LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 01-13-2018, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 219
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 46
Engine clones.

I'm seeing many a mention Honda engine clones and the term "GX". Are all the Chinese engines we are seeing on the main brands these days Honda engine clones? And in particular GX clones?

*pardon my engine ignorance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-14-2018, 04:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by barney View Post
I'm seeing many a mention Honda engine clones and the term "GX". Are all the Chinese engines we are seeing on the main brands these days Honda engine clones? And in particular GX clones?

*pardon my engine ignorance.
I guess the word to live and die by is if does not say Honda on it. then it is 1 that has been copied from Honda.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 22 Old 01-14-2018, 06:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 190
Garage
Clones might not be totally accurate . . . Part interchangeability between a Honda and a 'no-name' brand would be an indication if the engine were 'cloned' (i.e. copied) from the Honda series of engines.

Most of these engines are pretty similar in their design . . . so who's to say what is a clone and what is an original

Regards, Ted
Current & Past Fleet:
2017 Husqvarna ST224 (SOLD)
2014 Troy-Bilt 2410 w/ Briggs & Stratton 305cc Engine
2003 Ariens ST824LE (SOLD)
1999 Toro PowerShift 824 w/ 318cc OHV Tecumseh Engine
1988 Toro 521 w/ 212cc Predator Engine
1985 Toro 3521 w/ 179cc Powermore Engine (SOLD)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jsup liked this post
post #4 of 22 Old 01-14-2018, 08:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 86
Like Power said, if it has Honda on it, good chance it is (lol, not 1000% guaranteed) . If it does not, then it is some other brand. People call anything other than the original a clone when it resembles the characters of the original. I would assume some of their parts are pretty much interchangeable, possibly even coming from the same source?
post #5 of 22 Old 01-14-2018, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 336
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneacer View Post
I would assume some of their parts are pretty much interchangeable, possibly even coming from the same source?
They might be intechangeable, but they are not from the same source. The Chinese criminals (opps, I mean "manufacturers") who make the cloned engines and parts start with a real Honda engine, take it apart, then copy/clone literally every part..then create and sell whole engines that are copies of the Honda engine. (Although severly lacking in the original Honda quality control.) The cloned parts are made by the criminals (opps, I mean "manufacturers"), while the genine Honda parts are made by Honda

There are Chinese criminals (opps, I mean "companys") cloning entire cars! Of couse it's illegal in civilized countrys, but the Chinese governent looks the other way, because its good for the Chinese economy.

This story is over a decade old, but its still going on, worse than ever:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...the-honda-cr-v

Scot

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks orangputeh thanked for this post
Likes AriensPro1128 liked this post
post #6 of 22 Old 01-14-2018, 08:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpenfield View Post
Clones might not be totally accurate . . . Part interchangeability between a Honda and a 'no-name' brand would be an indication if the engine were 'cloned' (i.e. copied) from the Honda series of engines.

Most of these engines are pretty similar in their design . . . so who's to say what is a clone and what is an original
Many parts are interchangeable, even the internals like connecting rods. It's a complete knock off.

Let me tell ya something, I have a friend that makes high precision high performance parts for high performance engines. He has five axis CNCs, CNC Lathes, Multiple Bridgeports, etc... He's a real operation, not some slack off 1/2 assed backyard hobby.

He says he can send drawings to China, get back a prototype inside a week, with quality as good as he can do in his shop. Point is, just because it's a "knock off" or "made in China" does NOT necessarily mean it's junk. From what I've learned about these engines, if the parts are interchangeable, the quality can be, and probably is, very similar to the original engine that was copied, and could be better.

Too bad these "knock offs" don't come from the factory as snow versions.
post #7 of 22 Old 01-14-2018, 09:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 86
Was not aware that Honda produced in house all there parts down to there nuts and screws. Most Corporations outsource many parts.

BTW, the Predator I put on one of my Ariens far outperforms the new Briggs on the other one.Going strong for years now.

Last edited by oneacer; 01-14-2018 at 09:06 AM.
post #8 of 22 Old 01-14-2018, 09:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 217
post #9 of 22 Old 01-14-2018, 09:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
They might be intechangeable, but they are not from the same source. The Chinese criminals (opps, I mean "manufacturers") who make the cloned engines and parts start with a real Honda engine, take it apart, then copy/clone literally every part..then create and sell whole engines that are copies of the Honda engine. (Although severly lacking in the original Honda quality control.) The cloned parts are made by the criminals (opps, I mean "manufacturers"), while the genine Honda parts are made by Honda

There are Chinese criminals (opps, I mean "companys") cloning entire cars! Of couse it's illegal in civilized countrys, but the Chinese governent looks the other way, because its good for the Chinese economy.

This story is over a decade old, but its still going on, worse than ever:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...the-honda-cr-v

Scot
Unless it's patented, it's open to be copied. I agree on you with the ethics of doing it, but "criminal"? In which case Harbor Freight is "criminal" for selling them.

As far as QC goes, you'd be surprised of the quality you can get out of China. Just because it's Made In China does not automatically means it's junk anymore. Iphones are Made In China, the computer you type on, your TV, etc...

The QC in China can be very good. What is eliminated is the Honda Tax. (like a boat tax or Corvette tax) We see what can be made for how much money without that tax.
post #10 of 22 Old 01-14-2018, 09:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ01915 View Post

From the link:

If the engine does not match a specific product's requirements, it may not perform to optimum level, and MAY EVEN BE DANGEROUS!!!

Oh the drama. If you don't pay a Honda tax, you and your family may be killed by this engine! C'mon.

They are saying it's so close the only way to tell is the serial number, but not so close it will kill you!

For the record, I am not supporting badging these things as Hondas to collect the Honda tax, that's just wrong. But "KILL YOU"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page