post #1 of 43 Old 01-12-2018, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 190
Garage
How Big is Too Big ???

Just floating this question out for comment as I am considering buying another machine.

I have been armchair shopping Toro Powershift Blowers in my area . . . there seems to be a steady supply and demand for those machines.

I have been focusing on 24" wide models, but there are also a few 28" models offered once in a while. This machine will most likely be garage kept, so I'll have to get it out between 2 cars as needed. My prior/current machines have all been 21-24" wide, so they barely fit between the cars.

I am assuming the 1132 (32" wide) models will be too wide to keep in a garage shared with cars. Just wondering if a 28" might be manageable and what others have experienced in buying a bigger machine than the common 24" models.

Options are in the PowerShift series are:
  • 824 (8 hp 24")
  • 1028 (10 HP 28")
  • 1132 (11 HP 32")
I think the 1028 has a slight power advantage over the other 2 models in terms of HP vs. width. Just wondering if it would be too wide to get out of the garage. BTW - my garage is a bit undersized in width . . . only 20 feet vs. the more typical 24 ft. (2 feet more in depth though . . 20' x 26') so I typically have a bit more space at the front of the cars for the blowers.

Regards, Ted
Current & Past Fleet:
2017 Husqvarna ST224 (SOLD)
2014 Troy-Bilt 2410 w/ Briggs & Stratton 305cc Engine
2003 Ariens ST824LE (SOLD)
1999 Toro PowerShift 824 w/ 318cc OHV Tecumseh Engine
1988 Toro 521 w/ 212cc Predator Engine
1985 Toro 3521 w/ 179cc Powermore Engine (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 01-12-2018, 03:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 326
I can tell you what I ran into and experience somewhat related here. When I picked up the Searsasaurus it was a 10HP 32" wide 3 stage. It was too wide to get through the garage access door and barely fit between the house and the fence going from the backyard to front yard. It was a tight squeeze to get between the vehicles too without risk of paint or body damage. I liked the HP, condition etc of the unit, just not the width. I found a 26" auger assembly that fit it, rebuilt and repainted it and swapped out the 32" for a 26". That fit through the doors, between the house and fence and between the cars much better. It was the best solution available and I went for it.

For me, that was the best solution. I think unless you planned on some auger housing changes, 28" would be a stretch if it fit through the doors, otherwise 26" and below would be a better choice for most IMO.

My 2 cents.
post #3 of 43 Old 01-12-2018, 03:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 41
Garage
how big is your driveway?
post #4 of 43 Old 01-12-2018, 03:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 571
I've had a couple of 824's and one 1028. I prefered the 1028 only because of the Briggs engine.....in my experience the Briggs has more oomph then the Tec's...and I've never seen a Briggs with a hole in the block, though I'm sure there may be one around somewhere. That said, the powershift is unmatchable on the EOD piles.....mine all sucked with wet snow, but an impeller kit is all they need.
post #5 of 43 Old 01-12-2018, 03:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 60
Likes (Received): 185
Garage
I would find a wy to make the 28 work
myself i wanted a 30 inch width
sold the 32 inch woudnt fit down the ide of the house
the 28 i bought is tight turning the corner outback
glad i didnt get a 30 now
still have the st824 its perfect for the back and side
still want a 36 inch beast though
post #6 of 43 Old 01-12-2018, 03:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 219
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 46
Due to only needing to blow a 90 ft narrow walkway and a short 1 car parking spot I was hoping to get a 22 or 24 inch but had to settle for a 826. Would rather the 24 with the 8hp all things equal.

I can't imagine needing anything bigger than a 26 inch unless one had over a 90 ft. long and wide driveway.

I guess there is a "how small is too small" question too.
post #7 of 43 Old 01-12-2018, 04:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
I didn't read the other responses, but here's my thoughts. I have two criteria, how many passes do I have to make, and can I move this thing around to places where I have to move it. In and out of the garage and such.

A lot of what I do is sidewalk, so I make 2 passes, one going down, one coming back. So the sidewalk is 36 inches or so, so no matter what machine I had, I'd still have to walk down and back. So the 24 inch is plenty.

My driveway is 25 feet wide. That's 12 passes with a 24 inch. A 28 inch is 11 passes, hardly a difference. A 32 is 10 passes. a 36 is 9 passes.

So the question is, is it worth 3 passes on the driveway to have to deal with a 36 inch monster? I can barely get the 24 inch in and out of the garage behind the cars, into the shed, etc... It's just a monster to move around where I'm at. Now, if I had one of those beautiful shops some others around the country have, like the 30x50 shops, it wouldn't be a problem, my shed is 14x12 with two 30 inch doors that open from the middle.

At my dad's house, he has a narrow sidewalk around the side that we use an Airens 20 inch on , because any bigger is a hassle.

I live in a place where the homes are on 75x100 lots, so it's not all that much real estate to do, so the 24 is fine for me.

if I had more to do, I may have gone bigger.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes barney, tpenfield liked this post
post #8 of 43 Old 01-12-2018, 04:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 148
if u can get big... bigger..... biggest motor for a small bucket that would probably suit ur needs, unless your blowing needs are for a huge area, but storing it should be part of the equation when buying

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 43 Old 01-12-2018, 04:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 8
Garage
This thread badly needs some pictures of some monsters lurking in peoples garages...

"The first fall of snow is not only an event, it is a magical event. You go to bed in one kind of a world and wake up in another quite different, and if this is not enchantment then where is it to be found?" -J. B. Priestley

My Garage: Snapper 5/22 (dead,) 2017 Cub Cadet 2x 28"
post #10 of 43 Old 01-12-2018, 04:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDangerous View Post
This thread badly needs some pictures of some monsters lurking in peoples garages...
cant fit my baby in the garage, so its here instead

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180112_162118.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	124946  

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in