery roadways and blinding snow, anything you do near traffic has the potential to be hazardous.

Yesterday evening in Topsfield, 59-year-old Edgar Rhodes was struck by a truck as he was snowblowing the end of his driveway. He was killed instantly.
The trucks driver was treated at the scene and a passenger was not injured.

Out of this tragic story comes a wake-up call. Situational awareness. Whether you're clearing your driveway after a storm or walking along the road, always be mindful of where you are in relationship to traffic. It's much harder to stop or even have control in a vehicle when the streets are icy. Don't assume you're safe just because you're not in a travel lane. It only takes a fraction of a second for an otherwise good day to turn deadly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page