Who uses plug in electric start and why? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 85 Old 01-16-2018, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 8
Garage
Who uses plug in electric start and why?

I am new to the snow throwing world, so explain this one to me please.

It takes 5-10 minutes to run and then re-coil an extension cord. It takes 3-5 seconds to pull start a snow blower. Why would anyone, EVER, use an extension cord to start their machine?

Theoretically if you are strong enough to manhandle a blower around your property you should be able to pull-start it as well, no? My last snow blower didn't have it, my new one does, but I can't imagine ever using it. To me the bigger units with an on-board battery make sense because they you can just flick a switch and hit the starter button. Downside of course is that it's one more battery to keep alive...haha.

Seriously though, why do people bother?

"The first fall of snow is not only an event, it is a magical event. You go to bed in one kind of a world and wake up in another quite different, and if this is not enchantment then where is it to be found?" -J. B. Priestley

My Garage: Snapper 5/22 (dead,) 2017 Cub Cadet 2x 28"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 Old 01-16-2018, 03:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 175
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
My 5hp I pull start, my 9 & 10hp I use the electric start because of the high compression. On the nights of snow, I keep it near the back door where's there's an outlet outside though it will start easily pulling, but just in case.

However, I have no shed, garage is full, so my equipment is kept outside under a tarp.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale

Last edited by JLawrence08648; 01-16-2018 at 04:21 PM.
post #3 of 85 Old 01-16-2018, 03:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 158
It overcomes cold engines completely and remembering to pull the starter cord enough to make sure the piston is top dead center to avoid having it kick back from not having compression release and reminding your shoulder who is boss.

That is why I use my space heater to warm up my snow pups and all my other small engines and my truck as they barely bark when they start. The pups are so happy to be warm when they get to work. I also dry them off with the space heater to help them last longer as it dries out the salt sticking to the pups paddles and metal sides.

With the little electric ankle biters its a case of there are very light and I do not want to smell like engine exhaust and have to take a shower after every time I use it.
post #4 of 85 Old 01-16-2018, 03:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 29
I use it sometimes, not always. Mostly because its cool and I get a kick out of it. The little Toro 2 stroke is so easy to pull and start its not worth it. In fact I used it for the first time last year after having the machine for 10 yrs give or take just to see if it actually worked and then maybe once since then.

The 8 hp Tecumseh takes a little more to pull but not so much that I rely on the electric start.

You know when it comes in handy, is when you're working on them and have to keep stopping and starting the engine.

My generator is $%#&! to pull start, more so since I use straight 30W oil so I use electric start on that a lot. A portable battery box is good for that one.
post #5 of 85 Old 01-16-2018, 04:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 31
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 81
I put a new Briggs on one of my Ariens, with electric start, only because my wife was using it ... made it easier for her. I have a dedicated retractable cord going to it out of the ceiling.
post #6 of 85 Old 01-16-2018, 04:15 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302

Last edited by jtclays; 03-13-2018 at 05:07 PM.
post #7 of 85 Old 01-16-2018, 04:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 148
my 1980's 10hp craftsman, Stored outside, 1 pull start

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by vinnycom; 01-16-2018 at 05:24 PM.
post #8 of 85 Old 01-16-2018, 05:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 6
Usually pull start for the initial start, but electric start if I stop & start the engine, sometimes, especially my single-stage with a Tec Snow King 5 hp flathead engine. If it's not cooled off, it is sometimes hard for me to figure out how much to close the choke & prime it for a restart.
post #9 of 85 Old 01-16-2018, 05:09 PM

Location: Montérégie, QC Canada - Average annual snowfall 90 in, 230 cm
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 7
You need to go back 40 - 50 years ago when them old Tecumseh's, Kohler's and Briggs could be real monsters to start, to make the starting task easier eventually 12 volt and 120 volt starting systems began to be offered as additional $$ options on some larger model displacement engines to make starting these suckers easier. Nowadays with electronic ignition, solid state & engine winterizing, OHV and all the other engine and modern manufacturing advancement engines below12-13 hp have become very easy to start just with the standard recoil pull starter, however modern technology has lowered the cost of electric starters to the point that it has almost become a standard option on most engines especially snow blower and residential lawn tractor destined engines. As modern life has forced many women or kids to operate all these machines without a hubby and this is a very good thing as well as for all who live longer and older.

Anyone remember the cotton ropes and wooden T handle we would coil around the engine recoil starter cup and yank on like maniacs to get engines started.

Ariens Compact 24 with B&S Polar Force engine, Craftsman 9522 SS with B&S Polar Force engine, Yards Works 21'' SS with Tecumseh 7 hp engine.

Last edited by Attaboy; 01-16-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt, jrom, orangputeh, jonnied12 liked this post
post #10 of 85 Old 01-16-2018, 05:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
I mostly use mine first start of the year.

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page